Quantcast

project questions

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay guys im doing a sr project down here in north carolina and i am doing it on effects a mtb has on trail erosion if you guys could give me some good links to web sights about this stuff i would be much appreciative. thanks

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
uhmmmmm the site that woody keen has up and running for his trail building company, damn ill see if i can find it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
word. also woody would certainly respond to e-mails with questions and possibly do an interview if he had time. Also another good contact would be Ken Lee. He lead some of the trail projects throughout western NC for a while but i dont know what he is up to now.

You should use Caney Bottoms as an example trail and in my opinion you should mention the effects that cyclists have on the trail by going around puddles making the trail wider and then ultimately the puddles larger.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
You should use Caney Bottoms as an example trail and in my opinion you should mention the effects that cyclists have on the trail by going around puddles making the trail wider and then ultimately the puddles larger.
What about that deep freaking rut?? That would shed some negative light though. :nope:

I bet if he contacted Woody Keen and Trail Dynamics, they just about write the project for him.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I took a mountian biking class when I was in college, the professor had a lot of ideas about trail erosion including the beneficial impacts of mountain bikes, horses and hikers. I don't think he had any personal research but he might be able to share his resources list with you or maybe give you the contact information for a grad student who would. His faculty page with his email address is http://www.byu.edu/rmyl/faculty/widmer.html

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
What about that deep freaking rut?? That would shed some negative light though. :nope:

I bet if he contacted Woody Keen and Trail Dynamics, they just about write the project for him.
i love the rut!!!!!its freakin great!!!!!!!!tire eating pedal draggin san andreas fault of the east is what that thing is.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Kornphlake said:
I took a mountian biking class when I was in college, the professor had a lot of ideas about trail erosion including the beneficial impacts of mountain bikes, horses and hikers. I don't think he had any personal research but he might be able to share his resources list with you or maybe give you the contact information for a grad student who would. His faculty page with his email address is http://www.byu.edu/rmyl/faculty/widmer.html

Daaamn... you can take a college class mountain biking these days?

I shoulda waited!!!

:(

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yo,
I've got a project as well, on the evolution of the bicycle. I need to make something, but i've just been flustered with a bunch of bomb-ass homework, and haven't gotten much time to think. I really don't want to make a lame-ass poster board with cut and paste pictures, something cool...I'm trying to talk my teach into letting me bring my DH bike in to show how cycling technology has evolved, but it may be a bit difficult...Thanks for any ideas!

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
wow guys that was info overload thanks for all the great information and people to interview. that is just what i needed to get this thing off the ground. and maybee by doing this project i will help bikers get a better name even if it is from only a few people thanks again for all the info and i will deffinatly post on how the project turns out. :thumb: :D

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
hey biggins do you know how i can get ahold of ken lee. cause that would be very helpfull the more interviews the better. ohh hrtlbro i would just suckup to the teach as much as possible and then bring in the bike anyways. dont ask just do so then she will think that your an over-achiever and that is a rare thing for a biker. and find a quick and easy way to get the bike too and from school. like talk to a teacher that you know really well and see if they will let you leave the bike in there classroom untill your project. or you can get your mom or dad or whoever to drop it off at the time of your project and then send it back home with them.

Its always easier to ask for forgivnesss then it is to ask for permission.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
me89 said:
hey biggins do you know how i can get ahold of ken lee. cause that would be very helpfull the more interviews the better.
http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com/SRAM tent.htm

Here is a picture of ken.

If biggins doesn't know, I'd guess that Fred at Pro Bikes may know. Maybe Butch (bizutch) might know.

Also Julie White the NC IMBA rep would be another good interview. Her information is available at IMBA.COM. I don't want to post it directly.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
me89 said:
hey biggins do you know how i can get ahold of ken lee. cause that would be very helpfull the more interviews the better. ohh hrtlbro i would just suckup to the teach as much as possible and then bring in the bike anyways. dont ask just do so then she will think that your an over-achiever and that is a rare thing for a biker. and find a quick and easy way to get the bike too and from school. like talk to a teacher that you know really well and see if they will let you leave the bike in there classroom untill your project. or you can get your mom or dad or whoever to drop it off at the time of your project and then send it back home with them.

Its always easier to ask for forgivnesss then it is to ask for permission.
fred may know or shoot woody and e-mail or the brbc site as well. i have not even seen ken in about a year but i hear he is still around.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay guys need your help again. do you know any websites that i can get information on the history on our sport of mountain biking. also if you guys know some riders that help put our sport on the map would also be some really great info. i know john tomac but some guys that arent quite as well known thanks guys for the help.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
me89 said:
okay guys need your help again. do you know any websites that i can get information on the history on our sport of mountain biking. also if you guys know some riders that help put our sport on the map would also be some really great info. i know john tomac but some guys that arent quite as well known thanks guys for the help.
Jeezus, man. http://www.google.com/

Try "mountain bike history" or something........ :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
no way. i asked you guys for more unknown stuff i thought someone might have already found something that i could use. i know to use google. and i kinda wanted to get you guys involved in something that affected you. sorry for asking for some help.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
me89 said:
no way. i asked you guys for more unknown stuff i thought someone might have already found something that i could use. i know to use google. and i kinda wanted to get you guys involved in something that affected you. sorry for asking for some help.
Geez. I was joking. Lighten up a little. :nuts:

-S.S.-

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
sry man sometimes i get a little worked up it wasnt the greatest of days. hahahaha. and yes i used google and found mtb hall of fame, and thanks for the others dRB. and man does that first flight web site help i have been needing vintage pictures for a little while now thanks.