Quantcast

Proof there is karma.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I live near Woodstock and I always see the bumper stickers that say, "My karma ran over my dogma," or something like that.

I know, I know....I'll take the liberty of throwing out the H-bomb first....

Hippies!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
SkaredShtles said:
That's bull$hit. Ted Bundy killed women because he liked to kill them. He needed a good ol' Death Cocktail.

Pedophiles? Maybe prison with a "Pedophile" tatoo on their forehead would be more appropriate. :mad: Same end result.
And you can almost always point to something in these people's pasts that triggored their actions. I'm not saying this is excusable by any means. I just believe that the power of guilt and having to live with yourself until you die (and it's been show that, regardless of the crime, the majority of prisoners feel this guilt, even if it's at a very deep level) is more painful to endure than death. Death is an easy way out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bluebug32 said:
<snip> Death is an easy way out.
You're right. But knocking them off makes the victims and the victims' families often times feel better. And once they've done something heinous like that I figure you might as well give the victims a little revenge.

Because despite our "civilized" veneer, revenge is an incredibly strong motivator/emotion in humans.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
SkaredShtles said:
You're right. But knocking them off makes the victims and the victims' families often times feel better. And once they've done something heinous like that I figure you might as well give the victims a little revenge.

Because despite our "civilized" veneer, revenge is an incredibly strong motivator/emotion in humans.
I definitely understand what you're saying and know that the families can feel better at times when the death penalty is used. Revenge is so engrained in our culture. Religion tells us it's an eye for an eye. Gandhi once said, "An eye for an eye will cause the whole world to go blind." Killing someone because they killed just perpetuates the cycle of killing. Countries without the death penalty have much lower rates of crime and homicides.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
bluebug32 said:
<snip> Countries without the death penalty have much lower rates of crime and homicides.
You're not trying to tell me that it's because they don't have the death penalty that their crime rates are lower, are you? I think you know better than that.

There are some countries that chop the hands off theives - they have really low rates of thievery. Should we start chopping off hands?

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
i honestly don't know what my opinion on the death penalty is, since nobody I've been close to has been on the killing or the dying end. However, I think our prison system should be more like prison. Some prisons put cons in better living arrangements than we have. Being in the navy I don't know how many times I've helped during a food storage load and seen stickers claiming: "rejected by the california state penitentiary." Now that is messed up

J

JRB

binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

Pretty high and mighty there, aren't you?

Situation: crazy driver cuts you off, causes you to almost get into an accident, and tears off down the highway. A couple miles along, you see the same driver pulled over by a trooper.

Do you look at them and say, "it's a darn shame that person is getting a ticket"? No, they got what was coming to them.

Lead a sh*tty life, get what you deserve. Counting on karma to repay someone when they treat you badly is silly, but it sure is nice when it happens.

I'm with you, but I don't really wish ill on people. It just seems a good way to avoid negative karmic activity.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Not sure if my ex is still alive.

Last I heard she was couch surfing after getting booted from her apt. Her car was repo'd. She was getting fat. She had a terrible boob job. Working at a massage parlor. Smoking speed. Who knows what else.

I have full custody of our child though, which is the important thing. Not sure what would have went down if my daughter was still living with that psycho. I stepped in before any tragedy occured.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Well, you and I would agree on that...... but the Supreme Court would surely whine about it being "cruel and unusual"...... ;)
Yeah...we've got a sure-fire way to prevent repeat offenses and they'd most likely be all worried about someone's "rights". Where in the Constitution does it say anything about the right to have hands? The right to bear arms...but not hands ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
Yeah...we've got a sure-fire way to prevent repeat offenses and they'd most likely be all worried about someone's "rights". Where in the Constitution does it say anything about the right to have hands? The right to bear arms...but not hands ;)
Yeah bruthah! There's no right to have hands!

I'm nominating you for the Supreme Court.............