Quantcast

Prototype 2009 DHR

turnerbikes

Chimp
Nov 20, 2004
Well, here is #1. DW and I worked real hard to make this the best DH bike we could come up with. This bike has some big shoes to fill following the Sunday of Daves and my line of DHR's.

This bike will be on display in Vegas, but since it is not heat treated there will be no bouncing or test riding. Wish it was possible but we ran out of time.

It is a little early to mention weight of a proto, but for the sake of conversation it is 405 grams lighter than the 08 DHR, yes that is with a steel spring. Fitz from Fox loaned us his Ti spring so it looks cooler on display. Thanks Mark.

And I cannot thank Darren at PUSH enough for making this possible. The machinist that was making the 8 main pivot bolts dropped the ball last week and we were done. When Darren found out he asked for the drawing and with a change of wrench type was able to make a bikes worth in a day and over night them to us.

David Turner

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If I could deliver you my sister as a slave welder(or whatever else you need :P ) can you make it before march? ;)
Too bad I'm on the other side of the globe.

Jun 20, 2007
Good luck with it.

I am glad you are here. I think it is really great that there are so many major industry people here on ridemonkey, giving us info and clarification on their products, and getting some real world feedback in return.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looks great!

And regarding what Horror Business said, I totally agree. More direct industry involvement/communication can only be a good thing.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
that looks awesome, though the shock and upper pivots seem vulnerable to trail crap.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So the first proto isn't even rideable yet in late September and it is going to be available as an '09 frame, does this concern anyone else at all? doesn't leave much time for testing.

At least yeti, intense, trek, orange, morewood, and even iron horse tested their prototypes (and several versions of each in some cases) on the world cup circuit for at least part of a season before releasing them.

Here's wishing tuner good luck. :cheers:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
A lighter Sunday - its tempting even though my Sunday is still in good shape.

My only concern is the shock and its protection from the elements. Any plans to include a fender or is it nothing to worry about?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So the first proto isn't even rideable yet in late September and it is going to be available as an '09 frame, does this concern anyone else at all? doesn't leave much time for testing.

At least yeti, intense, trek, orange, morewood, and even iron horse tested their prototypes (and several versions of each in some cases) on the world cup circuit for at least part of a season before releasing them.

:stupid:
Smart buisness move, isn't it? Hype a bike over the web, many people will buy it and after the first season Turner will know what doesn't work and can change it for 2010. This way you save the money that you would spend on testing and/or a race team. ;):imstupid:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:stupid:
Smart buisness move, isn't it? Hype a bike over the web, many people will buy it and after the first season Turner will know what doesn't work and can change it for 2010. This way you save the money that you would spend on testing and/or a race team. ;):imstupid:
That a bit of an overstatement. I don't think that any1 associated with the bike would do sth like that intentionaly. Everyone knows Dave's and Dave's attention to detail. It's hard to belive that there will be no testing and knowing DW he will probably want to soild the **** out of the frame ;) It may have some early issues but many great companies had issues with their frames (look at early m6 for example). Also Turner bikes is known for it's CS so I doubt that there will be any warranty problems.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
If no one else will swing at the softball, I will:

Not heat treated? No worries! Send that sucker out to the Dirt Demo anyway. Never stopped Jan K. :)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I really hate e-speculation so I'm kicking myself for saying this, but the HA looks a bit sharper than I expected?

Otherwise very nice bike indeed.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jeez...

Easy guys - give Turner a chance to reply to the "lack of prototype testing" stuff. Yeah, the welds are still smoking on the demo bike - but from what I understand, it's there for only 1 purpose: To give riders a chance to see what the new rig will look like in person...

...and if I know DW - he's blown at least 2 power packs on his hot-rodded CPU running FEA all up and down that sun-biotch... :biggrin: ...not the same as real-world testing where a majority of test data is gathered, but I don't see why they wouldn't put this thing through the wringer out on the mountain before going to production...

EDIT: The new rig looks awesome! I'm oldskool, so a flat black front triangle with a polished rear swing arm would look pretty sweet...

Last edited:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I will say it again and again that is by far the most amazing bike I have EVER seen!! seriously...congratulations dave on making this masterpiece, if there was a nobel prize for bikes you would win it with this one for sure!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Unlike iron horse, turner has a pretty good history of having things like fasteners and pivots dialed before they release the bike. The 03s were an exception with some weak ass swing link plates but those got remedied real quick like. These guys kind of knowing what they're doing is my mindset.

So in answer to your question: No. Not really. If it comes out a month later then so be it. And I actually know they have some plans for some specific testing coming up pretty soon. Enough time to get some real deal unkarpieled treated frames even :D

It's just an interbike showpiece but at least it's something you can look at in person that's not a jpeg.

