Quantcast

PSA: Deity powdercoat and finish

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Just a heads up ...

I recently sold a Deity bar/stem and before delivering I wanted to clean them up, both were dirty and had grease on them from sitting around. So I took a rag with some solvent and gave them a quick cleaning and POOF! ... the logos wiped right off and the gloss powdercoat went flat/matte. I'm not talking about any harsh chemicals, just a light solvent which I've used on parts all the time. The bar and stem logos disappeared entirely with two wipes of the rag.

I guess these could be out of the norm, I don't know.
I learned the hard way; don't wash/wipe Deity parts with anything but water.

Now to deal with the buyer. :(

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
what solvent did you use? I hate logos and quite like matt colours

deity-

Chimp
Dec 20, 2008
From the pics on your For Sale ad, the bar and stem were the older models that used to have printed graphics (2004-2007 models).

Any print graphic does not do well under any abrasive solvent unfortunately.

It is best to use soap and water like you would with a vehicle...

That is why since 2008, all of the deity stems and handlebars now use HRCS graphics with a high gloss clearcoat over them (much more durable finish).

Things will be even better with the introduction of ano bars in Spring 2010 (5 new bars)...

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
There you go kids ... straight from the horse's mouth.

edit: the stuff is basically white-board cleaner ... not what I'd consider abrasive solvent.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
love my Deity bars. hate the PC'd finish that comes off pretty easily under the brake clamps and the area around it.