Quantcast

property damage

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
seeing this term used multiple times in another thread made me realize that a thread relating to this would be interesting. if you ride street you know all too much about this. a lot of fun things on your bike can turn into trouble if you aren't careful. what do you guys consider to be property damage and how do you feel about it? does it stop you from doing certain things on your bike? any experiences to share?

i don't run pegs for this very reason, there is really no way to grind without causing damage to some degree. i ran them for a short while and just couldn't keep them on for mostly this reason. yet, many people still run them and tear anything and everything up willingly without considering the big picture of what they are doing.

i can say that i love to wallride..although i don't think it causes any real damage, it can leave rubber marks on certain surfaces as you probably know. i don't like leaving the marks but seeing a perfect wall is sometimes way too sweet to pass up. i don't really know what it could be considered so if anyone else knows i'd like to hear.

this thread could go really good or really bad, but i'm sure many of you can relate to what i'm saying. lets hear it

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
I wont break off or unbolt a railing or bench just to grind it. I've seen that done in person and on videos. That seems excessive. If you grind at all, whether its pegs/dropouts/pedals, your going to cause some damage.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
interesting topic...

yeah, I'm not one to go out and just hit the streets with the grand theft auto shred & destroy philosophy, especially these days.
I mostly ride solo lately, so I just cruise around, hitting a spot a couple times and moving on. Don't grind much either. Ordered some plegs a bit ago just to check'em out but was just notified there wasn't enough in their order to fill mine... oh well, no biggie.

But anyway, not that I'm anywhere near being old or anything, but even I remember the town and surrounding areas I grew up in, I'd sit around at spots all day with friends waxing ledges and stuff, and the workers would be coming and going, waving and smiling at us kids riding bikes.... and now you attempt to do that and it's like you're instigating a riot and attempting to burn the building down! They'll call you out like a rapist.
keep in mind there were no parks at that time, and now there is one tiny catalog ordered skateboard only park in that surrounding area, and last I knew the local kids tried to light it on fire with gas... just throwin' that hoodlum name out there on bikers/skaters once again.

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
i dont know how to pedal grind so that doesnt effect me to much but i do try to sprocket stall stuff. i think that if there is an artistic skill or point to what im riden i try to hurt it. but if its just an average bench and it gets used for everyday stuff i think skuffing it up a little isnt the end of the world. but i try to keep damage to the low side

Jul 4, 2007
bay, killafornia
I DESTROY EVERYTHING I LAY MY EYES ON!!!!

but on the real, me and ebfree ride together everyday, so i see what hes saying my outlook is that of imaddicted's, if its a plain bench, ledge or wall then i dont really think twice. but if it is sumthing that took sometime to put together like a mural then i think about karma and how id feel is some one fvcked my painting, but if its already been ridden on its a whole diff story, it just depends on how good something is.. hope that mad sense

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
We don't do much property damage in the sense that you're talking... but, we definitely do some unauthorized excavation. :poster_oops:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i was actually thinking about this same thing. my bmx has been a pain since i got it just because of this horrible creaking, so i haven't been riding it much until i can get a new headset. i was thinking of putting pegs on the other night, but i decided against it because of the damage thing. i really like wallrides too, at this point i'm just learning really. i don't see much of a problem with them because although they leave the rubber marks, it can be washed off in a lot of cases, a power washer will do the job if scrubbing won't. if they're really bad then a coat of paint will cover it up, but with grinding, the surface is actually being destroyed. i agree with the other guys that riding something that took time and creativity to make, like a sculpture, is bad, but otherwise my only hesitation is doing peg grinds. with the plastic pedals coming out, i think damages can be minimized with pedal grinds.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
A friend that rides with us has a strict "No Riding on Art!" policy. That is cool and I can respect that. Same guy had no problem leaving a big 'ol skid mark on a purty white marble ledge though. Hmmm. I found that interesting because he is an architect and one would think that an architect may look at buildings and structures as a form of art.

Willful destruction of property is not cool. Karma, baby. What goes around comes around.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah... as a note on Cru's post... I've learned that building on private land is better than building on STATE land! Let's call it my "Get outta jail free card" for 07, but some of my WELL HIDDEN stuff got found on some state land. And, being the sneaky dirt ninja that I am, happened to be in a meeting concerning new(ANY?) bike trails in my area and that little area was brought up. Apparently a dead, rotting log is worth a $5000 as a "potential owl habitat" fine. And a scraggly sappling or any friggin stupid "rare species" of a ****ing weed is worth several grand in fines as well, not including erosion, unlawful construction of trails, endangerment of public(despite the fact that I think it was discoverd by a crop duster!), blah, blah, fugging blah.
If ya gotta poach, poach on private. I'd rather get shot and pay a $100 than pay the state for crap they should be providing.
Just my opinion...and I could be biased...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thrillseeka, thats some knarly stuff! We built some small trails in a fallow field a few years ago. It was tucked way back in the woods, it wasn't being used so it was the perfect set up. A year or so later we came back and the farmer was using the field again and all of our jumps were gone, but that will happen.

Its funny how open cities often are about building trails. Its a lot cheaper then building a skatepark and cities often have a lot of spare land that can't be used for anything. The city I grew up with actually gave me dirt and city workers and machinary to move the dirt around.

As for the property damage thing, I don't like to mess anything up, and definitely not art. I used to grind and sprocket things more, but now I typically just use things to manual or jump off of. Some tire marks I don't really feel bad about, and honestly I think its kinda cool to see where people have done grinds or wall rides by the marks that are left. I'm not condoning the destuction of property, it is wrong, but I stuggle with the fact that I love real street and I love what people find to do out there. I sympathize with owners of stuctures that are damaged, there is no excuse for doing it, but maybe they should think about that before they build cool stuff to ride on :-)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
In my world, ledges would have replaceable angle iron lips on everything, fastened down by flush mount bolts. All railings would be stainless so as to not rust from grinds or make burrs for peoples hands to catch on. All walls would have molded 1/4s and hipped corners. All sidewalks would be 12" off the ground with short, steep, booterific approaches.
Ahh.... oh, and the only people NOT riding or even skating in my town, are hot chics in tight clothing that don't bitch. And they bring my coffe and Redbull all day. And make bacon. And Tacos. MMMMMM...Bacon, tacos and a Redbull. Yeeeeesssss.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
In my world, ledges would have replaceable angle iron lips on everything, fastened down by flush mount bolts. All railings would be stainless so as to not rust from grinds or make burrs for peoples hands to catch on. All walls would have molded 1/4s and hipped corners. All sidewalks would be 12" off the ground with short, steep, booterific approaches.
Ahh.... oh, and the only people NOT riding or even skating in my town, are hot chics in tight clothing that don't bitch. And they bring my coffe and Redbull all day. And make bacon. And Tacos. MMMMMM...Bacon, tacos and a Redbull. Yeeeeesssss.
i think you just described Heaven

Tee Buck

Monkey
Nov 7, 2007
NorCal
Sounds alot like Barcelona!