Quantcast

Proposed trail improvement?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Open pit incinerator, sounds high tech. Although probably an improvement over the large brush piles that normally get burned in place in that corner of the world.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You mean a section of Black Mountain or something else?
yes. they redid the lower part maybe 5 years ago (making it more "flowy" and in my eyes not as fun, but also faster and more dangerous, because they piled cut things to the side so if you happened to get off course and wreck you'd impale yourself). the middle part, which i love due to its ongoing erosion, and challenge, is apparently both not favorable for either the increasing traffic in the area or the way it drains sediment into the nearby waters. thus, a reroute.

stuff like that is why i prefer riding in the grandfather district, but even that is getting more attention and unfortunately more "help."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yes. they redid the lower part maybe 5 years ago (making it more "flowy" and in my eyes not as fun, but also faster and more dangerous, because they piled cut things to the side so if you happened to get off course and wreck you'd impale yourself). the middle part, which i love due to its ongoing erosion, and challenge, is apparently both not favorable for either the increasing traffic in the area or the way it drains sediment into the nearby waters. thus, a reroute.

stuff like that is why i prefer riding in the grandfather district, but even that is getting more attention and unfortunately more "help."
I love it when a trail that has worn to a hard surface is rerouted with a fresh dirt ribbon that will erode just the same way in the name of "sustainability"

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

That'll be a sad day. Black Mountain is one of my favourite trails because of that high speed rowdyness.

The stuff above the flow section was running awesome last winter. Like riding a bucking bronco.

10/10 would bang again. Keep the gnar!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
That'll be a sad day. Black Mountain is one of my favourite trails because of that high speed rowdyness.

The stuff above the flow section was running awesome last winter. Like riding a bucking bronco.

10/10 would bang again. Keep the gnar!
that's why i prefer to ride where we went!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Hasn't this work on middle black been imminent for some time? Last time I rode it (over a year ago) I silently bid the current trail goodbye... Guess I'll have to milk in a few more runs.

Regardless agree that a lot of the remakes are a step backward (at least until they get blown out again)--I dont love what they did to lower black or Avery either. I will say that new Spencer was pretty good--different from the original but still pretty damn fun. I think a lot depends on who gets the contract to do the work.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Hasn't this work on middle black been imminent for some time? Last time I rode it (over a year ago) I silently bid the current trail goodbye... Guess I'll have to milk in a few more runs.

Regardless agree that a lot of the remakes are a step backward (at least until they get blown out again)--I dont love what they did to lower black or Avery either. I will say that new Spencer was pretty good--different from the original but still pretty damn fun. I think a lot depends on who gets the contract to do the work.
yeah, i've heard rumblings about it for a while.
shrimper's doing the work. i think in general he does a decent job within the constraints he's given. you've got until august to hit it before it "closes."

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I don’t know the details of what’s happening for you but it sounds a lot like what happpens fairly regularly on our ‘grade 3’ and sometimes ‘grade 4’ trails. I totally agree, to me it is more fun when it is tougher and harder. Flow trails absolutely have their place, and some of my favourite trails (maybe even my favourite atm) are ‘flow’ trails but, Yeah, Gnar!

So to get to the point, we have had a lot of success advocating for more grade 5 and 6s. I think people understand there is a place for these for a certain significant percentage of riders. Maybe advocate for the trails you love to be boosted to a 5 or whatever and advocate for a new 3 to built as well?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How about trails being renamed?

Below are some changes to a local forest:

The big riding area in Toronto, the Don Valley has also had a sweep of renaming lately.

Some I agree with, due to some misogynist notes, but others are just people being delicate flowers about trail names that have been around for decades.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The big riding area in Toronto, the Don Valley has also had a sweep of renaming lately.

Some I agree with, due to some misogynist notes, but others are just people being delicate flowers about trail names that have been around for decades.

No Traily McTrail Face?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The ones on the left are basically all of our winter trails.

Stranger, Rambone, First Blood (off of Rambone), Spooky Girlfriend, Southern Comfort, Tequila Twister, etc..