Quantcast

PSA - 2015 36 Floats for $499 USD

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I have the 29er version of that bike, it's so goddamn unrideable I can't even load it in the truck without crashing.

But in all honesty, don't tell anybody on Ridemonkey, the 29er rails, and it acceptably stiff with a 36 up front. Would love to try the 27.5.

Which RS shock is that and how do you like it? The Fox POS on mine is my only complaint aside from the stupid Enve "stiffer than a frozen rock" bars.
Go for the new float X evol?

This sick is the monarch rt3 debonair. I like it so far (I think).. I just lowered the pressure a few psi from initial ride, so I'm around 32/33% sag now. Today's ride felt pretty good a little more plush but not as poppy. I might try like 5psi more. I'm still about a 1/4" away from using full travel but I didn't case anything real hard or do any large drops so that might be perfect. This bike climbs great with the shock in open. Tons of traction. No real need to switch it while climbing on the trails.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Go for the new float X evol?

This sick is the monarch rt3 debonair. I like it so far (I think).. I just lowered the pressure a few psi from initial ride, so I'm around 32/33% sag now. Today's ride felt pretty good a little more plush but not as poppy. I might try like 5psi more. I'm still about a 1/4" away from using full travel but I didn't case anything real hard or do any large drops so that might be perfect. This bike climbs great with the shock in open. Tons of traction. No real need to switch it while climbing on the trails.

The Evol looks promising, but based on my recent fox experience, I'm not excited to be an early adopter. The 36 has been great, but almost everything else as of late has been shit.

Sounds like the monarch may be ramping a bit as it moves through the travel, so the opposite of the fox I have now. Damping is great off the top, but as it gets toward the last 1/4" or so of stroke all the damping just disappears.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fork, axle and crown race came today.

Wow, they sure didn't spare any expenses packing it. I did get a brake hose guide. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got the fork on the bike buttttt...my front brake adapter is a no go.

I have 200mm rotors with Avid brakes and with my current post mount adapter, the pads barely make contact with the rotor.

Anybody tell me if I'm dumb or just need a new adapter?

I fuggin' hate needing little parts like this.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Fox went to a 180mm post mount on that fork. Instead of the typical 160mm mount.
So you need a 180-203mm post to post adapter. Shimano makes one.

I realized this too.. I ended up just putting a older 180mm rotor I had on it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

I have 200mm rotors with Avid brakes and with my current post mount adapter, the pads barely make contact with the rotor.

Sounds like you're going to need to grind down those brake bosses on the fork lowers.
PM @kidwoo ... he can help.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Could you snap us some pics of the new rebound assemblies? I've been super keen to see these. Is the post diameter different / is the new piston not retrofittable? I'm guessing HSR flow area is increased, curious by how much.
Here is the dwg of the new rebound valving for the 2016 36/40 RC2

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Aw man!

We coulda been a TEAM!!

I realized this too.. I ended up just putting a older 180mm rotor I had on it.

See? When given the option..........

I live in a lonely lonely dark world........full of nothing but 200mm options. So cold......... so many stoppies......

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
First ride on this thing tonight. I'm impressed.

I put about 90psi in the fork and set compression to whatever was on Fox's website. I think 12-13 clicks of low speed and 18 of high speed? I didn't even touch the rebound and left it at wherever it was, from when my friend was screwing with the knobs yesterday.

From a static point of view, this 27.5 fork feels no different than the 26" fork that it replaced. My old fork now feels like complete garbage. I knew something was up with it, as it felt like it was compressing and topping out harshly every once in a while. That and there was basically no low speed damping.

This thing feels light years more smooth and so much more stiff. At first I was actually hesitant to really lean it over and toss it into the corners because it felt so stiff (wasn't sure if it was too much air pressure or low speed). But man, after the first few corners it felt golden. I tossed it at every root I could find, just to be sure.

But god damn, trying to get my brake mounted correctly with the Shimano adapter that I found at a local shop almost made me want to Kidwoo it and throw on my old 180mm rotor. Trying to mount these Avid brakes with only half of their stupid washers is STUPID.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
finally got around to submitting a RA request for my increasingly loud csu on my 36 float 170. fingers crossed...
Mine is also becoming increasingly responsible for four-letter fits while riding. Let us know how the process goes. You did this on your own, e.g. not through a shop?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
whatever it is, that shit now squeaks louder than the beds at a vegas whorehouse. yep, gonna try to send it in on my own. supposed to get a reply to my request within 24 hours...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I've had mine now for a couple months and its been absolutely baller and free of creaky whore beds. I've long poo-poo'ed its alleged advantage(s) over the Pike, but so far its proven me wrong (and I still like the Pike btw). It's not night and day IMO, but it is basically more composed in every performance aspect (but still not as good as my coil Boxxer Team :) )

I rode a DVO Diamond this weekend for a couple miles, and well, I was super glad to give that bike back to the owner. My main issue with said bike was poor shock performance/set up, but the fork felt harsh towards the end of the stroke and just didn't seem to track as well as my 36. The DVO could also be a victim of a poor set up, and I would like to try one out for an extended period of time with my preferred settings. Or maybe the magic space bushings in the Diamond makes it a little harsh? :panic:

I should also mention I have my 36 set up at 150 mm to get the A2C in line with a 160 mm 26" fork, and I haven't been able to detect any steering changes with the slight difference in offset.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I rode a DVO Diamond this weekend for a couple miles, and well, I was super glad to give that bike back to the owner. My main issue with said bike was poor shock performance/set up, but the fork felt harsh towards the end of the stroke and just didn't seem to track as well as my 36. The DVO could also be a victim of a poor set up
i'm inclined to say poor setup is to blame.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
received RA info yesterday. asked for confirmation that creaking csu was covered under warranty. reply: "Thank you. Yes, creaking is covered 18 months after date of purchase."

Will send off on Friday and see what happens . . .

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
received RA info yesterday. asked for confirmation that creaking csu was covered under warranty. reply: "Thank you. Yes, creaking is covered 18 months after date of purchase."

Will send off on Friday and see what happens . . .
Dear Valued Customer (and fucking VPP rider btw),

We appreciate your patience in this matter, and we hope the replacement product will eliminate the CSU creaking issue.

Warmest regards,
Your friends at Fox

:thumb: