Quantcast

Prototype Specialized DH Bike

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Brad B. is testing a new bike in Whistler - not a big deal
It's a HUGE deal!! RM needs axle paths to speculate about..and then there is the chainstays, weight, materials etc.
This thing needs to be fully e-tested, critiqued, and have judgement passed before it hits the market!! What the hell is wrong with you?!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm sure the guys who allowed a rider out with his name emblazoned across his back on one of the busiest days of the year at the busiest mountain bike park on a weekend with a bike with no sort of camouflage on it are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally pissed that somebody took a photo of it and now we're talking about it.
Exactly. How hard would it have been to paint it red and put Intense stickers on it, or blue and make up a fake company, give the test riders some off-the-shelf jerseys, and ask them to wear their helmets as much as possible?

Could have gone incognito, even at Whistler. Testing in Whistler right now makes sense, all their riders and tech guys are there, and it's a primo mountain, perfect testing location. But they clearly weren't trying very hard to hide it.

I can't wait to see what type of proprietary components they stick on this thing so you can only buy Specialed parts. Maybe a 675b wheel? 87mm BB? 1.375" steer tube? The possibilities are endless!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, most of you are probably right. Never take anything at face value. There is always a conspiracy or other nefarious intent behind bike testing at Whistler.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's a HUGE deal!! RM needs axle paths to speculate about..and then there is the chainstays, weight, materials etc.
This thing needs to be fully e-tested, critiqued, and have judgement passed before it hits the market!! What the hell is wrong with you?!
I love that even ridemonkey has its own hipsters who have to be all meta and be the critics of the people who criticize bikes. Let's not talk on the forum, just ride, even when you can't.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
we are talking, the hype machine is working.

I highly doubt this is the 1st location the 'demotus' has been ridden, they should test moar of these bikes in Euro bike parks as the riding seems to parallel that of North American riding destinations. (like Ben Walker 'Scott developer' testing Champery Morgins etc in Switzerland)

Can anyone tell me if I go through a legit Spesh dealer with my frame no. can I order a Ohlins shock for my '11 frame (compatible??) and how many dollars/euros/rupees I would expect to pay for one. before I buy a 2nd hand CCDB

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
specialized is trying a mule out on trails that are world famous for offering up a variety of terrain and difficulty? who the fvck do they think they are.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
why does RM say the demo has two chainstays? it's clearly two seatstays.

new rule - if you can't name the part of the bike correctly you can't make fun of it...

also while you guys are busy making fun of 'stays and building hype, the rest of the internet is passing you by :

"I was chatting to one of the guys in my LBS who was invited to the 2014 Specialized product launch. Apparently, the reason that the sub-seatstays have been deleted is to allow room for fitment of an F1 style KERRs(sp) boost system that is being developed. Might just be a rumour but it came from one of the top USA bods that Specialized UK flew in for the launch."
edit for bdamschen : wink, winky, winkler, winkly, whatever.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

new rule - if you can't name the part of the bike correctly you can't make fun of it...

also while you guys are busy making fun of 'stays and building hype, the rest of the internet is passing you by :
I know your job is less fun than my job because while I have time to sit around and make silly jokes on the internet about specialized's latest test mule that won't look anything like the production bike when it finally comes out, you have even more time to proof read my joke and offer criticism.

I'm going to take this one order of retardation higher and ask you- does it count as a seat stay if it never touches the seat post?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

part of making fun of it is referring to it incorrectly

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I know your job is less fun than my job because while I have time to sit around and make silly jokes on the internet about specialized's latest test mule that won't look anything like the production bike when it finally comes out, you have even more time to proof read my joke and offer criticism.

I'm going to take this one order of retardation higher and ask you- does it count as a seat stay if it never touches the seat post?
i know your job is more serious than my job when i have time to sit around and make silly jokes on the internet about the words used to describe specialized's shock and wheel rate bars based on many posts in this forum over the years. which segues into...where did i quote you or say anything about your post being what inspired me to post what i did? the fact that i didn't should be obvious that it was a general statement, hence the use of RM and not bdamschen.

there is enough retardation around here, let's not get crazy...

and man you guys are seriously serious about being serious. here's a(nother) winky for you ;)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
E spec: that super low chain stay pivot may provide hella anti squatzors.

My main concern would be unimproved square edginess, but meh.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
did gwin have inputs on this one?
New suspension layout (actually it is old, similar to azonic extension),
Big S drop the swingarm driven shock, with extra seat stays because he can't win the demo in the world cups?
what if he still can't win on this one? will Big S fire him?

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
i know your job is more serious than my job when i have time to sit around and make silly jokes on the internet about the words used to describe specialized's shock and wheel rate bars based on many posts in this forum over the years. which segues into...where did i quote you or say anything about your post being what inspired me to post what i did? the fact that i didn't should be obvious that it was a general statement, hence the use of RM and not bdamschen.

there is enough retardation around here, let's not get crazy...

and man you guys are seriously serious about being serious. here's a(nother) winky for you ;)
You're avoiding the question. seatstays! Not! Connected! To! Seatpost! I want the truth!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Quick/serious question: Would there be a benefit if FSR is coupled with a floating shock layout? Just wondering...
benefit as in how? a floating shock has neat packaging benefits, but it doesn't really help or hurt.

mapping this thing out in linkage is kind of cool. No real surprises, but the axle path should be similar to the demo albeit a bit more vertical, and the leverage rate should be pretty progressive. The bonus is that without 11teen chainstays, it'll be lighter. The concentric pivot is negated by the larger parallelogram, if that makes any sense.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
. Maybe a 675b wheel? 87mm BB? 1.375" steer tube? The possibilities are endless!
Most definitely 650b, saw it again today, high roller II, big wheels and fugly ;-) Looks like a wannabe Demo with a different swingarm design to accomodate for the wheel size...Boring bike to look at in its current state.With JaredGraves proving last weekend that 26" are just as fast even for enduro racing, I see no reason for a manufacturer other than boosting their sales to increase wheel size on a DH bike...and I hate that :mad:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Great. Specialized stuck a Sinister R9 and a Rotec in a room, got them drunk and played Marvin Gaye tunes until they shat that thing out.

PROGRESSION!!!!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Great. Specialized stuck a Sinister R9 and a Rotec in a room, got them drunk and played Marvin Gaye tunes until they shat that thing out.

PROGRESSION!!!!
Major LOLLLLL

Coincidentally, 2 of my favorite old school bikes. My trusty old R9 frame with the horse-shoe welded to the swingarm for stiffness is still in the other room.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It's funny how many of you assume Specialized is happy to see these pictures floating around. I'm not so sure about that.
They'd be stupid to not expect these pics to show up on the internet and start a discussion. If they wanted a secluded test spot there are many, even many nearby. They picked the highest profile place to put this bike and couldn't possibly expect any other outcome. It does seem like an odd marketing ploy though (showing a new prototype doesn't help sales of the current model) so either it's a stupid failed marketing attempt or a stupid attempt at low profile testing. So Specialized is either stupid or stupid.

Or it's just what they said, a mule to test wheel sizes. Still odd to put it in the highest profile place imaginable.

Last edited:

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
they are smart.. free marketing on RM 8 pages long already..

always nice to see new bikes tho..