Quantcast

Proposed Yeti build

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok guys and girls. I need your opinions...
Here's what I've come up with for my '08 Yeti 303:

Forks & shock - Fox 40 RC2 & DHX 5.0
Wheels - DT Swiss 5.1s built on 440 hubs
Brakes - Avid Juicy Carbons w/ Goodridge hoses
Derailleur & shifter - SRAM X.0 supershort cage & trigger
Cassette - SRAM PG970 11-26
Chain - SRAM PC991
Cranks/BB - Gravity Lite MegaExo
Pedals - Easton Flatboys
Chainguide - e.thirteen LG1 w/taco
Seatpost - Easton EA70
Seat - BBB roadie-type Ti
Stem - Easton Vice
Bars - Easton EA70 lo-rise w/ ODI grips
Headset - Chris King

Fairly safe and non-exotic build really.

Whats your thinking on these choices and have I left anything out?

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
Can't go wrong with anything you have listed.

If you are at all concerned about weight you could get a Thomson post and go with a ultegra or dura ace cassette. But the weight savings would be minimal.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
or because it will likely build out to be lighter than a standard setup and by using a direct mount stem, your bars will be lower than if you had a standard stem setup.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
How much do you weight? I would never do any kind of serious DHing on DT 5.1s, I've seen too many people destroy DT rims.
seconded. I have demolished too many DT rims to count. go mavic, industry nine, or something else that will stand up to dh abuse.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
don't forget the little foam pieces that keep out mud, they make you go faster.
Actually on the back side of the frame, behind the lower rail would be a good place for that stuff, its a b1tch to clean all the mud that always cakes in there.

The only thing that i would suggest is maybe switching out rims to 721s but that is just my personal preferance

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
My '06 is right at 43 and could be lighter as well.

Go with Diff Wheels. Hope or Hadley, laced to 823's.
Or go all out with I9's laced to 823's.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
See? This is what I like about RM. Useful advice here.

I feel a change of wheels coming on. I weigh in at 90kg and am pretty hard on wheels (I would like to think I am light and precise on the bike, but I'm probably not).

My second choice was Mavic 721s laced to Hope ProII hubs, so perhaps I'll go with them (unless there are objections).

Industry Nines look nice, but not really necessary are they.

Demo9, what is your build like and how would you make it lighter? Your 303 weighs about the same as my M3, which is fine...

I am looking for a light but realistic and sensible bike build here, not a silly uber-light build (ie no foam grips, single ply tires and 6 inch rotors etc... sorry steezy)

I'm liking the idea of the direct-mount crowns and stem. Where from and how much?

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Saint brakes with goodridge
and a Thomson post, unless you need the layback of an easton?

dt hubs on 721s would be sweet too.

Otherwise it looks like a sick build, just don't go breaking yourself so you can't rid the damn thing again!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yeah definitely the 721s over DTs... I have never seen so many people flatspot and fold front rims before DT got into the rim business.

Also, you ride in the alps heaps yeah? I'd be looking at Codes or something over Juicies... I know they're heavier but Juicies are in my experience quite easy to overheat.

Personally I would also run Shimano stuff over the SRAM but really, who cares, I'm sure you're capable of deciding what works for you there... spec looks pretty faultless other than that.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Try the Cane Creek 110 headset instead of the King. I don't think it offers any weight savings, but it is a really nice headset. And it comes with a 110 year warranty!

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
The only thing I would change is the frame. And make sure you mount the bars upside down.

No really, just different wheels like mentioned and maybe Codes

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
If the Risse crowns claim to improve steering geometry and response by steepening the HT angle (and also lowering ride height, but thats not relevant here), why don't all the companies that make the frames that have steeper HT angles? like does risse know something that say FTW doesn't?

I think you've got the picture about DT rims, i'm 160/72kg and dont ride that hard and destroyed a dt6.1d rim on the rear. Got industry nine's laced up to some alex supra D rims, good set up. Is there any reason why they aren't necessary? Anything will work though so long as its not dt rims

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
If the Risse crowns claim to improve steering geometry and response by steepening the HT angle (and also lowering ride height, but thats not relevant here), why don't all the companies that make the frames that have steeper HT angles? like does risse know something that say FTW doesn't?
Yes they do. That's why Risse is the number one brand in MTB...oh, wait, nevermind.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
or because it will likely build out to be lighter than a standard setup and by using a direct mount stem, your bars will be lower than if you had a standard stem setup.
and because when you crash your bars won't twist all over the place.......i love the risse crown on my fox fork......that and the sunline stem......it's tits mcgee

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001

I think you've got the picture about DT rims, i'm 160/72kg and dont ride that hard and destroyed a dt6.1d rim on the rear. Got industry nine's laced up to some alex supra D rims, good set up. Is there any reason why they aren't necessary? Anything will work though so long as its not dt rims
i think that just applied to their 888 crowns, which, when introduced, lower the axle to crown of the forks significantly, and in turn, steepened the head tube anlge.

there shouldn't be much if any change in geo for the risse crowns vs. the stock fox crowns.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
one more note...
go-ride has their integrated stem option as well, not sure, but might come out a bit cheaper than buying a risse+e13/sunline/whatever

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
This is great guys.:cheers:

So... Changes:

1. Mavic 823s on Hope ProII hubs
2. Ti Spring

Not really bothered with the direct mount idea anymore. The extra costs are not worth it. Also I don't really want/need a steeper head angle (although I could have used the setup on my old 888s) or blue ano...

One other thing- I mentioned I9s were not necessary. What I meant is that they still fall into the 'expensive' and 'bling' territory for me. I am sure they are great wheels though.

Convince me otherwise...:)

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
One other thing- I mentioned I9s were not necessary. What I meant is that they still fall into the 'expensive' and 'bling' territory for me. I am sure they are great wheels though.

Convince me otherwise...:)
Disclaimer: I work for I9.
I can offer you a biased opinion on the above question.

Our wheels would likely be considerably stiffer and better tracking than any of the other options. Also, due to lighter spokes and no nipples, there is considerably less rotational mass, giving quicker direction changes and acceleration/deceleration. Much quicker engagement (not everyone feels this is necessary, although most who have ridden a fast engaging hub never turn back). Excellent hub quality with a more flexible axle configuration system than any other hub on the market.
Most people have no idea about the engineering principles of our wheels and can't see past the "bling". You are not paying $900 for blue or gold. You are paying $900 for hubs and spokes entirely made in house, solid engineering principles, the flexibility of axle configuration and rim choices and supporting the fast dying art of manufacturing bike parts here in the US.

Sorry for the long post.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
On a side note, I9 sponsored a local ride we had at Windrock back November. Those guys donated and cooked hot dogs and hamburgers ALL day long for 2 days. If you like supporting cool guys, then I9 are those guys.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Always cool to hear from the guys within the industry. Sounds like you guys are onto a good thing showing great support in the "real world".
Question: I can sort out some of the basic problems with existing wheels. What are I9s like to work on? By this I mean anything from truing the wheel to disassembling the hubs... How would getting parts be here in Europe?