Quantcast

Props to Sportworks

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i've ran a Sportworks rack of some flavor for about two years now, first a 2" non-freerider hitch Transport, and now 2 Bob Ratchets on Thule bars. i'm still convinced that their design is the best on the market, and their customer service has been consistently great, even now, after the sale to Thule:

i ran into problems last year after overloading the Transport by a huge margin. the total weight was supposed to be 120 lbs. or less, iirc, and yet the rack lasted through the better part of shuttle season before beginning to bend under the strain of consistent 170-200 lb. loads (with 4 bike attachments) and off-road use. i felt understandably stupid when informed that i'd been exceeding the bike weight limits by so much, and gingerly snuck back into rei to take advantage of their no-questions-asked return policy. summary to this point: the rack worked great but i simply overtaxed it.

one of Sportworks' customer service reps recommended that i look to a roof rack + Bob Ratchet setup in the future since each of those is rated at 50 lbs. so fast forward a year, when i finally have 2 Bob Ratchets in my grubby paws. to my dismay one of them was the old style, with a 2 piece bearing that the front wheel arm rotates on vs. the bolted-together model on the new style.

going on a limb, i emailed the customer service rep with whom i'd discussed the overloading issue on my old Transport, and who had recommended i get Bob Ratchets. much to my surprise, she replied, and now sportworks is hooking me up with the new bearing setup, for free.

:thumb:

that's good service, and will keep me a loyal sportworks customer for the foreseeable future.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nice. I am a big fan of good customer service. I am willing to pay more money for good CS.

And as a bonus we now have Toshi's license plate number. Not that I know enough to actually do anything with it. :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
good luck doing anything with it, as the car has oregon plates these days :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I wonder how Thule is going to handle Sportworks claims in the future....

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Yea, sportworks was an awesome company and made really sweet racks. I sold a bunch of their hitch racks with the ratcheting arm, they were so easy to put bikes on and were made really well. Thule bought sportworks, and I do believe they will come with the thule name. I think I am going to buy a few of the quick load roof racks for my vehicle when they are available again.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Skookum said:
Have you moved back south?

and yah Sportworks is the best....
nope, the plates changed when my parents moved about a year ago. the pic is from when i was still out in boston (and when my parents were still in washington).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Sweet story!! Same service I get for them..I just hope this continues even if they got bought by Thule.

The new T2 hitch rack is specifically designed for heavier bikes. New 4-bar linkage hitch assembly is twice as strong as the TranSport series rack, enabling you to carry 4, 40lb bikes or 3, 50lb bikes. You can even do 2, 50lb bikes on the smaller size hitch assembly (1 and 1/4). You cannot do heavy bikes on a smaller hitch on any other rack. I've used mine with my DH bike, and its super solid.

Here is a pic with the 4 bike attachment.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I'd have to agree about Sportworks quality, usability and customer service. I knew the crew there in Seattle really well.

I'm actually completing a head-to-head test of the following racks:
Sportworks Bob Ratchet
http://www.feedthehabit.com/gear_reviews/sportworks_bob_ratchet_rack.html
THULE Super G
YAKIMA King Cobra

I haven't completed the review of the Yakima and Thule yet, but I can say that the Sportworks is much easier to use and much more sturdy overall than the other two.

Both the Thule and Yakima racks look fugly on top of the car too... too many bars, thingamajigs, etc.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Acadian said:
The new T2 hitch rack is specifically designed for heavier bikes. New 4-bar linkage hitch assembly is twice as strong as the TranSport series rack, enabling you to carry 4, 40lb bikes or 3, 50lb bikes. You can even do 2, 50lb bikes on the smaller size hitch assembly (1 and 1/4). You cannot do heavy bikes on a smaller hitch on any other rack. I've used mine with my DH bike, and its super solid.

How much does one of those set you back assuming you already have the hitch receiver if I might ask?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
nope, the plates changed when my parents moved about a year ago. the pic is from when i was still out in boston (and when my parents were still in washington).
Good well then how about a ride sometime soon. :) i promise not to take you too far out in the boonies. Doing Skookum Flats Saturday morning.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Skookum said:
Good well then how about a ride sometime soon. :) i promise not to take you too far out in the boonies. Doing Skookum Flats Saturday morning.
i've been super busy with school and music, and will be for a few more weeks. after june 5? i think i will be free for weekend riding.

another sportworks image, with a hint of my current plate :eek:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
i've been super busy with school and music, and will be for a few more weeks. after june 5? i think i will be free for weekend riding.

another sportworks image, with a hint of my current plate :eek:
Cool maybe some Anacortes or Galbraith should be in order. :cool: