Quantcast

Protesting Military Funerals

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
i read this on Skineheads.net figured you kids could fight about it for a while

Phelps' Group Protests At Soldier's Funeral Fri Aug 5, 7:58 PM ET

Members of the Rev. Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., are picketing military funerals, KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reported Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group has made national headlines for traveling throughout the country to picket gay churches, gay weddings, and the funeral of Matthew Shepard, a gay college student who was murdered in Wyoming in 1998.

Friday, about 15 members of the group -- some of them children -- picketed the funeral of a St. Joseph soldier who was killed in Iraq. Mahoney reported that the group stood across the road from the Grace Evangelical Church during the funeral of 21-year-old Spc. Edward Myers.

"The first sin was being a part of this military. If this young man had a clue and any fear of God, he would have run, and not walked, from this military," said protester Shirley Phelps-Roper. "Who would serve a nation that is godless and has flipped off, defiantly defied, defiantly flipped off, the Lord their God?"

One protester had an American flag tied to his belt that draped to the ground. He was holding a sign that read, "Thank God For IEDs," which are explosive devices used by insurgents to blow up military convoys.

Protesters said America has ignored the word of God, and those who defend the nation must pay a price.

"That's the first piece of solid evidence that you have that the young man is currently in hell," Phelps-Roper said.

"The soldier is in hell now, you believe?" Mahoney asked.

"Absolutely," Phelps-Roper said.

'Protesters Were Rude'

About a dozen veterans stood across the road from the protesters, and Mahoney reported that there were some harsh words and insults traded between the two groups. However, sheriff deputies were stationed about 100 yards away and there was no violence.

"The protesters were so rude -- were disrespectful," said veteran Jim Fields.

"Do I like it? No, I don't. But what can you say, it's a free country," said veteran Dave Campbell.

Veterans told KMBC that a member of the soldier's family shouted at the protesters to leave, and they left about 20 minutes after the funeral started. Mahoney reported that there was applause from veterans and other crowd members when the protesters left.

After the funeral was over, one of the mourners commented on the irony of the protesters showing up at a soldier's funeral.

"They shouldn't protest the funeral for a man who was out there dying to protect the rights that they're demanding they receive," said Marvin Russell.

Russell said he thinks the soldier's family saw the protesters.

"I think it saddened them. They didn't say anything outright, but you could tell by the way they looked down that this was a sad thing to do. They're already in mourning, they don't need people like this to make it worse," Russell said.

Myers was buried with full military honors in Leavenworth National Cemetery. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

One of the protesters said the group is planning to picket other military funerals.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Wow opposed to the military AND gays. That certainly creates a dillemna for the far-right, doesn't it?

(edit: from my POV, it's nice to know that pretty much everyone not in this group hates this group [yeah, common ground between me and N8, whats up?!?], and if there is a hell, these folks will be the first ones to go there)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
These morons are still at it...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9102443/

Anti-gay church protests at soldiers’ funerals

SMYRNA, Tenn. - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Slugman said:
These morons are still at it...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9102443/

Anti-gay church protests at soldiers’ funerals

SMYRNA, Tenn. - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.
The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps’ children, grandchildren and in-laws.
That could get ugly quick.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I've been to that site a few times for the comedy value. It is totally ridiculous, eh?

The guy is utterly obsesed with homosexuality. He can link anything to it. It's quite amazing. He would probably be charged with preaching hate in the UK. (We have laws against inciting racial and sexual hatred - not sure if there are similar statutes in the US).

He probably spends more time thinking about butt sex than most gays. Maybe one day some 6'4" 300lbs sailor will give him what he so desperatly seems to want. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Changleen said:
I've been to that site a few times for the comedy value. It is totally ridiculous, eh?

The guy is utterly obsesed with homosexuality. He can link anything to it. It's quite amazing. He would probably be charged with preaching hate in the UK. (We have laws against inciting racial and sexual hatred - not sure if there are similar statutes in the US).

He probably spends more time thinking about butt sex than most gays. Maybe one day some 6'4" 300lbs sailor will give him what he so desperatly seems to want. :D
I literally went and washed my hands and face and put the yogurt I was eating back after looking at that site. It really does bother me. That hate is just so focused and.... its seemingly worse than serial killer writings.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Changleen said:

Ah Ha!!! Your an F'ng Canuck .. from Canuckistan ... I KNEW it. Profile says NZ, but now you profess UK'dom ... but you said "eh". And only Canucks say "eh". [Absolute empirical evidence there, no refutation necessary] :dancing:

context: Biligerent drunk at the table blurting out nonsense.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
"Birds of a feather flock together..."

:p:p:p

Rev. Phelps' Affiliations with Al Gore and Democratic Party
In the 1980s, the Phelps family were strong political allies with then-senator Al Gore. The home of Fred Jr., Phelps' eldest son, located in the Westboro compound, acted as Gore's campaign quarters for one of his senate races, and the Westboro compound was host to a fundraiser. Numerous photos exist on the internet of Fred Phelps Jr. and his second wife, Betty Phelps-Schurle, posing with Al and Tipper Gore in Phelps Jr.'s home. Phelps also served as a Gore delegate on the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Atlanta in 1988. (link with photos.)

http://www.lcrga.com/archive/200010251159.shtml

In the four years following 1992, Phelps (and consequently Westboro) turned against Gore for his and Clinton's decided pro-and-neutral stances on homosexuality. Gore nevertheless invited Fred Phelps, Marge, Fred Jr., and Betty back for the 1997 inauguration; they responded by bringing the entirety of Westboro to the White House and picketing on the front lawn during the ball, (report on Phelps' ball picket) with signs proclaiming that Gore, Clinton, and both mens' families were going to hell not necessarily for their stances on homosexuality, but because they had "betrayed" Westboro.

In 1998, Westboro picketed the funeral of Gore's father, screaming vulgarities at Gore and telling him "your dad's in Hell."

Rev. Phelps has run in numerous Democratic primary elections for governor of the state of Kansas in 1992, 1994, and the last time in 1998, when he came in last with 15,000 votes out of a total of over 103,000 votes cast, or 15%.

In the aftermath of the election, in an incident that would be repeated years later when Phelps circulated a fuzzy petition to outlaw homosexual work protection, numerous Kansas residents who had cast votes for Phelps came forward to express their distaste for him. They claimed that Phelps had lied about his intentions to numerous constituents, using double-talk and fuzzy language to confuse them; neglected to mention his stances on race, religion, and homosexuality, and campaigned mainly on the platform of a "good ol' boy" Southern gentleman and retired lawyer unfairly prosecuted by the system. (Residents request removal)

http://edition.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/08/05/kansas.results/

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Maybe we could "convince" them to picket Sunni funerals in Iraq, while wearing George Bush tee shirts, hopefully by forcefully removing them from a C-130 at about 35,000 ft.