Quantcast

Project Trail-Bike

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Starting the process of gathering parts.

I am pretty set on going full coil unless you guys talk me out of it.
I'm 6'2" @ 200 out of the shower at fighting weight.

I have nerve damage in my right hand and a TBI (broken brain) that causes a warp-speed type distortion in my peripheral vision. The more I can take out chatter and small-mid sized hits the better my perception is and therefore the speed I can ride at. With the vision issue, I have to slow down enough that I end up plowing through things instead of gaping over them. The more I can erase the chatter, the better my vision, and the faster and therefore smoother I can ride.

I currently have an IRT equipped Mattoc and CCDB-air on my current trailbike. Nice fork, but not supple enough off of the top, and not stiff enough for when things get hectic. Shock is the same, not supple enough. This was my latest attempt at air, previous two trailbikes before this were full coil and I'm thinking I want to got back.

Knolly Fugitive LT - 135mm 29er

Large Raw/Orange

Stuff I Have
Brakes - Hope Tech3 V4
Bars - 31.8 Syntace Vector Carbon 20mm
Grips – Ergon GE1 EVO

Stuff I Need.

Suspension
(Trunion 185x55 for 135mm / 185x50 for 120mm)

RS Yari w/ Coil conversion and Avalanche cartridge.
RS SuperDeluxe RCT Coil w/ Avalanche tuning.

CC Helm Coil.
CCDB Coil w/ CS

Fox Grip2 w/ Push or Vorsprung spring kit.
Fox DHX2

Cranks – 175mm
RF Next R
RF Six C
X01 Eagle
??

Pedals – 1Up / Spank OozyTrail / ??

Drivetrain - Shimano 11 or SRAM 12
Shifter – Eagle GX or XTR
Derailleur – Eagle GX or XT/XTR
Cassette – Eagle GX / E13 9-46
Chain – Eagle X01 or XTR or KMC
( I have been using KMC X SL Ti for years so ???)

Stem - 31.8

Length ?? 35-50mm
I9 when released in 31.8
Renthal Duo or Apex
??

Headset – CaneCreek 40

Wheels

Hubs – I would like high engagement and not too loud.
Onyx
Project 321 – quiet pawls
I9
???

Rims
RF ARC 30
Vibrocore 350
DT xm 481
??

Spokes / Nipples
DT Comp / Black brass
??

Tires
F - DHF / DHR2
R - Aggressor / DHR2
??

Seatpost and Saddle
1UP 170mm w/ wolftooth remote
SQ Labs 611 Ergowave or 60X
??

Bash & TopChain
MRP or 1Up.

First crack at proposed build.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why no MRP Ribbon coil? :confused:
Ribbon and Hazzard are not totally out of contention.

<Edit> - Hazzard is out, not available in the size required.

I would really prefer a HS comp adjustment, as in the past I have found it beneficial, especially as a Clydesdale.
As well the slot-port damper they use in the fork, I just don't know anything about it and not too sure if I could do anything with it on the bench. Quite a few of my past forks have had custom shimstacks, especially if no hs available.
I know that Avy is LS only, but again with a custom tuned shimstack I'm not too worried.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ribbon and Hazzard are not totally out of contention.

I would really prefer a HS comp adjustment, as in the past I have found it beneficial, especially as a Clydesdale.
As well the slot-port damper they use in the fork, I just don't know anything about it and not too sure if I could do anything with it on the bench. Quite a few of my past forks have had custom shimstacks, especially if no hs available.
I know that Avy is LS only, but again with a custom tuned shimstack I'm not too worried.
Yeah - if you want a bunch of adjustment, the Ribbon may not be the fork for you. I like the fact that I don't have to fuck with ANYTHING.

I also think my standards may be REALLY low, coming off a Fox 34. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
fork: I use a Pike wtih the PUSH ACS kit. Love it.

pedals: OneUp pedals have been really good. Thin and strong (so far, to date, YMMV, etc)

wheels: I assume your rims choices are to help with 'chatter' but if you consider crabon, LB-USA has a sale going on wheels, so good endurobro rims + Onyx are about > $1200

tires: DHF front Aggressor rear has been a great combo for out here

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
RF carbon cranks? Don't bother, they don't know how to make them. SRAM carbs cranks have a metal skeleton at the pedal screws into. They are solid.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Pretty much decided on the RS suspension.

Avy damper for a Yari up front.

In back - RS SuperDeluxe RCT Coil.
I was going to go Avy for the rear as well, however while looking for info on the Smashpot coil, I came across Steve's Tractive tuning for the shock in discussion.

Now the question, Avalanche or Vorsprung Tractive?

Anybody have any experience with either?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I was going to go Avy for the rear as well, however while looking for info on the Smashpot coil, I came across Steve's Tractive tuning for the shock in discussion.

I'm really tempted to try the tractive on my monarch+, just to see what the difference is. The price seemed steep, but I didn't realize it was in canadian monopoly-money, which I realized after I ordered the fractive piston upgrade for my 34. I'm going to try that one out, maybe do the tractive on the monarch+.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

Im on an Avy Yari. The Avy has the HSB set to medium. When it was air it was good but i needed to service it constantly to keep stiction of the air spring down. I added the Push coil now its the best fork single crown I have ridden. Since the coil has much better mid stroke on its own I run 2 clicks less compression.

If you can order the frame without the shock the Avy shock is outstanding.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Im on an Avy Yari. The Avy has the HSB set to medium. When it was air it was good but i needed to service it constantly to keep stiction of the air spring down. I added the Push coil now its the best fork single crown I have ridden. Since the coil has much better mid stroke on its own I run 2 clicks less compression.

If you can order the frame without the shock the Avy shock is outstanding.
Cheers!

Have pretty much decided to do the Avy Yari. Just not too sure on spring kit, Push or Vorsprung.

Avy shock is not an option - Craig does not and at the moment is not going to do a 185 x 55 Trunion.
Apparently my best choice for a base shock to mod is the RS SuperDeluxe RCT Coil.

And again, for tuning, looks like it is between Avy and Vorsprung as they both do mods for the SD coil.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Cheers!

Have pretty much decided to do the Avy Yari. Just not too sure on spring kit, Push or Vorsprung.

Avy shock is not an option - Craig does not and at the moment is not going to do a 185 x 55 Trunion.
Apparently my best choice for a base shock to mod is the RS SuperDeluxe RCT Coil.

And again, for tuning, looks like it is between Avy and Vorsprung as they both do mods for the SD coil.
I dont put air in my Push kit so I would go for the Smashpot today personally. If you want a coil but ramp up the Push is ideal.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I dont put air in my Push kit so I would go for the Smashpot today personally. If you want a coil but ramp up the Push is ideal.
Ya, that is the issue.

Push is air.
Avy is oil
Vorsprung sounds like it will be oil.

Being either of the coil kits come with bottom out systems, there is no sense in paying the extra and getting the Avy one.
I'm apt to use the Vorsprung one if oil, rather than deal with air seals.

Will have to wait until Steve gets his kits out to see all the details.

Part of me wants to go Vorsprung for both the coil conversion and the rear shock tune. No borders to deal with, just order the fork cartridge from teh US. However with regard to the rear shock tuning I know nothing of which approach is better - or if it is just a difference in flavour, then which flavour would I prefer?

Having said that, the other part of me says full Avy as that way Craig does both ends and they should balance/complement each other a bit better than two disparate tuners.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ya, that is the issue.

Push is air.
Avy is oil
Vorsprung sounds like it will be oil.

Being either of the coil kits come with bottom out systems, there is no sense in paying the extra and getting the Avy one.
I'm apt to use the Vorsprung one if oil, rather than deal with air seals.

Will have to wait until Steve gets his kits out to see all the details.

Part of me wants to go Vorsprung for both the coil conversion and the rear shock tune. No borders to deal with, just order the fork cartridge from teh US. However with regard to the rear shock tuning I know nothing of which approach is better - or if it is just a difference in flavour, then which flavour would I prefer?

Having said that, the other part of me says full Avy as that way Craig does both ends and they should balance/complement each other a bit better than two disparate tuners.
I'm getting my 34 Pushed and I'm sending the float DPS off to Avy, asking for the same thing on both, so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Frame is ordered.
BlackCherry Knolly Fugitive LT
Rock Shox SuperDeluxe RCT coil - going to Craig at Avy,
Onyx hubs - BrassyGold, Vibrocore rims, DT comp spokes, brass nips.

Need to find a cheap 150mm Yari. Craig is doing a cartridge.
Going to try the debonair air spring first, Craig seems to think I may get on with it, but I'm still budgeting for a Smashpot later.

I have a Syntace Vector 20 crabon bar for it.

I need a stem.

50mm - a bit or rise is OK.
7075 preferred.
Not a boat anchor.

Most stems seem to be made out of Death Metal, mostly machined, but there is the odd forged 6061 but still....

Syntace MF2 is 7075 and is in the lead.
Renthal Apex is 2014 with 7075 clamps and is in second.

Anything else?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I was going to suggest maybe Chromag, but they list the material as "premium alloy". Premium tinfoil? Whats the deal with that.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Nukeproof Horizon is DeathMetal so it is out.

