Quantcast

ps4 vs xbox1

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ps4 already has 2 big check marks over the y-box. non-draconian used games policy, and price.

also looks like sony learned its lesson from the pricing debacle at the ps3 launch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
another ditty i just found out...

in order to use netflix on the xbox, you have to have a an xbox live membership. ie you have to pay for a service to use another service you're already paying for.

sony is requiring a PS+ paid membership for online multiplayer, but at least they have the sense to not mandate it to use netflix; ie you can use netflix without a ps+ membership.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've been an xbox fan boy for years, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut the cord on this one. Screw Microsoft and their stupid all-seeing-eye, Orwell in a box "game" console.

I'll miss Halo, but sacrifices have to be made. It's been a pleasure to serve with you Chief.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah but your xbox wont work if you duct tape it. The whole OS requires Kinects face/voice recognition so theres no way around it.
From what Ive read you cant even select a user account manually. Kinect just recognises your face and chooses it for you.
also - the whole having to phone home to the mothership every 24 hours to continue playing is just CREEPY
Ftfy.

I'll switch back to Verizon if I want someone monitoring me all the time.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah but your xbox wont work if you duct tape it. The whole OS requires Kinects face/voice recognition so theres no way around it.
From what Ive read you cant even select a user account manually. Kinect just recognises your face and chooses it for you.
oh wow. i hadn't even read about that. is kinect now elephamt man compatible?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also... you omitted at least another $100 of crucial parts. no keyboard or mouse. no thermal compound for your cpu. no fans. no blu-ray drive (which both ps4 and xbox1 have).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

yeah you can pick up a keyboard and mouse for like $15. And a drive for $50 or less, if you should decide that downloading games is an ineffective manner of downloading games. Thermal compound is included on the CPU with the heatsink, and fans are usually included with the case, cpu, and vidya card.

But the xbox can play TV on your TV, and SPORTS.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FTFY. Plus you can play against 13 yr olds saying they slept with your mom, so there's that.
most of the games i play don't have multiplayer online.

point is, the console vs pc argument is pointless. sure, you can build a pc that can run circles around a console. but it comes with a much higher price tag.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Xbox will still sell though because parents will just buy it for their kids and still not have a clue what they are buying or obligating themselves to for little Jimmy's Xmas present.

Ugh. I think I'm just going to hold out with my Xbox for as long as I can and then who knows. PS seems like a winner at this point. This whole 'we are going to limit everything unless you pay us' is bull****. I don't mind paying for fair use, but buying a disc and having to 'check in' if you're not online is crap. Poor bastards with dial up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Xbox will still sell though because parents will just buy it for their kids and still not have a clue what they are buying or obligating themselves to for little Jimmy's Xmas present.

Ugh. I think I'm just going to hold out with my Xbox for as long as I can and then who knows. PS seems like a winner at this point. This whole 'we are going to limit everything unless you pay us' is bull****. I don't mind paying for fair use, but buying a disc and having to 'check in' if you're not online is crap. Poor bastards with dial up.
oh man. the dialup sound just started playing over a picture of the xbox in my mind. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this. also sorta holds true for the 360.

also:

This whole 'we are going to limit everything unless you pay us' is bull****. I don't mind paying for fair use, but buying a disc and having to 'check in' if you're not online is crap.

at this point isn't the gaming division at microsoft the most profitable? no wondering they're trying to milk it for all its worth.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Personally, I don't need a bunch of crap on my game console. I have it to play games.
my ps3 actually gets used more for movie watching (bluray, netflix) than it does for gaming. not by much though. the bluray is actually why i chose the ps3 over the xbox360.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
this. also sorta holds true for the 360.

also:

at this point isn't the gaming division at microsoft the most profitable? no wondering they're trying to milk it for all its worth.
Yea, it definitely holds true for 360. I don't think these parents know half of what they buy. How many parents will read a damn thing about XBox1? My bet is they buy it, then go to set it up, then find out that all the strings are attached.

I don't doubt that the gaming division is their top dog. I just don't see how it's fair if someone just wants to buy a console and buy a game and play it. Yes, a metric **** ton of people play online and multiplayer and all kinds of other crap. But, if you did just want to buy a console and play RPG games all day by yourself in your parent's basement, shouldn't you be able to? Especially if you paid for the console and the game? I just thing the whole strings attached to everything is shady as hell.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
my ps3 actually gets used more for movie watching (bluray, netflix) than it does for gaming. not by much though. the bluray is actually why i chose the ps3 over the xbox360.
I have both (XBox and PS3) and that's all my PS3 gets used for. Since games are in the same 'format', movies kind of fall under the same 'use' for me as a game. You put in a disc and go. I was more referring to the superfluous stuff that is on there. There are many times I look at the home screens and think to myself 'who uses any of this stupid crap'?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ive read the exact opposite.
MSs gaming department has lost boatloads of money since the original XBOX and appearently this is their last attempt at a console. (I dont think there will be any consoles after this Gen anyway to be fair)

I also think if parents are gonna go to a store and see the PS4 for 400$, and an XBOXONE for 500$ they will say FU kid, youre getting a PS4 for Xmas.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ive read the exact opposite.
MSs gaming department has lost boatloads of money since the original XBOX and appearently this is their last attempt at a console. (I dont think there will be any consoles after this Gen anyway to be fair)

I also think if parents are gonna go to a store and see the PS4 for 400$, and an XBOXONE for 500$ they will say FU kid, youre getting a PS4 for Xmas.
I forgot about the >30% failure rate for the 360 :rofl: