Quantcast

Protein vs. Carbs? NEED HELP

Chelseapiggy

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Winston-Salem NC
Hey guys!

I need some advice.. Protein vs carbohydrates? I was in GNC this past weekend and was looking at recovery mixes/gu packs/drinks/shakes etc.. I was wondering what kind of ratio would be best for a woman's body???:oink:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
if you don't get a lot of feed back here, you may want to post this in food and nutrition. I know nothing of good protien to carb ratio.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
For a recovery drink the reported magic number is a 4/1 ratio of carbs to proetein.
But you can step outside of GNC and save yourself a lot of money.
A recent study showed that one of the best recovery drinks (and definitely one of the cheapest and best tasting) is good old chocolate milk and after plenty of experimenting myself I have to agree with the findings of the study.
Slim fast also makes a pretty good recovery drink, is relatively inexpensive and easily portable.

If you decide you want something with a bit more protein then skip GNC and get yourslef some protein powder from the bulk bins at a good grocery store and come up with your own creation. If you don't have a store with a good bulk bin section then you can get large cans of plain protein.

For years I experimented with off the shelf protein mixes. I tried things like MetriX which tastes like crap and doesn't mix easily but has low sugar to some of the less expensive Weider mixes which tasted better and mixed easier but had pretty substantial amounts of sugar.
In the end I grew tired of the taste and the expense of all of them.

Then one day I picked up some plain old whey protein and decided to make my own. I've had the same shake for breakfast now almost every mornign for the last 2-3 years and haven't got tired of it yet. The only change I made was about 6 months ago when I switched to using chocolate milk instead of white milk and Nestlee Quick.
My recipe:
8 Oz. chocolate milk (currently we use a low sugar/boosted protein variety available at our local chain called Mootopia)
3 tbsp protein powder (you can add as little or as much as you like)
1 Bananna
Spoonfool of Peanut Butter (again, use as little or as much as you like).

Blend well and enjoy. The final product is rich, creamy, and quite tasty. Mohshee has been enjoying them with me for the last year and can back up my claims.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
TBFKAHG My recipe:
8 Oz. chocolate milk (currently we use a low sugar/boosted protein variety available at our local chain called Mootopia)
1 Bananna
now that sounds good:drool:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
dirtydirtysouf said:
now that sounds good:drool:
:stupid:
I'm not a healthy nut or a Dr., but I have to agree with the idea of using SlimFast or Boost (I have also been using Ensure Healthy Mom drinks too) for a recovery drink. They're quite portable and not expensive. Oh, and there's always Guiness too :Drool:

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
My recipe:
1 Bananna

I was wondering if you can tell me how many calories are in the 3 tbsp of protein powder?

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
luvz2ridez said:
I was wondering if you can tell me how many calories are in the 3 tbsp of protein powder?
It depends the protein powder you use but generally speaking the reccommended serving size will be between 15 and 25 grams of protein so anywhere from 60 to 100 calories.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I recently started seeing a dr. who's also a nutritionist. I realized that for my activity level (even for the RDA which is low), I'm not eating enough protein at all.

The RDA recommendation for protein is .4 grams/ lb of body weight. Endurance athletes should have .5-.9/lb

This is hard to do! She wasn't crazy about protein drinks. Milk is a great recovery drink and I also like the Clif Builder Bars.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
bluebug32 said:
The RDA recommendation for protein is .4 grams/ lb of body weight. Endurance athletes should have .5-.9/lb

This is hard to do! She wasn't crazy about protein drinks. Milk is a great recovery drink and I also like the Clif Builder Bars.
Curious. Did she say why she wasn't crazy about protein drinks?

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
bluebug32 said:

This is hard to do!.
I believe that's supposed to be grams/kilogram of body weight, not pounds so its really not that hard to do.
At 185 lbs at a little over 80 kilograms. So even at the high end of the scale I'm looking at 80 grams a day of protein.
My breakfast shake has 35-40 grams of protein so I'm already halfway there. A sammich for lunch ad a chicken breast at dinner and I've reached my mark.