Quantcast

proper way to measure bb height?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i just measured my trail bike and it's 12.5". That seems awfully low compared to the other specs I've seen for bikes. My guess is that I measured it wrong. I measured from the floor to the very bottom of the bb shell. Is that right?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
WV Hippy said:
Floor to center. (Silly isn't it)

Yes, floor to center of the bb axle. And I don't think it's silly, there is too much variation in shell thickness and (to a lesser extent) bb size to get a reliable measurement any other way.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
If you want a truly accurate BB height measure the height from the ground to the center of your BB spindle when you're on the bike. You will need a freind to help though.....D

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
why do you care you got a foes mother f'n fly in my opinion the best xc-downhill bike in existance it can do everything short of road. does the geometry matter?
by the way the bb height on my large '05 fly with a 888 measures out to just between the two bigg scars on my right shin, the best for free-ride where as the left shin scars are downright cross-countryish.

for a truly accurate measurment you rely need to do it without tires as there height does affect the overall height of the bike.