Quantcast

proof Banksy is a crap artist

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You know good and well that is it was advertised as a Banksy sale every hipster in the area would have been there and it would have sold out in 10 minutes...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You know good and well that is it was advertised as a Banksy sale every hipster in the area would have been there and it would have sold out in 10 minutes...
I don't pretend to understand "art", but I kind of understood this to be the point.

Not to mention what your return might be on a $30 dollar Banksy.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Don't really understand why anyone would pay $30 for one of those. Only way I'd buy one for that amount would be if I positively knew I could make money reselling it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's more of a commentary than anything on the notion that only high art on display in museums, galleries et al is viewed as "valuable" by the public, versus how people perceive art being sold in a street booth by an old man.

this immediately reminded me of the time Joshua Bell played a number of classical violin pieces during rush hour in a subway. on a stradivarius.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Why is MD jealous of some british artist? This reminds me of high school girls talking sh1t about each other. Maybe we can gin up a reason to call him a slut.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think Banksy just 'gets' the joke and uses it to his advantage. Can't blame him for that. Anyone here would do the same thing.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think Banksy just 'gets' the joke and uses it to his advantage. Can't blame him for that. Anyone here would do the same thing.
I agree, and with anyone here, the depravity would be ratcheted up a few notches :rofl:

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
he's just jealous that banksy is laughing (and walking) all the way to the bank
All the way to the BANKsy - its even in his name.

60 was actually not bad even if was just a copy if you factor in the price of canvas, material etc. I would have bought some if I had seen that on the street especially knowing he is in the city at the moment. I think his NYC tour is brilliant.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So you're saying folks who buy art for less than a $100 in a public park have the last word on what is good?

How far away was the guy selling black velvet Elvis?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So you're saying folks who buy art for less than a $100 in a public park have the last word on what is good?
no. it's just poking fun at how subjective the whole system is, and how the environment in which it's presented changes people's perceptions. again, refer to the joshua bell "experiment".

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Pretty sure the same would go for wine snobs. Put some box wine in a $500 bottle and watch them cream their pants about how fantastic it is.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We live in a made up world anyway. If people think they can taste the difference even if it turns out its the same wine then to them its different. I highly recommend this Ted Talk by very funny and smart ad man Roy Sutherland. The talk is about how advertising adds value to a product by changing our perception, rather than the product itself:

http://www.ted.com/talks/rory_sutherland_life_lessons_from_an_ad_man.html

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We live in a made up world anyway. If people think they can taste the difference even if it turns out its the same wine then to them its different.
I think the technical term is 'being a douche'.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am not we as bike riders are much better when it comes to buying into perceived value. We are maybe just less douchy.

As George Carlin says: It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
And how that proves he's a crap artist? You think any other artist would have gone for more? He made a very good point. He is also great at social commentary. If I was to spend a ton on some piece of art I'd rather go for him than some nonsense BS like Rothko.
yeah. just trolling. other side of the coin is that the average man on the street knows boo about art (or just doesn't "value" it). kinda the route jK took with his link to the fiddle player.