Quantcast

PSA - 2015 36 Floats for $499 USD

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Cannot remember if this was mentioned here or not (I know it was in the mtbr thread), and I'm not reading this whole thread again.

But I can confirm that these forks are early 2015's that the very first valving, if anyone's concerned.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I think they were saying it was the "pro" valveing which was stiffer. That is probably good for my fatass!

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Yup, it is. I had one of the very first ones last summer with this tune.
How did it feel? How much do you weigh?
It's going to be a few days till I can ride mine. I just bought a used tracer 275c frame that ended up needing new bearings put in.

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
It felt fine, but I'm also about 200 or so geared up. But I did find I had to open up the compression settings a click or two from the Fox suggested starting points. (Where as with the newer normal tune, the stock settings were fairly bang on for me.)

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
I'll have to look up what the 2015 suggested starting points are, I think I have them out in my garage. The 2016 one they have up now doesn't look like the numbers are that familiar.

But I will say with that tune, you won't run anything close to the PSI that Fox suggests.

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
No prob, glad to help.

Like I said, I was about 205 or so, and IIRC ran about 65 psi to get me around 25% sag. LSC I pretty much left alone, HSC I think I completely opened up, and I might have adjusted rebound two clicks. One blue spacer installed too.

I didn't ever use an orange spacer until I got the 170 on my Nomad.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
No prob, glad to help.

Like I said, I was about 205 or so, and IIRC ran about 65 psi to get me around 25% sag. LSC I pretty much left alone, HSC I think I completely opened up, and I might have adjusted rebound two clicks. One blue spacer installed too.

I didn't ever use an orange spacer until I got the 170 on my Nomad.
This makes me feel better. I am 190 geared up, running 60psi, 4 clicks (from open) on HSC, and still leave 3/4" on the tubes after a good rocky chunder ride.

I don't think I have any spacers installed (OE fork). Is that a dumb assumption? Did Fox ship the OE models with spacers installed?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Both of mine (one aftermarket, one OE) came with one blue spacer.

I'm running 56psi, 9 clicks in on HSC, 11 LSC, and one blue and one orange spacer. I'm about 155lbs nekkid.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I pulled the air spring out the other day to take out the travel reducing spacer. It had one blue spacer installed.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Have to check my specific comp and rebound settings, but I'm ~185 lbs of beer storage volume, and I'm running 72 psi (per the Foxy website). Seems about right, but only have a couple rides in so far. Also may have a wonky pressure gage on my pump.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I think I've finally concluded that the increasingly annoying creaking on my bike is the csu on my 2015 float 36. Anyone have good experience/advice for dealing with Fox to get this addressed? I bought it new in February - should still be under warranty . . .

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think I've finally concluded that the increasingly annoying creaking on my bike is the csu on my 2015 float 36. Anyone have good experience/advice for dealing with Fox to get this addressed? I bought it new in February - should still be under warranty . . .
They've been great the three times I've had to send mine in for creaky csu... Just do it now; I waited a month (2 weeks x2) when I sent mine early spring just because of the huge numbers of idiots like me who waited to the last minute.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
paging @Da Peach, Da Peach to the white courtesy phone.
Mm.

I went through 2 replacements, am currently on my third, which is now also creaking.

Pretty annoying, but I've decided to just ignore it. Paying for the privilege of being without a fork, shipping, remounting, etc... became more trouble than I was willing to deal with a 3rd time.

It works well, but it's definitely not the experience they are selling.

But THRILLING NEWS! I hear they've fixed the issue on the new ones, and I totally believe them. Because bikes.

