Quantcast

Prototype Specialized DH Bike

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Wow good job Specialized, make a bad frame even worse. Good luck pedalling without massive amounts of LSC.
Correct me if I am wrong, but combined with the FSR layout they have, it won't be too bad. I am more interested in the what looks to me overly progressive leverage ratio of that system...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the saddest thing about this bike:

the stealth paint job on the proto is worlds better than whatever abomination of a color scheme will make it to market

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
they are smart.. free marketing on RM 8 pages long already..
I cannot understand most people don't get this. Like $ would all be like "hey let's take out our top secret test-mule out to crankworkx and instruct the rider to avoid getting photographed".

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Correct me if I am wrong, but combined with the FSR layout they have, it won't be too bad. I am more interested in the what looks to me overly progressive leverage ratio of that system...
Spesh bikes never pedalled good anyway.

@Jon - you're not a fan of Ronald McDonald? I thought they were trying to get him on their team for years but with Gwin not Gwinning anymore they may have the cash to finally afford him. The new suspension setup is probably created to have an M shaped wheelpath to suit his demands.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@Jon - you're not a fan of Ronald McDonald? I thought they were trying to get him on their team for years but with Gwin not Gwinning anymore they may have the cash to finally afford him. The new suspension setup is probably created to have an M shaped wheelpath to suit his demands.
I like colorful bikes. I just knew my comment would get a rise out of some people on here :banana:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think Gwinn switched sizes just to get away from that godawful TLD paint job

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So Specialized is either stupid or stupid.

Or it's just what they said, a mule to test wheel sizes. Still odd to put it in the highest profile place imaginable.
No argument there. Just sayin' it might be nothing more than a questionable call by Benedict to ride it there that day as opposed to some intentional stealth marketing strategy.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
No argument there. Just sayin' it might be nothing more than a questionable call by Benedict to ride it there that day as opposed to some intentional stealth marketing strategy.
Based on his hair style, that guy's no stranger to bad decisions

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It does seem like an odd marketing ploy though (showing a new prototype doesn't help sales of the current model) so either it's a stupid failed marketing attempt or a stupid attempt at low profile testing. So Specialized is either stupid or stupid.
im sure the 2014 Demos will still sell out just as fast as they have in the past. these companies seem to err on the side of caution when it comes to forecasting DH sales (for obvious reasons.)

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Exactly. How hard would it have been to paint it red and put Intense stickers on it, or blue and make up a fake company, give the test riders some off-the-shelf jerseys, and ask them to wear their helmets as much as possible?

Could have gone incognito, even at Whistler. Testing in Whistler right now makes sense, all their riders and tech guys are there, and it's a primo mountain, perfect testing location. But they clearly weren't trying very hard to hide it.

I can't wait to see what type of proprietary components they stick on this thing so you can only buy Specialed parts. ... 1.375" steer tube? The possibilities are endless!
Oh, come on - they're not Giant or Cannondale. ;)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
He's been riding the thing pretty much every day out here not just the one time.To top it off he's been with the spesh crew all the time so no way this is questionable call from him... Definitely out there on purpose, dont know wether is too show the world they are testing with bigger wheels or to look like they are building a "better" bike to help Aaron get back on the top but they're not trying to hide the bike at all..

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Considering they were kind of the first major race team to go to smaller cassette and smaller chainring for clearance etc, it might not be a super far fetched strech that they might do a gearbox (proprietary of course). And Specialized is big enough to say screw you shimano and sram or do you want to make some super expensive exclusive proprietary stuff for us?

But in all fairness I suspect we wont be seeing anything remote to this bike or a gear box on the shop floors ever.

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
Use this picture as a reference. I'm not trying to be an ass and I'd love to take a spin on it simply because it is a bike and bikes are fun.

http://cdn2.coresites.mpora.com/dirt_new/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MG_0046.jpg

Draw a straight line along the chainstay between the Dropout pivot and the BB and extend that line straight towards the front wheel and out the back a long way.

Then do the same with the seatstay pivot and the pivot directly above the BB.

Where do the two straight lines converge? Anywhere remotely near the top of the chainring?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Use this picture as a reference. I'm not trying to be an ass and I'd love to take a spin on it simply because it is a bike and bikes are fun.

http://cdn2.coresites.mpora.com/dirt_new/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MG_0046.jpg

Draw a straight line along the chainstay between the Dropout pivot and the BB and extend that line straight towards the front wheel and out the back a long way.

Then do the same with the seatstay pivot and the pivot directly above the BB.

Where do the two straight lines converge? Anywhere remotely near the top of the chainring?
Using the instant center of a linkage as it rotates is at best a "loose" approximation of tension-induced linkage movement. In reality, it has no bearing on the force being applied at anything except one of the pivot points of the linkage.

It takes no account for the location of the rear axle, and the placement of the top of the cassette (where the upper chainlines meets it).

An instant center is a point in space in which you could stand and the two links would not look like they are moving with respect to one another (moving as one unit) - at that point in the rotation only.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ok, since this is apparently a 650B rig, anyone want to take a $10 bet that this is testing on a rig for worlds? That some of the team will be on 650B and that this is a suspension design to work with that wheel size?

/derp

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Nope, it's obvious from that top picture it's a 650b or 29er rear and 26 front. Don't forget that Specialized brainstormed the BigHIt with the 24 rear. That bike was for hucking to flat; this is a race bike so you have to do the opposite.