Found a 50mm Syntace MF2 for 80 bucks US. It will match up to the Syntace crabon bar, so done.
7075 with Ti bolts (and a 10 year warranty for what its worth)

Also got a 2019 Yari PinkBike special, so moving right along.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Ritchey stem is money.
I've said it before, it's quite nice, beefy, etc. I have no issues with it, but I bought their weight weenie stem for my XC race bike based on this one and I don't like the weight weenie one, it wraps like 260 degrees and it's damn near impossible to get your bars off for transport, plus it uses an odd size torx, T20. The WCS Trail has none of that ridiculousness though. It's the size you'd expect for good trail/AM/enduro stuff.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Nukeproof Horizon is DeathMetal so it is out.

Found a 50mm Syntace MF2 for 80 bucks US. It will match up to the Syntace crabon bar, so done.
7075 with Ti bolts (and a 10 year warranty for what its worth)

Also got a 2019 Yari PinkBike special, so moving right along.
Good choice on the stem and bars, I use the same on my trail bike.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I caved. Full X01 drivetrain.

Without knowing when there will be a microspline driver available from Onyx...
...I would have to hack a drivetrain with a 9-46 E13 cassette as I wanted the short-cage / 10-45 cassette setup.
Was not wanting to use 3 mfg's and the E13 is known to creak and requires a chain-whip factory for service.

Also chose a BikeYoke Revive 185 post.

Still need to figure out Brakes and Tires.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Get the syntace stem....

Why not find an older coil 36 and order 27.5 lowers for them? Im doing just that for some 40s right now.
Also the grip 2 isnt really better than an rc2, I have both.

Avoid the x2 shocks, no real low/mid speed without making them harsh, they arent what they say they are, they are a design that can "work" with a huge range of riders and frames, but they are quite compromised in doing so.

For my money, avy woodie (I just bought one for my dh) or ext storia lok, or fast holy grail, or perhaps a push 11-6 which is really really similar to a fox RC4. Or take craigs suggestion which is always a 100$ van rc valved for you.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Get the syntace stem....

Why not find an older coil 36 and order 27.5 lowers for them? Im doing just that for some 40s right now.
Also the grip 2 isnt really better than an rc2, I have both.

Avoid the x2 shocks, no real low/mid speed without making them harsh, they arent what they say they are, they are a design that can "work" with a huge range of riders and frames, but they are quite compromised in doing so.

For my money, avy woodie (I just bought one for my dh) or ext storia lok, or fast holy grail, or perhaps a push 11-6 which is really really similar to a fox RC4. Or take craigs suggestion which is always a 100$ van rc valved for you.

The Syntace MF2 stem has been ordered.

Fork - Found a new unused 2019 PB Yari for a stupidly good price - Avalanche cartridge being build as we speak. Smashpot coil conversion is planned if I don't get along with the air spring, which I'm not expecting to, but I will give it a serious try before dropping the coin and weight on the coil.
Shock - Demo RS SuperDeluxe RCT Coil - also at Avalanche being rebuilt / tuned.

Would have gone Woodie/Chubie but Craig does not do a trunion shock - he recommended the RS Coil or the new Zoke as the best base to start from. I could get the RS with the frame, and they had a demo they let me have for a seriously good price, the Zoke was not available so not an easy option.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody know if there is somebody who would do me a set of decals for the fork?
I know you can get aftermarket replacements in various colours etc but what about custom lettering?
RockShox like normal, but also instead of Lyrik or Yari how about "Yarilanche" :rolleyes::disgust1::busted:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well finally decided on brakes and pulled the trigger.

Contenders were:
4. Magura - MT7 - Fragile - too many reports of broken bits.
3. Formula Cura 4 - lever shape does not allow very close to bar setup
2. Hope T3V4 - Have on a 26" and like a lot. But on a will be at limits of power on a 29r

So...
1. Hayes Dominion
Not keen on the res below the MC as noted by Udi, but we will see. Everything else seems dialed. Wish they spent some money on finish design as opposed to the prototype look they sport, but hey I'll take function over pretty.
Running with 203/180 D7 rotors, +20mm PM-PM mount and PM-PM +23mm mount.

Next up is rubber.

I have always run trail versions of DH tires, but some of the new trail tires look interesting ie Bony SE4.

There is also the WTB Trailboss and the Maxxis Rekon, but the WTB looks a bit toothy, and the Rekon a bit toothless with the SE4 a happy medium. Suggestions?

Anybody want to comment on the 2.6 size?
Are they a bouncy mess like the 3.0 stuff as I suspect; or are they actually a good balance of grip speed and comfort for a trail tire as the chatter indicates. Remember 215 lb DH hack, although the trails are not overly fast or technical so ultimate precision is not needed.

Worth investigating a 2.6/2.4 combo, or stay full 2.4?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
From closest (45min) to farthest (1.5hr) from me...

The Pines
TurkeyPoint
HydroCut
TwinPonds (Cambridge)
Kelso
Yikes! Yeah get some fast rolling tires....

Twin ponds is Puslinch? I hate that place. :busted:

Should migrate up to Barrie area for some real trails. :D

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I don’t think you will be disappointed with the hayes brakes. Bleeding them is different but not hard if you have proficiency in bleeding different systems you will get it in a try or two. Everytime I ride my bike I’m surprised by how much I like them. Also magura MT trails are the ones to have from magura. The more expensive ones are more finicky.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It is actually starting to happen... :banana:

Wheels are built. Not yet in my possession but progress is being made.
Onyx 157 / 110 hubs in BrassyGold and Clear.
DT Brass Nipples and Comp Spokes
Spank Vibrocore Rims (29")

Large BlackCherry Knolly Fugitive LT (135mm)
- RockShox SuperDeluxe RCT Coil is at Avalanche having Craig work his magic.

No idea on the weight of the wheels, but I'm guessing Yamato class cause they ain't gonna be light. Should get Chad to weight them up for me. I need a good cry :cray:

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It is actually starting to happen... :banana:

Wheels are built. Not yet in my possession but progress is being made.
Onyx 157 / 110 hubs in BrassyGold and Clear.
DT Brass Nipples and Comp Spokes
Spank Vibrocore Rims (29")

Large BlackCherry Knolly Fugitive LT (135mm)
- RockShox SuperDeluxe RCT Coil is at Avalanche having Craig work his magic.

No idea on the weight of the wheels, but I'm guessing Yamato class cause they ain't gonna be light. Should get Chad to weight them up for me. I need a good cry :cray:

Looking good. Don't worry, you won't notice the weight when testing it out in Copeland Forest or rolling down Shitz n Giggles. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/shits--giggles/

:cheers:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
A little late to the party but nice work going with Avalanche.

I was going to mention that Craig now has a hybrid coil/air system so you only use one coil and minimal air pressure, but it's only for the Fox 36.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, it is built.
Only a quick shakedown run round the neighborhood to setup brakes, gears and to make sure nothing fell off.

Final build list:

Frame: Large Knolly Fugitive LT in Blackcherry. (135mm)
Shock: Avalanche RS Superdeluxe RCT Coil
Fork: Avalanche RS Yari 150mm w PUSH seals.
Headset: CC 40
Stem: Syntace MF2 - 40mm
Bars: Syntace Vector 20 Carbon 780mm
Grips: Ergon GE1 Evo
Drivetrain: X01
Brakes: Hayes Dominion A4
Rotors: Hayes D series 203/180
Pedals: One-up alloy / 9120 XTR Trail
Saddle: SQlabs 611 Ergowave active
Hubs: Onyx - BrassyGold
Spokes: DTSwiss Comp
Rims: Spank Vibrocore 350
F.Tire: 120tpi Exo+ 3C 2.4 DHR2
R.Tire: 60tpi Exo 2C 2.4 Rekon

It's a tank coming in at 34.1 lbs

The only thing that may change is addition of a Vorsprung Smashpot depending upon how I get along with the Avy modded 2019 air spring.

Shitty cell-phone pic - will get some proper shots and post up a couple that actually make this thing look as good in pics as in person.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, it is built.
Only a quick shakedown run round the neighborhood to setup brakes, gears and to make sure nothing fell off.

Final build list:

Frame: Large Knolly Fugitive LT in Blackcherry. (135mm)
Shock: Avalanche RS Superdeluxe RCT Coil
Fork: Avalanche RS Yari 150mm w PUSH seals.
Headset: CC 40
Stem: Syntace MF2 - 40mm
Bars: Syntace Vector 20 Carbon 780mm
Grips: Ergon GE1 Evo
Drivetrain: X01
Brakes: Hayes Dominion A4
Rotors: Hayes D series 203/180
Pedals: One-up alloy / 9120 XTR Trail
Saddle: SQlabs 611 Ergowave active
Hubs: Onyx - BrassyGold
Spokes: DTSwiss Comp
Rims: Spank Vibrocore 350
F.Tire: 120tpi Exo+ 3C 2.4 DHR2
R.Tire: 60tpi Exo 2C 2.4 Rekon

It's a tank coming in at 34.1 lbs

The only thing that may change is addition of a Vorsprung Smashpot depending upon how I get along with the Avy modded 2019 air spring.

Shitty cell-phone pic - will get some proper shots and post up a couple that actually make this thing look as good in pics as in person.

Will be the bomb with that suspension, punching way above it's class!