Quantcast

proto midnite 'gizmo' stem

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I run Thomsons on all of my bikes EXCEPT my bmx. All of my friends that got them hate them, they slip ALL the time. Its to bad.
yeah, there's a lot of haters out there for the thomson but it's mainly for looks from what I've read. I kinda watched the recommendations of the old skoolers on bikeguide and there are several that swear by it and I'm sure they ride a LOT more than I do. Until it slips or gives me issues, I'll stand by it. I'd say it's one of the nicest components of bought in a long time and if you properly torque the six bolts, I don't think it'll slip, or for me at least...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That Midnite stem look horrid... 5 seperate pieces would blow trying to get it all together or for anyone that travels with their bike..
One of the main reasons I didn't like my Odyessey Elementary stem. Change a pair of forks or bars and it was a big pain in the a$$.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
hmmmm.... that Midnite needs some help IMO.... but hey, it is a proto.
Just like a kink. But it's like sideways from the kink, as if you were to put the bar clamp on the steerer and put the bolts where the steerer was... maybe just to set it apart from the kink? Don't know why, but with those gaps it seems it may get some funky twisting, esp. upon installation.
No doubt about the ziploc baggies, haha! One thing I like about the kink is it doesn't fall apart without bars or stem in place, like the elementary. The Relief has some tiny grooves machined into the center wedge to keep them in there if the bar clamps are secured.

The T1 looks like it clamps similar to the Straitline Wedge.

new superstar isn't a bad looker either.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Satori, how do you like your Kink stem - i was all about it, but someone recently was telling me its slipping and crappy. I dont want to believe them.
How is your experience w it?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I'm sorry as light as that thing is, it should be called the "UAF". I think it has to do with the 6 bolt front as I like the mtb stems they make.
Are there any verdicts on their 25.4 mtn. stems? Specifically the 50mm version? I'm looking at picking one up..

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Are there any verdicts on their 25.4 mtn. stems? Specifically the 50mm version? I'm looking at picking one up..
I'm currently running a 50mm/31.8 Thomson on my sussy rig and a 100mm/25.4 Thomson on my rigid XC/SS bike. I've had good luck with Thomson product including the seatposts. The reason the BMX stems might slip is that the clamp size is 22.2 so it might make the slight difference in clamping power.

Another thing I've heard, is that the Thomson might creak when used with a Chris King headset due to the Thomson clamp style and King headset design - I guess they don't work great together especially with longer travel forks.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
def. not feeling the midnite stem, def. diggin the t1 stem!!!

word, to what don said, in my experience chris king headsets are not that great of a option for bikes that get abused and especially using longer travel forks... regardless of stem choice... the biggest problem being a shallow lower cup insertion depth.

I've had great luck with Thomson products! (you do have to keep the bolts greased properly otherwise they are creaky when installing/removing the faceplate or loosening the steer tube clamp)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Satori, how do you like your Kink stem - i was all about it, but someone recently was telling me its slipping and crappy. I dont want to believe them.
How is your experience w it?
The relief stem has been solid. Never had an issue with slipping bars, even in crashes, but then again, I've never run it with bmx bars (more leverage for slippage). I gotta mention, there is a VERY FINE LINE between too loose, and too tight and crushing your bars or even steerer tube. Get that dialed in right with an even amount of torque on all four bolts, and equal gaps in top and bottom, and you'll be golden though.

Yeah, Thomson is highly regarded for a reason. I've only had great luck with their products in the past. Chris king... well, that's a whole 'nutha story.
And castle's right about greasing those bolts, gotta do that.

...and what was that weirdo wrap around puzzle stem that SuperRat did up awhile ago for some company? Man that thing was funky, more art than function it appeared to me though.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
...and what was that weirdo wrap around puzzle stem that SuperRat did up awhile ago for some company? Man that thing was funky, more art than function it appeared to me though.
that was a design for a flatland company I think...I could be wrong on that though. it did look nice and whenever superrat does something, it's totally pimp. case in point: