Quantcast

Project: WIM Update

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Mt Hood Ski Bowl has been running bikes on chairs for years. Anyone here ever go? They dont have a ton of trails, but its a place with some potential. We just raced there yesterday and it was a blast! Terrain was very challenging. They have big plans for that series too next season.

I for one will be attending more of those races next season........

also,
the letter to wim looks good. Most the points i agree with. I dont think though i'd pay 10-15 bucks more unless the races were held at a ski resort.... they can afford another truck with the current load of $$ they take in.... but i'd be willing to spend some more to help them cover insurance and stuff for running chairs.... maybe at the summit???

thanks,
damon
Hey D! How'd you and the rest of the PNW crew do down there this weekend?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bibs said:
wrong thread young lady!!! damn you Hijackers!!!! but did I mention the shore was good and free?...just checking LOL
I know :blah: Anything to get Nate's panties in a bunch :nuts:

Glad you guys had a good time at the shore. Any video comin?

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Hey its just cause they're part of my dinese suit, and i prefer to call them speed underwear

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
well they are pretty comfortable...but for some reason you guys seem to know more about them than I do ;) :thumb:

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Damn the racers and I are alone again. If only we could become "free" riders.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Alright so heres the deal. I heard from Erik at Rn'R today. He was the offical medic, now he's in charge of our WIM series. He and Mike are going to be making a trip over to the west side of the state on October 4th thru the 8th and they are interested in having a meeting with the riders. They asked for a group of 10-15 riders of all ages and abilities and even some non-racers. So I have the meeting place decided and I have some of the spots filled but if some of you guys would like to come and say your 2 cents I would love to have it. Please send me a PM with you Name, age, race class (if you race) and phone number if you are interested in attending. The meeting will be in North Bend. If I don't give you a call it's not cause I don't like you it is because I expect an excess of certain demographics and we can only have so many experts, semi-pros, begginers, etc... Also Erik told me about one of their for sure venues for 2005 and I will tell you that it is looking like its going to be a sweet season!!!

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
Did things ever get figured out for the WIM. I raced a few last year and would like to race the whole season next year. I'm also interested in helping in any way I can.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Things did get figured out and next season is looking good. If you are interested in coming to help on some work party's P.M. me and we'll figure something out. Erik from round and round should be making an official announcment soon so i'll let him pass on the offical news.

Apr 14, 2003
Karmageddon
You know i was reading what bibs was saying about if people talked to wendy about what they wanted that they would simple stop putting on races, That is so messed up, WIM should realize that they put the races on for us, the riders, not for WIM exposure. With anything things need to evolve or they will die, They need to recognize that fact. If WIM is so worried about their profits, they should start listening to the riders, because without us where will there profits come from. I have never like the way WIM does business. It sucks to say but maybe if people did stop going to their races maybe, just maybe, it would open their eyes to the fact that they are not infallible. I honestly think they, both Wendy and Gino, need to go back to school and learn how to treat their customers and give them what they want. Instead of taking the attitude that you will like what we give you, now whut up and sit down. As far as the courses go; with an organization like WIM who has been around for a while, im sure they have made contacts with the right people to help get new and/or better places to race. More than likely its just laziness on WIMs part. Why should they change if people are still going and they are still making money?

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
BigEvilBadBoy said:
You know i was reading what bibs was saying about if people talked to wendy about what they wanted that they would simple stop putting on races, That is so messed up, WIM should realize that they put the races on for us, the riders, not for WIM exposure. With anything things need to evolve or they will die, They need to recognize that fact. If WIM is so worried about their profits, they should start listening to the riders, because without us where will there profits come from. I have never like the way WIM does business. It sucks to say but maybe if people did stop going to their races maybe, just maybe, it would open their eyes to the fact that they are not infallible. I honestly think they, both Wendy and Gino, need to go back to school and learn how to treat their customers and give them what they want. Instead of taking the attitude that you will like what we give you, now whut up and sit down. As far as the courses go; with an organization like WIM who has been around for a while, im sure they have made contacts with the right people to help get new and/or better places to race. More than likely its just laziness on WIMs part. Why should they change if people are still going and they are still making money?
As it turns out what Bibs said about Wendy and Gino was not correct. We have been talking with Erik from round and round who is now in charge of the WIM series and not only have we not gotten the WIM series shut down we have some very good changes set in stone for next year. I think the real problem with the NW race scene was that no one ever approached Rn'R with not only complaints but with thing they can actually do to fix them. In our meeting with R'NR we talked about a lot of things including ways to boost profits for them while adding funds for us to use on course work and still lower or keep our race fees the same. In the end they were super supportive and not at all negative. Thanks again to all of you who helped us with round and round you know who you are.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I think part of the problem is some of the WIM officials depend on it as their livelihood. This is what makes it a promoters event instead of a riders event. In their defense, I'm sure it would be tough to hold down a 9-5 and run the races.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
ioscope said:
I am simple minded and disinterested in wishy washy idiotocracy.

What do I do to get in DH and xc races over here?
Does anybody have an answer for ioscope? I'd like to know how to get involved in the WIM DH race scene as well.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Races start in March. you can get lots of info at www.roundandround.com. They are the promoters. If you want to meet some of the people involved and do some work, this coming weekend we are doing work on the DH course in Chelan. That is a good step for the fall. On that note, i probably have open seats for the way there. I will be splitting saturday night and won't be able to drive anyone back.

NateH said:
Things did get figured out and next season is looking good. If you are interested in coming to help on some work party's P.M. me and we'll figure something out. Erik from round and round should be making an official announcment soon so i'll let him pass on the offical news.
The 2005 schedule came out......What happened???

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
I have got to give the guys an A for effort in trying to get WIM to rethink the way they run their DH races. But as I have seen over the several years I have been racing, it is not ask and you will receive. It is more like ask and we will tell you want you want to hear, or ask and we will move all the races farther east and only do a couple. After seeing the 05' schedule, I am so dissapointed! I hope this is an eye opener to all of you who got involved with WIM and tried to change the way your races are run. This has been going on for years! The only way to change it is to NOT ATTEND THEIR RACES! There are other options out there!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
um, 3?

66 said:
Round & Round Productions
2005 Season Schedule as of 01/01/05
(Schedule Subject to Change at Promoter’s Discretion)
WIM SERIES
Mc Mud Fest 03/19/05

Spokane WA
XC
Riverside Ruckus 04/02/05 Spokane WA XC
Beacon Blastoff 04/24/05 Spokane WA DH
Beacon Bomber 06/11/05 Spokane WA XC
Beacon Bomber 06/12/05 Spokane, WA DH
Silver Mountain WIM FINALS 06/25/05 Kellogg ID XC
Silver Mountain WIM FINALS 06/26/05 Kellogg ID DH

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Well...

I have to say that I can simpathize with some of the problems that they are having but in the end I am highly disapointed with the way this whole thing went. To all of you race fans I have to recomend what I consider the best race series around even if WIM had changed their tune. The B.C Cup series. We did several of them this year and they were amazing, friendly people, awesome courses and nationals level organization. I just fired off an email to their director requesting both a schedule and some information on how us yanks can get our licenses in our respective catagorys instead of starting over again in beginner as is there system (no sandbaggers and no one in classes they don't beling in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Anyway for those of you look for races for next year this is the thing, WIM apparently isn't going to come around so I'm not gonna come around, I'll be at which ever WIMs I can make but any conflicts and I'm going to Canada.

Thanks all of you who tried to help us, some thing just aren't ment to be and apparently a cool race series in Washington is one of them.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
My biggest problem with the new WIM schedule is race#1 conflicts with hood, and #2 and #3 are separated by only 1 weekend. For myself and maybe others it will be impossible for 2 races so close in time that far away. Gas will be sky high next summer, you have hotels, food, race fees, ect..... I cannot afford this monitarly, and with family time. Its just a bad idea to do this back to back like that. Im going to e-mail eric and let him know this, and i encourage anyone else who has problems with this schedule to do the same. I doubt it will change anything, but who knows....

I might make spokane #2, but if i dont hope to see all my racing friends at Hood, Whistler,the BC races? (ill probably only do the BC race at Mt Washington....), and maybe the Idaho National this year....

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
You know a reentry into motorcycle racing and recreation is getting better looking all the time.....:(

There are 2-4 races a month for like 10 of the 12 months if you want to race. :angry:

3 races......2 Spokane and then Idaho. (Serious self pitty moment)

Hmmmm a new DH bike or a new motorcycle........:think:

I could keep what I have and recreate when I am in the mood and then just get a motorcycle and get back into what I grew up doing. Riding and racing dirt bikes......in 1.5-3hr races.....like extended DH runs.

:( I was hoping that was jsut confirmed locations and dates and more were to come.....

Hey if that is what they feal is best for them I can't hold it against them......I can however find a new hobbie to pour (or poor depending on your point of view :) ) my less than abundent money at.

Kevin :(
4+ yo DH bike
Slightly used Spec HT

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Wow, there went all my hopes of ever racing DH. I guess I'll just continue to ride lift-serviced hills in Canada. Even Whistler is a shorter drive for me than to any of those venues in EaWA. Someone ought to point out to Erik at RnR that it's not good business to locate yourself further away from your customers (unless what you're selling is sellable remotely and shippable via FedEx). It's just bad business. And know it may be difficult to get DH racing in WeWA, but there is lots of land, and lots more people to contribute if racing DH here was as accessible as most of the trails. The majority of people just won't drive across the mountains for a mediocre race with poor uphill transportation and sub-par courses. My prediction: Bye Bye WIM. WeWA will become a playground for freeriders, not for DH racers (that's an overarching generalization, but considering the situation, I think it may be quite near the truth).

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
I'm curious as to how they get away with calling that the WIM series. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't WIM stand for Washington, Idaho and Montana? Looks more like the Spokane mountain bike series to me.

I was contemplating a move back onto the dirt after many year hiatus on the road, but it's hard to beat the 4 races a week I can do on the road within 2 hours of Seattle. I know, not quite the same racing experience.

Is there a schedule of other Western Wash. XC races out yet?

Thanks,
-Ian

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
WIM was changed a few years back from Washington Idaho Montana to Wheels in Motion.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
RhinofromWA said:
You know a reentry into motorcycle racing and recreation is getting better looking all the time.....:(
You can go to Monroe's MX track (brain fart on name) and practice for $40 all day long. Isnt that about the same as entering in a WIM race. Also Pacific Raceways has practice every wed in the summer and alternating sun in winter for $25 (not 100% sure on that but info is close). All this on the west side of the mountains.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Langer said:
You can go to Monroe's MX track (brain fart on name) and practice for $40 all day long. Isnt that about the same as entering in a WIM race. Also Pacific Raceways has practice every wed in the summer and alternating sun in winter for $25 (not 100% sure on that but info is close). All this on the west side of the mountains.
or you can go ride an entire orv park w/ a motocross track for free (Horn Rapids in Tri-Cities)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Langer said:
Thanks Langer,

I am more of a woods/Desert racer and for teh most part that is free. I have dabbled in the MX stuff...but I suck :D so I stay away from that it is safer that way.

THere are about a half dozen MX tracks aroud the Monroe area....Private or open or club run it is a good place to go if you like outside MX