Quantcast

protein powders?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Is there any significan difference in different protein powders? There are different kinds of powders (milk, soy, whey, egg) and also different brands.

Are they all pretty much the same stuff?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
we've got a decent number of views here but no responses. Does nobody have experience with different protein powders or know anything about them?

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
so what i know, whey, casein, and egg, so whey is supposed to be the fastest acting, ie absorbing, so it is ideal for after working out, riding, in the morning, cause the protein is absorbed very rapidly, so when your muscles need it bad, they get it, the only bad thing about whey, is that it doesnt stay around long, ie it is abosrbed quickly, and then all used up, casein, is found in dairy products, it is slower acting, meaning it takes longer to assimilate into the muscles or whatever it does, so it is good to take before bed to prevent catabolism, and if you arent going to eat for a while, but it isnt ideal to eat right after a workout cause it takes a while to get all abosrbed up, and then eggs, they used to be the wonder protein until whey came out, they abosrb quick, are easy to get and prepare, and yeah, i think they taste good, whey is what you will find in most protein powders, casein is in many of the new "nightime" proteins, and there is always egg protein availabe, if you are going to buy one, you would probaly be best off with the whey, and take it after you workout, and when you wake up, and then drink milk, or eat some cheese, or yougurt before bed, and eat eggs, for extra protein
hope that helps
charlie
h

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
That summed it up pretty good.

I always reccomend buying protein from www.proteinfactory.com

They've got a great selection, custom mixes, and they'll tell you which one is good for what. I use two from them. Their ultimate whey combo and their sleep formula. The ultimate whey combo of theirs gets in my system a hell of a lot faster than other proteins. How can I tell? Gas. If you get gas from protein it means you've had too much in too little time. With the ultimate whey combo I have a quarter cup every hour or so starting when i begin my workout, ending 4 hours later. Never any gas when using 1/4 cup at a time.

Breakfast I always have some of the whey combo and eggs. I'll eat as much tuna as possible during the day as well. I'll finish off the day with a bigass sleep formula shake.

Oh yeah, stay away from soy. Its been known to increase estrogen and decrease testosterone. Not what you want for building muscle mass.

In conclusion, I'm basically going to repeat bbmj. Whey for post-workout and during the day, a sleep formula for at night, as much eggs and tuna as you can eat during the day. Remember, the protein isn't going to do JACK unless you're working out hard, and often.

solid

Chimp
Oct 16, 2003
the armpit of america
For your basic purposes generic soy (cheap!) will yield the same results as the expensive whey proteins. Unless your only goal is to get obscenely huge you might as well save your money.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
as far as shakes in the morning, the reason most people will do this is because you havent eaten anything for the last 6-10hours, so your body becomes catabolic, which means it starts burning muscle for fuel, so by drinking a whey protein shake right when you wake up, the protein gets into your system fast and helps stop the catabolism, and get you body rearing to go again, as far as soy goes, in moderate amounts it is okay, but like Jorvik mentioned and i have also heard, that too much soy can be bad, you can get whey protein for pretty cheap, designer whey, isnt too bad, ironmind.com, has some good stuff for cheap, and elitefts.com also have some good stuff, made by beverlies, you might check that out
charlie

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
what about the mixed protein powders with whey, soy, and egg all mixed into one. Does that have a good advantage? You would get the fast acting and the longer lasting protein in one package.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Somebody on this board said that they use the Protein Factory penta protein formula without the soy. Thats got the fast and long proteins mixed in. I'd do something like that if I was going to go for the single protein shake route. If you can't have more than a couple shakes a day, definatly the way to go.

With the soy, its really not that much cheaper than whey protein, so I really wouldn't bother. The cheap store brand protein mixes are pretty darn good quality. Soy in the amounts of protein your body requires to build sizable mass would not be optimal. Soy pheytoestrogens (soy proteins) are what menopausal women are after to boost their estrogen levels.

I'm getting to be a freak about what protein and supplements go into me, but most people will be just fine with a regular generic protein shake from GNC.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
generic protein from GNC. Hehe.. Everything I saw at GNC was way more expensive than anything else I've seen around.

How about this generic stuff. There's a clear bag of powder at my local health food store with a sticker on it that says "whey protein". HOw's that for generic?

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
honestly i think that you dont really need any extra protein powder or any of that stuff, if you eat an okay diet, like eggs, meat, fish, milk, you should be fine, i gave up on the supplements after sinking over $2000, and that is not an exaggeration, i am stronger now than i have ever been, the only possible downside i can see, is that there is a bit of convenience i found in being able to mix up a meal replacement, and drink that in place of a meal, but it wasnt worth 85 or more dollars a month
charlie
as far as buying it, like is said ironmind check this out http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/
or at elitefts, they are a great company, and i say support them, they sell beverly products which are supposed to be great
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/frames.asp

zibbler

Monkey
Yeah, the Protein Factory is great, and they have excellent customer service. I mix together whey protein isolate with egg whites. I'm lactose intolerant, but the whey protein isolate has had all the lactose removed, so I can digest it easily. I don't have a very big appetite, so I supplement a couple of meals with protein drinks in order to get the protein I need.

I usually have a shake for breakfast cuz I really don't like solid food first thing in the morning. I take 5 gms. of Glutamine, wait about 30 minutes, then have a protein shake. Then I go to the gym and work out. After my workout I'll take another 5 gms. of glutamine, wait 30 minutes, then I will have an IsoPure protein drink. About an hour later I will have my lunch. I will often have one more protein shake mid afternoon to boost my protein intake, then I'll have a light dinner later on.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
I have only used Whey protein. As I am allergic to soy in any normal size dose(can't even finish an order of edamme without my throat starting to swell) Compare how much protein it contains vs how large of a scoop size. I also like the less flavorfull vanilla ones - the kidn that tast like sweet water.

I got my stuff on eBay of all places, it was like $30 for 10lbs or something like that.

I take double serving before I work out(lift), then when I get back I make one really strong with a banana smoothie(just 4 heaping scoops of protein, a whole banana, some skim milk and some ice)

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by zibbler
Yeah, the Protein Factory is great, and they have excellent customer service. I mix together whey protein isolate with egg whites. I'm lactose intolerant, but the whey protein isolate has had all the lactose removed, so I can digest it easily. I don't have a very big appetite, so I supplement a couple of meals with protein drinks in order to get the protein I need.

I usually have a shake for breakfast cuz I really don't like solid food first thing in the morning. I take 5 gms. of Glutamine, wait about 30 minutes, then have a protein shake. Then I go to the gym and work out. After my workout I'll take another 5 gms. of glutamine, wait 30 minutes, then I will have an IsoPure protein drink. About an hour later I will have my lunch. I will often have one more protein shake mid afternoon to boost my protein intake, then I'll have a light dinner later on.
what's the reasoning behind taking the glutamine? does it help with the digestion of protein? :confused: thanks!

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I checked out proteinfactory but their web site annoyed me so much I had to leave pretty quickly.

I eventually ordered some from http://www.bodybuilding.com/

They have a wide variety of protein powders and a good search engine that allows you to select the criteria for the powder that you are looking for. Pretty slick.