Quantcast

Proof read?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
1) put in your full name
2) put "Projected graduation in 2006" or the like instead of the confusing 2002-2006 / Class of 2006 - Junior bit
3) omit "on last report card" and put in cumulative gpa
4) put interests etc. at end and don't use a semicolon. find a way to rephrase it or simply use two sentences.
5) change References to be References / Available upon request
6) capitalize product names: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel etc. omit bit about explorer/internet explorer. "hardworking" should be "hard working"

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Toshi said:
1) put in your full name
2) put "Projected graduation in 2006" or the like instead of the confusing 2002-2006 / Class of 2006 - Junior bit
3) omit "on last report card" and put in cumulative gpa
4) put interests etc. at end and don't use a semicolon. find a way to rephrase it or simply use two sentences.
5) change References to be References / Available upon request
6) capitalize product names: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel etc. omit bit about explorer/internet explorer. "hardworking" should be "hard working"

YEa, My full name and contact info will be on the Final version, This is just a rough draft for teh net.........And thanks :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
References shouldn't be in the body of your resume typically.

Expand on your education - that's all you've got to sell yourself besides your skills/qualifications. If possible, of course, if you're not taking any courses of interest (that is, say, Honors courses, A.P. courses, etc) then you're not taking 'em. Find out if you're inadvertantly enrolled in any school "programs" - for instance, I found out my Senior year that I had accidentally qualified for a "Technology Institute" certificate because I had taken X number of tech. courses. No idea it existed.

Bullet your skills/qualifications. Nobody likes a big paragraph.

If by "Microsoft Explorer" you mean the internet, leave that out. If you are proficient with research on the internet, that may be something to add (the research part). If by "Microsoft Explorer" you mean Windows Explorer, and you were trying to demonstrate a familliarity with the Windows operating system, say that.

Turn ON your paragraph markers (the backwards "P"), and figure out how to use tabs instead of spaces. Spaces look AWFUL in the printed version, as none of the stuff will line up. Look up "tab stops" in the Microsoft Word help file. This is more important than you think it is - it will make your resume look a LOT more slick and professional.

edit: incidentally, I don't like the way shaded table cells look when printed. Strictly personal taste, but I know my boss doesn't like them either.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Toshi said:

Yea, So I turned in this resume (modified a bit) To a local business. The guy seemed impressed, but he just laughed when he read the Projected graduation in 2006 part, and said" That's always a good idea."

I think I'm going to change that part

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Tailor you resume for the particular job. I know it's hard to do when you are applying for lots of totally different jobs, but it's worth it. If you can outline a few skills that are specific to the job, the employer will take notice.

I have 3 different resumes on file depending on what kind of job I'm applying for. I get bored easily and seem to job hop a lot lately.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Chris, check your PM. I've sent you a current and old resume, a cover letter and a reference list. In your case, you'll pad the education part as your experience part will be minimal if any. Some of the things below have been said already....
1. The references in your resume needs to be on another sheet. That's the most glaring mistake.
2. Taylor your Objective to be as specific as you can for each job you're applying for.
3. List AP classes. Hell, list them all and trim it down to the relevant ones per the job you're applying for.
4. Skills come before Interests. If you've done much traveling, list that in interests, especially international travel.
5. Edit the interests to be more job specific, just like the education part and the classes you'd list.
6. Create a header w/ your full name and contact info:
First, last name (left justified and BIG)
street
city, state, zip
home phone
cell phone
e-mail address
Make everything else besides your name right justified, opposite to your name. I like using cells so you can control exactly how things are cut up and proportioned on the page. You typically won't use footers. However you can for "References available upon request" if your resume is long enough to come that low and you want to keep everything on one page.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Pau11y said:
1. The references in your resume needs to be on another sheet. That's the most glaring mistake.

3. List AP classes. Hell, list them all and trim it down to the relevant ones per the job you're applying for.

6. Create a header w/ your full name and contact info:

1. Wait, Weren't you the one that told me all of my stuff needs to fit on one page?

3. No AP or honors classes this year.

6. Did it.