RUX.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
dammit that creaking news sucks!! I sold a perfectly good pike to buy this fork!!

hindsight that was silly.. hell foresight that was silly!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Delivered On:
Tuesday, 10/27/2015 at 15:51
Left At:
Porch
So it looks like my fork was delivered and is now sitting on my friends PORCH in Detroit. :fie:

I didn't even know that they still left things like that. Do they? Up here you have to go to the store or post office if something couldn't be delivered.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So it looks like my fork was delivered and is now sitting on my friends PORCH in Detroit. :fie:

I didn't even know that they still left things like that. Do they? Up here you have to go to the store or post office if something couldn't be delivered.
Depends on how it's shipped. Pretty much everybody (FedEx, UPS, etc) give you the option of requiring a signature. Otherwise they'll just leave it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That stuff is all true, FWIW. Was driving downtown Detroit before and people were just blowing through red lights like it was nothing. But go outside of the city and everything is normal. Its odd.

The crowd outside of the arena after the Red Wings game was getting a little surly for my taste as well.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Regarding the creaking CSU, I went through a bunch of them on 36 Van 180's the past couple years. Always warranteed with a new one, always developed a new creak within a few months. I finally broke down and complained to a buddy who works there, who hooked me up with the guy who runs the service department. He told me that they had fixed this issue as of the 2015 CSU's, and had me send in my 3 36's for new 2015 CSU's. He said that since the fix they hadn't had any come back in with creaking (this was around Dec/Jan, so they hadn't been out for too long), and said "don't prove me wrong". Of course, I didn't believe him and figured they would be creaking again immediately, but I've beat the crap out of 2 of them all year, and I'll be goddamn, they are still silent! I honestly never thought this day would come.

Of course, now that I said that, they will start creaking tomorrow...

I have no explanation for why it was happening for jstuhlman, unless possibly it was fixed after some of those 2015 forks shipped?

Anyway, if you're having a creak, I would definitely send it in and get the CSU replaced under warranty. Based on my experience I'd say there's a good chance it will be fixed in the replacement unit (or waaaay better if nothing else).

YMMV and all that.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I'd guess mine, although bought this spring, was produced in '14...and yes, I've triflowed the crap out of it :D Will contact them and see what happens...

Woo-I though for a while it might be a sign my carbonz barz had been exposed to the sun for too long and might be about to explode. Switched back to my alu ones for a ride...no dice, creaking remained!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I haven't owned a new fox single crown fork in a while, but back in ye ole days you could just drop some triflow into the crown/stAUnkshun interfaces.
i mentioned that we did that once to a XF velvet fork on this forum earlier this year, and boy o boy did the pitchforks come out.

so, now its back to being acceptable again cause woo says so?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
i mentioned that we did that once to a XF velvet fork on this forum earlier this year, and boy o boy did the pitchforks come out.

I'd use liquid wrench. It just sounds better suited to the application.

I've requested an RA to send my fork back. This thread made me re-think my state of ambivalence and tipped toward "see what happens" mentality. Eye surgery next week, so I won't mind being without a fork for a little while.

Did I hear about a damper retrofit where you can put the new damper into the older fork? Might get that done too if they agree to replace my CSU.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I owned an xf velvet I'd be pissed too.

That's always a good way to go about important decisions.

Just don't blame me when you end up waking up on top of a transvestite, broke from all the drugs, covered in glitter and maple syrup.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Just had maiden voyage on new fork and new, to me frame. The fork is so good! Noticeably stiffer/torsional than my pike was. Damping seemed spot on for me. Plush through little rough stuff, support when pushing off berms and lips. Thanks for the settings help. I'm at about 72psi or so but I set the rest up like the sheet showed. I didn't even touch a dial the whole ride. I stopped even thinking about the fork after a few minutes. It does Bob a little on the climbs but oh well...

The frame is basically unridable! I pretty much had to nose wheelie everything...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have the 29er version of that bike, it's so goddamn unrideable I can't even load it in the truck without crashing.

But in all honesty, don't tell anybody on Ridemonkey, the 29er rails, and it acceptably stiff with a 36 up front. Would love to try the 27.5.

Which RS shock is that and how do you like it? The Fox POS on mine is my only complaint aside from the stupid Enve "stiffer than a frozen rock" bars.