And I definitely now know that I will not be getting a green and white one if I go the dhr route next year :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Turner does not need luck.
He has been putting out quality bikes with quality pivots for years.
Here is an example of a quality company:
In 03, on those weak swing links Kidwoo was talking about.
As soon as Turner found out that some of them were breaking,
Greg contacting me to tell me that he was going to send our team redesigned ones, BEFORE anything ever broke. We only broke one of the old ones anyway, but it happened at a big race, and I pulled out a new link out of my toolbox and we were back on course in no time.
Compare that with Iron Donkey putting out Sundays for what, the first 3 years, every one of them had more rear end play than Heidi Fleiss.:shocked:
You make your own luck.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Turner does not need luck.
He has been putting out quality bikes with quality pivots for years.
Here is an example of a quality company:
In 03, on those weak swing links Kidwoo was talking about.
As soon as Turner found out that some of them were breaking,
Greg contacting me to tell me that he was going to send our team redesigned ones, BEFORE anything ever broke. We only broke one of the old ones anyway, but it happened at a big race, and I pulled out a new link out of my toolbox and we were back on course in no time.
Compare that with Iron Donkey putting out Sundays for what, the first 3 years, every one of them had more rear end play than Heidi Fleiss.:shocked:
You make your own luck.
Jeremy for prez!

Kinda funny how everyone jumps on DT for lack of "real world testing" and speculating that frames will catastrophically fail in the first batch.............yet it took how long for the ****ty SGS/Sunday pivot issue to be resolved? Years? And to add to the time.......it was SOLD as a "super sweet gnar e13 linkage upgrade kit, dood!

Was that overlooked in the grueling real-world testing? :rofl:

Some people never fail to amaze me...........but it could be the alcohol talking....

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
yet it took how long for the ****ty SGS/Sunday pivot issue to be resolved? Years? And to add to the time.......it was SOLD as a "super sweet gnar e13 linkage upgrade kit, dood!
My '06 Sunday was solid out of the box, no upgrade required. Good work - you just perpetuated another exagerated story not unlike the one about Turner that you were attempting to dispel. :clapping:
Besides, Ska Todd was helping take care of people who had issues with their Sundays - you calling him out? :plthumbsdown:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My '06 Sunday was solid out of the box, no upgrade required. Good work - you just perpetuated another exagerated story not unlike the one about Turner that you were attempting to dispel. :clapping:
Besides, Ska Todd was helping take care of people who had issues with their Sundays - you calling him out? :plthumbsdown:
Todd is one of the reasons Iron Horse did not sink. So no one is calling him out.

It's great you got an 06 that worked fine. Plenty of the previous years as in first and second year release I saw on a regular basis usually had their owners pounding on bolts in the parking lot while the rest of us were riding. I watched a buddy of mine spend an entire day at whistler trying to get a bent shock mount bolt out while I rode.

They eventually got them dialed but it sure as hell wasn't the first year release. Which is what we're talking about here. Your bike worked but many other's didn't. It's far from an exaggerated story. But I'm glad you got one that worked smoothly. Not everyone did.

I'm not trying to bash on IH, but since that was one company that was brought up for comparison on first year releases, it's relevant.

Even if turner does fvck something up, you'll get a call similar to what jeremy mentioned or at the very least get a no questions asked replacement. Besides, based on the 05 dhrs, turner gets fabrication issues their SECOND year, not first. :D

Last edited:

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Jeez...

EDIT: The new rig looks awesome! I'm oldskool, so a flat black front triangle with a polished rear swing arm would look pretty sweet...
According tothe 09 wesite ya got ya wish as one of the standard colors semi gloss black and polished rear triangle looks hawt my fav too although I'm always ton when I see a green DHR:cheers:

This is only a pre pre proto like Woo said be lots of testing to make sure it can atleast ake what the 08 model could dish out the Geo looks dialled for 09 and DT never lets ya down with execution, plus with the amount of info the too Ds have worked o its gotta be good, stil nothing like real world testing!

Another nice thing about that design is shock compatibility should be no issue from what I can see, though the rear end is very close to te tire not sure what size tire that is maybe a 2.5/2.7 maybe no room for a mini guard?:clue:

Anway's congats DT if she rides as good as her lines look it will be killer!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A lighter Sunday
I think that's just another exaggeration to add to the many already in this thread... I'd wait for someone to actually measure up the bike before I went that far. Just from the pic, to me the HA looks steeper and the BB looks higher - but like I said, wait until someone measures it.

For interests sake, my sunday was 64.9* and 13.65" respectively (boxxer/2.5 minions).

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
I think that's just another exaggeration to add to the many already in this thread... I'd wait for someone to actually measure up the bike before I went that far. Just from the pic, to me the HA looks steeper and the BB looks higher - but like I said, wait until someone measures it.

For interests sake, my sunday was 64.9* and 13.65" respectively (boxxer/2.5 minions).
Udi I know its early days and DT could change stuff before production run, but speccs are up on the new website!

http://www.turnerbikes.com/09dhr.html

HA 64.5
CS 17.4
BB 14" lower than the 08

Based on geo with a fork of 570mm x 26x2.5" tires!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Once you take a measuring tape and angle finder to a few bikes you realise how worthless the claims are... I don't think any particular brands are guilty, I've just never measured a bike that matched all the claims (most previous turners included). Blame differences in setup, measuring equipment, or whatever... but yeah, wait till someone puts ruler to bike. :)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It doesn't look that fast at all to me.

There's no chain.

On second thoughts, I can go faster on certain track going chainless. Is this what Turner had in mind? If so, I applaud your bravery and forward thinking for this new approach!

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
No chain makes it lighter there fore lighter is faster :biggrin:

Ahh When DT first posted it that they were just bulding it up within an hour or so that bike was complete except chain they even did a shock swap out as in haste the wrong one was initally put there a highline i2i so thats how busy they are, chains not critical if not being ridden and only for show at ibike, probably done so people can't ride off on it to test as it would be very tempting!:biggrin: