Quantcast

PSA - 2015 36 Floats for $499 USD

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Mine showed up today. It is def and OE model, it came with nothing but the fork (15mm axle) and the small piece that screws in and holds the brake line. No 20mm axle or spacers.

I haven't had time to pull the spring side apart and see if any spacers are in there, or what setting the fork is at (to confirm it's a 160mm model.)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Mine showed up today. It is def and OE model, it came with nothing but the fork (15mm axle) and the small piece that screws in and holds the brake line. No 20mm axle or spacers.

I haven't had time to pull the spring side apart and see if any spacers are in there, or what setting the fork is at (to confirm it's a 160mm model.)
Can it take the 20mm axel or is that the FiT4 only that doesn't take the 20mm?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Assuming there are some left, I think I'm going to pick one up. Just need to wait for my buddy in Detroit to respond, to see if I can ship it to his house and then ship it up here or have him drive up.

Even with paying out the nose converting these Canadia dollars to American dollars, plus shipping, duty fees at the border AND picking up an axle, I think it'll be $400 less than a new 2016 fork (not including paying 13% tax on a new fork).

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
god dammit you people are killing me.. i might cave and start a new build if these are available after pay day (id be surprised if they were).

thanks OP. :)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This begs the question, what's new enough about the '16 to close these out like this? Decal upgrade? Boost? I'm tempted and I have no use for this hahaha

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This begs the question, what's new enough about the '16 to close these out like this? Decal upgrade? Boost? I'm tempted and I have no use for this hahaha
might be as simple as inventory space/overhead. but then again back country dot com has a LOT of crap in inventory.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'll add that I've been on one of these since the spring, and they're simply the best single crown fork I've ever ridden. I've owned a current gen Pike and Mattoc, but have no time on a DVO.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Assuming there are some left, I think I'm going to pick one up. Just need to wait for my buddy in Detroit to respond, to see if I can ship it to his house and then ship it up here or have him drive up.

Even with paying out the nose converting these Canadia dollars to American dollars, plus shipping, duty fees at the border AND picking up an axle, I think it'll be $400 less than a new 2016 fork (not including paying 13% tax on a new fork).
I live an hour from Port Huron/Sarnia if you need a place to ship it.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If anyone has a 160mm travel 26" wheeled 36 that they want to convert to 650b, I'm serious about considering a lower swap. Must be black, preferably the newer 2015/16 lowers but I'll consider offers for older.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Got mine today. The brake hose holder is missing, oh well.
Immediately took it apart and changed the travel to 160, boy o boy the negative spring spacer sleeve was tight.
For the record the air spring that is installed can only go to 160mm max. As to whether the damper can do more travel , I have no idea. There is about 7" of damper shaft exposed beyond the stanchion not including the threaded assembly at the end.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I stand corrected.
My understanding is that this change happened during the 15 model year. Late season 15s are the same as 16s.
Don't know for sure though.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Mine showed up today with the hose clamp present! Boom bitches!

It was floating around in the box, getting ready to fall out of the hole in the box that the steer tube created though...

but hey 500 bucks. I'm happy as a clam. Gotta get it apart and set it to 160 enduro mode!

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Story of my mtb life.
Man that is no joke! Now I'm selling a Frckn perfectly good pike!

But I figured if the pike was due for a service any time soon, then I might as well get a new fork for what that service probably would have cost.

Plus moar fatter Stanchions!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Yes, around October 2014 the compression valving was modified substantially, and for 2016 Fox changed the rebound valving (piston post, piston design and shimstack). I wasn't aware of the rebound changes until recently when I opened a 2016 RC2 damper.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
for 2016 Fox changed the rebound valving (piston post, piston design and shimstack). I wasn't aware of the rebound changes until recently when I opened a 2016 RC2 damper.
Could you snap us some pics of the new rebound assemblies? I've been super keen to see these. Is the post diameter different / is the new piston not retrofittable? I'm guessing HSR flow area is increased, curious by how much.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oooh oooh, what he said^

Imma bout to rip the damper out of my 2016 36 and try to stretch it into my 40 :rofl:
What's the plan there? Custom top cap adapter for the larger stanchion, and some kind of extended damper shaft? Also, do you really think there's going to be 200mm of stroke in the damper cartridge?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Um no.

No chance in hell.

I do know my 36 rides betterer than my 40 ever did though, with either damper. I was just having a fantasy.
I was going to say...

Have you ridden a 2015/16 40? I haven't, but now I want to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I rode a float version for a day in whistler. The air spring was so annoying I couldn't really get a good feel for the damper. It wasn't my fork, it was on a demo v10 but I'm guessing(hoping) that it was stuffed with spacers. It ramped up waay too much. I had the HS comp damper backed all the way off and about a third of the way in with the LS damper. But it was definitely an air fork setup not the way I would do it.