Quantcast

Project: Scrap Pile

LR Max

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Clemson, SC
I've been XC'ing an old GT Aggressor for the last few years and haven't thought much about my bike. In the last past year a lot of stuff started falling apart so I would replace it with decent replacement parts (shifters, cranks, wheelsets, rear drlr, other little crap). Still, I could only run a 1" steer tube so I was stuck with an old crappy RST front fork. It was pretty much rigid and jumps were an interesting affair.

Then I rode a new bike...holy crap!! Friggen awesome!! So I decided to begin a build. Kaiser, my huge cat will be assisting me in the build.

My goal for this project was to build a good, fairly lightweight cross country bike. However, if needed (and did) extra weight could be added in order to increase strength. All of my buddies love downhill and freeride. Neither one really appeals to me but I know for a fact that I'll get talked into it. So I need the bike to be able to handle this.

Here is the old GT Aggressor. Great bike, fun to ride, but unbelievably outdated. Front rim...well...don't worry about that little guy.

Kaiser inspects the old parts to make sure they are in good condition for the new build.

Kaiser tests out the new frame to make sure it is structurally sound. Its a Soul Cycle Titan 18" frame. This particular frame was a "factory blemish" but appears to be structurally sound. Paint is kinda messed up but you can't tell unless you rub your hands over it.

Fatty and the frame

Dammit. I got talked into a Nixon front fork...

I think I pretty much have everything I need to rebuild my bike with the new fork, frame, and front tire. I have a front BB7 coming in soon which will handle braking duties for the front. Standard V-brakes will be used out back until I can afford to upgrade. I am sticking to mechanicals since my front shifters are integrated and awesome.

I really need a stem and a front drlr to get this thing on the trail. I am also looking for a long cage rear drlr since this short one isn't to my liking. Also I am going to need new tires at some point. If anybody has any of this locally (clemson area), I'd be more than interested in talking to you about it. I'd prefer shimano equipment but anything that'll work with shimano shifters and is in good shape is fine.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Max nice to see you procuring parts for your ride. Hope to see you out there on the 21st. Freeriding is the best remedy for mechanical engineering.

jon

LR Max

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Clemson, SC
Sending PM on the drlr.

Jon, I won't be able to attend the DH in a competing capacity. Redbull has invited myself and a few other guys from the newspaper to take pictures so I'll be doing that.

Right now I am shooting for a run on Thursday. Hopefully I can cobble together all the parts I need.

LR Max

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Clemson, SC
The shorter cage for the rear drlr works, but its not what I want. I can only shift between like, 3 cogs before needing to mess with the front drlr.

Mechanically it is bitchin' but just not what I want. It'll work and I'll probably run it...and try to assasinate it.

LR Max

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Clemson, SC
To be 100% honest, I wanted black. This bike is a continuation of my aggressor and so I wanted to stick to the theme.

Skerb was over here helping me put everything together. It should be fully built by sundown tomorrow. I am too tired to take pictures of it right now...so I won't. Just use your imagination to see a bike with a fork, front handle bars, cranks, and a rear drlr on it. I called it when I couldn't find a pair of pliers to cut the cable sheaths. I'll have some time tomorrow morning and I'll hit it again.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Hell yeah he is a fatty. Do you happen to have a kitty cat bike I can buy so I can start thinning out his lard ass?
I'll give you Cody's (our cat) bike, since his fat-ass doesn't ride it all. He is 15 years old, and weighs in just under 18lbs, he was up to 23lbs two years ago. The vet told us to put him on a diet.