Quantcast

Proto Voltage

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey guys.
The horizontal dropouts are coming I am told. It weighs the same as the old Voltage give or take 50 grams. I asked them to weld my post in the seat tube so that is not a production feature. The geo is:
CS 385mm
HA 69°
BB drop -15mm
TT just long enough to Xup/barspin (the seat tube angle is slack and welded in front of the bb so a normal TT measurement doesn't say much)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Here is a quick pic of my new bike. I have never loved a hardtail so much. The geometry is spot on and makes everything easier.

looks sweet.... the bike too, haha, j/k! You, buckoW, have single-handedly got me movin' the land of Switzer up on my list of places to go!

Like the weld on pivotal mount too! :busted:
Mine's still rockin' out like a guinness stout.

I think a lot of you are confusing tube diameter with "overbuilt burlyness". It's probably an aluminum alloy, calling for the larger tube diameter, versus the smaller chromoly frames some of us are getting used to looking at in the dj/street market these days. That tubing almost makes the Fox36float look like a 32 w/ 20mm thru-axle! Almost had me questioning if it was one of those 32's with the new 15mm thru-axle stuff or something....

That Pimp Disc looks trick on there too, isn't that what that is? always liked the thinner spokes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks Satori. Switzerland is a great spot for the bicycles.
It's a Formula disc and the frame weighs 5 lbs. The CS looks overbuilt but everything is internally machined. The chainstays have to be tall because one of the goals was to run up to a 38T chainring and chainguide for the 4X guys. Someday I will weigh it.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I don't remember the models right now, but the shop has a mid-line one(the sweet bright green) for $700 and a green and white one for $1200.
Building my DH rig and trying to travel with a wife and 2 kids at home is KILLING me and the wallet!
And personally...I like vertical dropouts. no need for chain tensioners and other silly little parts to come loose.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Alright, just got back from building my first 4X track in a town 6hrs away! Pretty stoked!
I lacked the funds for the Voltage at the time, but I got to put in a little time on it and I gotta say I'm pretty damn happy! It instantly felt perfect to me! I tested no less than 5 steel frames from Easterns to Black Markets to TOPs and the Voltage was exactly what I was hoping to feel from a hardtail. I guess I AM a little biased as I've always liked aluminum frames, but I kept an open mind. So the Voltage it is. But now just gotta decide if I want to wait until the new ones are out or just grab this one...?

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
Alright, just got back from building my first 4X track in a town 6hrs away! Pretty stoked!
I lacked the funds for the Voltage at the time, but I got to put in a little time on it and I gotta say I'm pretty damn happy! It instantly felt perfect to me! I tested no less than 5 steel frames from Easterns to Black Markets to TOPs and the Voltage was exactly what I was hoping to feel from a hardtail. I guess I AM a little biased as I've always liked aluminum frames, but I kept an open mind. So the Voltage it is. But now just gotta decide if I want to wait until the new ones are out or just grab this one...?
definitely wait for the new ones to come out, they're alot nicer than this year's imho. when they come out, i'm gunna sell my current bike and buy one.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
For 4X, this year's model is very nice. The longer chainstays help keep the stability at speed. When speed manualing a double or roller I like it a little longer but at the same time you can run the 1 cm longer dropouts from the Gambler to get the new bike a bit more 4x-ish. I think the new one is loads better but it doesn't come out until next year.