Quantcast

Protein shakes and kidney stones?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by sugarbushrider1, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sugarbushrider1

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    So I finally got serious about eating right/exercising. I am running 2-3 miles (treadmill while the weather is still cold here in VT), and lifting heavily every other day (biceps, chest, triceps, quads, calves, etc.) In order to build mass for football next fall, I am doing less reps with more weight. Recently, I have begun to take protein shakes once a day on those that I only run, and twice a day when I lift and run. All in all, I am getting about 36g of protein/shake. This is on top of 1200mg of Omega 3/6 fish oil pills and a multi vitamin daily. I am 6'8", 280lbs with 18.85% body fat currently (not exact). I am eating right, lots of vegetables/whole grain/fruit/lean meat (skinless chicken breast), and the more I continue this lifestyle change, the better it feels and the less i think about eating the crap I used to.

Anyways, do I run any risk of forming kidney stones or other issues with the extra protein I am taking in? I drink at least 3 liters of water a day. Also, if anyone has any suggestions or anything about my diet/exercise routine, please let me know, I'm new to this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. reflux

reflux Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    Find yourself to www.coachdos.com

Coach, along with the other bright minds on that board, will help answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

3. BlackElvis

BlackElvis Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    No you don't, as long as you drink enough water it's ok (min. 3-4l)

If you want to gain any muscular mass just keep eating as much as you can. Consider about buying some creatin for more intensive trainings and faster regeneration.

4. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Not likely. There are several types of kidney stones, most (if not all) have nothing to do with protein.

5. sugarbushrider1

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    thanks guys, i realize this isn't the best place for a question like this, so i appreciate the answers and the forum where this would be better asked.

6. ultraNoob

ultraNoob Yoshinoya Destroyer

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    Never had any kidney stones when I'm in the middle of a training program, but I did notice some dificulty peeing when I first started using the EAS whey protein. Dificulty only lasted about 3-4 days. Guess my body had to get used to it.

7. Sinister17

Sinister17 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Interesting comment re: EAS whey protein. That stuff didn't burn very clean in my system. I quit using it.

Belay the above comment on creatine; not good.

#7 -   Apr 7, 2008
  8. launburga

launburga Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Belay the above comment on creatine; not good.[/QUOTE]

Elaborate on your reasoning that creatine is not good, please. I am interested in your background and knowledge pertaining to supplements

9. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Consumption of some sources of protein can contribute to both calcium and uric acid stones:

From kidney stone types at:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=80834

More on the nutrition industry and protein (you probably don't need much extra - this is what my nutritional science professor echoed and he's an over 30 year veteran in his field)...

10. launburga

launburga Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Plentiful studies(in which I have personally read and am not going to go through the trouble of quoting) have proven that in endurance athletes and "bodybuilders" Protein intake should be between 1-2 grams per pound of bodyweight for optimum benefits. I have personally seen the gains in lean body mass on my own body just by increasing my protein intake while utilizing the same workout. I believe that results speak for themselves, not ONE "doctors" opinion. I'm sure that the reference material he refers to was not HIS OWN highly controlled laboratory study done over many years with many different people of different body composition. I'm sure this man had never studied an elite bodybuilder, or elite athlete of any type for a prolonged period of time. Not once in your quote is a Specific study referred to. It just says "In fact, increased whey protein added to the diet of rats increased tumors and cancers." Where? In what study? Who performed the study? What were the controls? For Every Point someone is going to make, someone will have a counterpoint. Just for your own sake, make sure it is an educated one. Don't just quote something you read supposedly written by some "doctor". There are plenty of people out there who don't have an M.D. that know more than you and I both that will give you a pretty good schooling on nutrition and supplements-I guarantee more than your Doc. buddy. Read up some more and do some studies of your own, I bet you'll be suprised if you learn to be more open-minded.:crazy:
    P.S. That little thing about the '64 German Olympic team- Why don't you look it up. A little thing called 17aa oral steroids. Dianabol to be exact. Read about who invented it and for who. Another reason you shouldn't quote things and try to make a point you have no Idea about. Ass

11. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    You need a basic understanding of what a valid scientific study is and biases. I don't care how many you are offering if they are from the industries that make the supplements. That is how the artificial sweetner industry got their garbage pushed through the FDA - studies they paid for and former executives that went on to work for the FDA.

Also you missed this part right after he mentioned those athletes:

Anyone would easily trust a well respect nutritional sciences professor of 30 years rather than some clueless person from the Internet - my professor is an academic with no commercial interests and has plenty of college athletes in their prime to study. Nutritional/supplement companies specialize in BS, not results. Look at all the silly overpriced nutrition products in the cycling industry alone.

Sugar pills work great for a lot of fools too...

12. launburga

launburga Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I have been active in health and fitness all of my life begining with Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Kenpo Karate and Muay Tai Kickboxing to Rollerblading, Bikeriding, Running and Weight lifting. Not once did I say "I read in this magazine" or "This one supplement company did this study, and...". You have a problem with not being open minded. Listen, I have been studying this as a passion for my health, well being, and peace of mind-not for some college credits. The original poster specifically asked because he had a major change in his fitness program toward high stress aerobic and anaerobic exercise. You posted a quote that pertained to...

"The AVERAGE AMERICAN consumes about fifty percent more protein than the recommended daily amount. Yet we often see—in addition to misinformed athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and bodybuilders—businessmen and women, homemakers, and those seeking to lose weight turning to protein powders, drinks, and nutritional bars in their quest for even more protein."

Have you ever used any performance enhancing supplement? Doesn't sound like you have. To put it bluntly, Shut up unless you have something to say from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Good or Bad. I may be half retarded but I'd listen to someone who said "This Protein, or this creatine, or this fat burner, or this work out routine, worked or didn't work for me" than someone who posted someone else's supposed studies.

Listen, It's Ignorant for me to even continue this discussion with you because you immediatly shut the door for any other reasoning. You say anyone would easily trust some well respected nutritional science major over someone on the internet. I don't. I have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that contradicts whatever your BHUDDA has to say so I guess to each, his own. Again, all I'm saying is do a little research of your own, be your own man, don't just parrot what someone else says. Hitler had an opinion too. Does it make it right?

13. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    As I said above, placebos work for people too. Also a lot of people interpret any change as a change for the better when its just a difference they are noticing - maybe at the same level/insignificant or sometimes actually worse than baseline. People don't want to think they were making an effort for nothing.

I have used excessive amounts of whey powder and other BS a few times before I knew any better - a majority of supplement users don't need much as the industry claims (as I noted, I didn't say its completely necessary) . My family has been involved in the sport industry since the early 70s before I was born. My father has been a certified athletic professional for almost as long and has coached several world class men and women athletes, and is a majority partner in a multi-million dollar sports facility so yeah, I've have heard and experiences all sorts of bull**** from the sports and nutritional supplements industry.

14. launburga

launburga Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I didn't see you write that placebos work in anything you had written. Your father is a certified athletic professional WHAT? Coached WORLD CLASS men and women? WHAT KIND? WHAT SPORT? When making those kind of claims, better have some substanital FACTS to throw in there with it. Even if you're B.S.'in at least make it sound like you know what you're talking about.
    "I have used excessive amounts of whey powder and other BS a few times before I knew any better " How did you know better- You read or heard from some one else it was BAD? Did you see negative results? How long did you use the supplements? I HAVE USED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF SUPPLEMENTS, PERFORMANCE ENHACERS, PRO-HORMONES AND PRO-STEROIDS, MOST HAVE WORKED, SOME HAVE NOT. I HAVE FIRST HAND RESULTS AND LOSSES. Please don't continue to post second and third hand experiences, you just make yourself seem less like your own person and more like an ass. I'm sorry that you are so closed minded. It's a shame that there are people out there that might actually listen to what you have to say. People like you are the reason that people have Phobias and old wives tales get started. BE YOUR OWN MAN, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, GIVE YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE, DONT GIVE ANY ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 8
    Wow. 10 posts and you already made my ignore list. And not just for this post either.

you = :plthumbsdown:

16. launburga

launburga Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    And now from the peanut gallery....^^^
    I love how people interpert BOLD as yelling. Did you HEAR me say anything because I haven't spoken a word. I was hoping that he would have less of a chance of reading over the point i was making again. Straying from the norm catches peoples attention, he didn't seem like he was paying attention. And no I'm not angry, I just love it when someone reads one article from some "doctor" and takes it as the bible. I was honestly hoping I could make your ignore list in 5 but seems I failed.:nopity: