Quantcast

protected roller

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
OK, after reading the post about the guy who kept crashing into his chainguide and rotating it, i thought about the possibility of making a floating lower roller. Basically it would be kept in place by chain tension pushing it down, but when a rock hits it hard enough it would rotate up and out of harm's way. The biggest issue I can think of would be keeping it stiff enough to do its job while allowing for motion, and it if it a dual ring system preventing it from rotating when it's not supposed to. Anyway, it's just an idea...

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Also known as the AC chain device...

I had one of these on my Giant Team DH in 2000. It wasn't that cool, but seems like a good idea.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
See the original Mr. Dirt Gizmo also.

Man, how many of you guys remember that AC guide that did that. OH my god. Remember the beginning of CR1?

dw

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Haven't had a moment to fix my rig yet, will post later. Your idea sounds good. Part of my problem is that I've got an e-type front der, mounted directly on the boomerang, so any movement at all is a problem for me. That and the fact that the guide hits the lower link/chainstay when it gets smacked, which has left me with a bent guide and a roller that binds.

But I don't want to discourage you, sounds like a good idea for folks without e-type front ders (or any front ders at all, for that matter).

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
I was thinking something along this line- this is my ghettorigged dual ring chainguide, made from a LRP roller and a truvative boomerang. Something like this, but able to move up during impacts as well.

Attachments