Quantcast

PSA - 2015 36 Floats for $499 USD

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah I rode a float version for a day in whistler. The air spring was so annoying I couldn't really get a good feel for the damper. It wasn't my fork, it was on a demo v10 but I'm guessing(hoping) that it was stuffed with spacers. It ramped up waay too much. I had the HS comp damper backed all the way off and about a third of the way in with the LS damper. But it was definitely an air fork setup not the way I would do it.
The 2014 40 Float that I rode on a rental 951 sucked balls too. Actually, everything about that bike sucked, except the Bontrager tires. Those were cool.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wtf. There was a softball sized hole on the top of the box and the fork was flopping in and out of the box. No brake guide. Not a single piece of packing material to be found. I got a goat sticker though so i got that going for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
40 Float: terrible small bump sensitivity, way too progressive.
951: VPP, unrideable. Hilariously terrible leverage curve. Creakier than your mom's bed.

Bontrager G5 tires: great

my comment was more to the effect that products from Bontrager (OEM) are better than fox and intense. crazy times we live in.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Wtf. There was a softball sized hole on the top of the box and the fork was flopping in and out of the box. No brake guide. Not a single piece of packing material to be found. I got a goat sticker though so i got that going for me.
Exactly the same here. They've gone downhill, they used to be one of the best online bike retailers in the US in my opinion.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dunno. Mine had one. It wasn't attached to the fork, but in a little baggie in the plastic bag that the fork was wrapped in.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fork has been ordered, along with a new axle and a new crown race from Jenson.

All being shipped for free to my buddy in Detroit, where it will all probably get stolen from his house. If its not stolen, he'll ship it up to me. I'm hoping shipping and the duties at the border aren't too much.

But still, I will be getting this thing for under $1000 vs $1400 + 13% tax for a new 2016.

STOKED. Not stoked about the green stickers though.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Fork has been ordered, along with a new axle and a new crown race from Jenson.

All being shipped for free to my buddy in Detroit, where it will all probably get stolen from his house. If its not stolen, he'll ship it up to me. I'm hoping shipping and the duties at the border aren't too much.

But still, I will be getting this thing for under $1000 vs $1400 + 13% tax for a new 2016.

STOKED. Not stoked about the green stickers though.
Jenson's shipping to Canada kicks ass. Free over $150, and you won't get nailed with brokerage/duty, etc... My last order from Chainreaction got nailed an most of my savings on the order got eaten up in duty, etc...

Looks like they're promising Nov 6th delivery for orders placed today...

Easier than Detroit shenanigans, non?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
What's with the free floating axle thing?? No preload on axle? So my wheel is just supposed to wobble around in between the legs?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
im doing it just like this video shows. tighten the axle into the riders left/fork leg. Tighten riders left. Then move fork through its travel. then tighten riders right fork leg. But theres still a very slight little play in between the hub and the fork legs because the axle doesnt pull the legs togher. Its free float alright..
http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=574

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Hmm...I have 2 of them and neither have any sort of floating issue. I don't do the "cycle your fork" thing either.

- Put wheel in dropout
- Install and tighten axle
- Tighten axle clamp bolts
- Ride

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Oh... so I guess my hubs (Chris king) preload coller needed a little tightening..

And I guess the shoulder on the axle does preload the hub...

but it only loads it against the brake side. The right side leg does free float on the axle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You guys having the axle float issue with the 15mm axle? I've only run either of mine with a 20mm and they're fine. I can try the 15 tonight.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm running one of each, haven't noticed a problem with either but I'll double check tonight. I'm also running cheap front hubs - a DMR on one and a Nukeproof on the other. Nothing fancy to preload.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
but it only loads it against the brake side. The right side leg does free float on the axle.
You've just discovered one of the coolest features on Fox forks, it dates back to 2005. The hub is clamped against only one side of the fork while the axle can float axially in the non-threaded leg (during the preload phase) so that the hub is preloaded but the legs are not clamped together. This means leg parallelism is maintained and isn't affected by hub width tolerances when you tighten the axle. Once preloaded you clamp the pinchbolts and the axle can no longer float, so stiffness is completely unaffected. If there's play, it's from your hub as you've discovered.

On any fork without this feature, unless you have a hub width that matches perfectly with the width between the dropouts (once clamped), you end up with lower legs that are not parallel and the resultant small increase in stiction and wear. Not a huge deal but a cool feature to have.

Enjoy. :)