Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Planet Cyclery is selling extra shocks from GG at blowout prices. These are OEM so they might be missing the special K that Fox factory is supposed to have. I think that's why I was charged 240 instead of 299.

Fox Factory Float X Factory Rear Shock 230 x 60mm
https://planetcyclery.com/fox-factory-float-x-factory-rear-shock-230-x-60mm?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA8YyuBhBSEiwA5R3-E25yA_EyrIiL9DNBxyYYlDQKnG_z2H1gkFzeEjEMtKFyjs5WSZ4faxoCPOwQAvD_BwE

Just received the shock, it came with the full Kashima coating treatment. Nice dealio

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@FlipSide @canadmos @mykel and other Canadian monkeys that I don’t know, I just came out from MEC with an XT M8000 GS rear derailleur for 60$ instead of 150$. They had many in both versions (GS and SGS), and some XT M786 in GS and SGS too (SGS were cheaper at 50$). I only have one bike left on 11 spd and the derailleur is almost new, but at that price I just grabbed one! The guy at the counter had a double take and was like « whoa that’s cheap! ».

They’re not on the website but if you are too far from one, maybe ask the service center if they have the same prices. All their house brand pedals were also dirt cheap, some models looked pretty good for the price.

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Slightly unrelated, but I bought some insulated Freerider EPS Mid last year thinking that they'd be great for fat biking, but it seems that they're 1.Colder than my regular shoes and 2.Deadly to walk on snow. I discovered that thinking that they'd be perfect to snowskate with, but they're the worst. They might be good for fall or spring weather, but under 0C they're pretty much useless. At least they were like 60$ on sale on Adidas.ca

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Slightly unrelated, but I bought some insulated Freerider EPS Mid last year thinking that they'd be great for fat biking, but it seems that they're 1.Colder than my regular shoes and 2.Deadly to walk on snow. I discovered that thinking that they'd be perfect to snowskate with, but they're the worst. They might be good for fall or spring weather, but under 0C they're pretty much useless. At least they were like 60$ on sale on Adidas.ca
I got those, they're perfect for Squamish winters and day to day wearing 5C ish +/-, but yeah, not great when it's snowy or icy!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've a pair of 2FO DH Flats in size 43.5 (10.25 Merkun) that were only worn a couple of times in our household that a monkey can have for postage.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Planet Cyclery is selling extra shocks from GG at blowout prices. These are OEM so they might be missing the special K that Fox factory is supposed to have. I think that's why I was charged 240 instead of 299.

Fox Factory Float X Factory Rear Shock 230 x 60mm
https://planetcyclery.com/fox-factory-float-x-factory-rear-shock-230-x-60mm?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA8YyuBhBSEiwA5R3-E25yA_EyrIiL9DNBxyYYlDQKnG_z2H1gkFzeEjEMtKFyjs5WSZ4faxoCPOwQAvD_BwE
Good deal, that's like $100 under dealer cost. :thumb:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
PSA : @canadmos @FlipSide @mykel and others Canadians : FYI on ordering Magura products from Germany if you're in Canada, it doesn't work from Bike24 anymore! That's where I was buying all my Magura stuff, it's 3x the price in Canada for brake pads and stuff. Not worth running Magura anymore if they prohibit it from all the stores in Germany. I don't know if it still works in the US, but I have recently ordered some Magura stuff from Bike24 and it used to be shippable to here.

Now going to build a spare DT Swiss parts room before DT does the same. A 350 hub ends up being under 200$cad from Bike 24 and they retail for 500$cad here.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
PSA : @canadmos @FlipSide @mykel and others Canadians : FYI on ordering Magura products from Germany if you're in Canada, it doesn't work from Bike24 anymore! That's where I was buying all my Magura stuff, it's 3x the price in Canada for brake pads and stuff. Not worth running Magura anymore if they prohibit it from all the stores in Germany. I don't know if it still works in the US, but I have recently ordered some Magura stuff from Bike24 and it used to be shippable to here.

Now going to build a spare DT Swiss parts room before DT does the same. A 350 hub ends up being under 200$cad from Bike 24 and they retail for 500$cad here.
Thanks for the heads up. Have not run Magura since Louise BAT days.
I have been finding this with the German stores, more and more things are unavailable to ship. The mfg/dist cartel is working hard to retain their huge north american profits. I only order one or two times a year now and do a price and shipping total compare between multiple stores. Shipping has gotten stupid as well. It was always a bit steep, but now, damn. Getting harder and harder to justify when all the little add-ons to make shipping worthwhile are no longer available. As long as they don't do stupid things with tires...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It seems like msrp on maxxis tires has gone up again, with them being $150 a tire, for the ones we'd want to run.

TBS has them on sale for $104...

$104 should be the msrp and the sale price should be $70. :think:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It seems like msrp on maxxis tires has gone up again, with them being $150 a tire, for the ones we'd want to run.

TBS has them on sale for $104...

$104 should be the msrp and the sale price should be $70. :think:
You are on point.

Just checked Lordgun as mentioned above. No weird German kink to be found. :disgust:

Anyway, they did have tires - and at first glance looks like a price of 50-75 canadian depending upon tread, casing and compound.

Shipping hurts, but still cheaper than local.

2 Maxxgrip DH Minions 134.00, Shipping 52.00, for a total of 186.00 Canuckistani pesos.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I always figured that Lordgun was one of those weird Chinese scam sites.

No idea. I have heard the name before. When mentioned, google led me to cheap tires. Did not check anything else out. From a quick look just now, Italy is where they are located and based on the little bit of chatter I read, they may be a bit flakey. Reviews are all over the place.

Not going on my list unless some of you guys back the place up.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Lordgun were slow as shit when I used them.
I bought a few small items just to test them out, I won't bother using them again with the German shops being so quick but the DHL can be shit.
I tried Merlin for the first time, just gabbed a couple of cheap things to try them out, it was posted(or someone clicked the posted button) within an hour of me ordering it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I recommended Ridewill in Italy to a friend last year, he wanted to buy a CC Inline shock and a fork, and those guys had amazing prices. He got them shipped to France, so I'm not sure about their shipping policies across the pond.

I found them while searching for replacement cartridges for KS droppers. Their shipping charges to Argentina were on the cheap side back then.

For reference, a Maxxis Minion DHR is 51.23 USD there, although they ship by courier so add another $45 (at least to Argentina):

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Adidas is having a leapday sale. Code LEAP DAY. 510 trail cross shoes LT are at $49 before this 40% discount dropping them to around $27. Not too shabby. Of course today only.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Adidas is having a leapday sale. Code LEAP DAY. 510 trail cross shoes LT are at $49 before this 40% discount dropping them to around $27. Not too shabby. Of course today only.
They're all showing up as sold out when I check the Adidas site.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I assume poppet valving as well :nope:
I do believe @Jm_ and I are still waiting for a reply to that very question posed to Darren over on empty beer. The poppet valve that isn't a poppet valve.

Have not watched this yet, but there may be more details about what is inside the box revealed here.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Pretty much guarantee it has the HC97 compression assembly including the non-poppet poppet valve.
Probably the only shims in there are for rebound.

Use what you got, that's why travel is limited to 170mm.
Using same springs and air bottom out system as the ACS coil kits.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pretty much guarantee it has the HC97 compression assembly including the non-poppet poppet valve.
Probably the only shims in there are for rebound.

Use what you got, that's why travel is limited to 170mm.
Using same springs and air bottom out system as the ACS coil kits.
It has the poppet valve from the rear shock, confirmed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Correction, Darren is calling it a "bump valve"...because...reasons.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Whenever I read poppet valve here, my first thought is pez dispenser head.

What is it? :nerd:
Basically a spring backed check valve. Fluid pressure against the ball / cone / plunger opens against spring pressure. Adjustment is spring preload on the plunger. Tuning options are limited, you have seat shape, plunger shape, spring opening and spring force to play with, with spring and plunger the only ones easily changed.
1709397572014.png

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Screaming deal on the coil Z1. $325

for the euros, lots of marzocchi stuff on sale too

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Basically a spring backed check valve. Fluid pressure against the ball / cone / plunger opens against spring pressure. Adjustment is spring preload on the plunger. Tuning options are limited, you have seat shape, plunger shape, spring opening and spring force to play with, with spring and plunger the only ones easily changed.
View attachment 208502

Without the image you also just described a shim stack. The only real difference is that shims make it easier to tune the spring rate and progression. "Poppet valve" suspension manufacturers rarely offer different spring rates so you are stuck with adjusting preload.

Shim stacks are much lighter so should react faster. This could make a difference for high frequency chatter but no idea how that relates to bikes. I did talk to a guy who tuned race cars and he explained how a straight shim stack could give the same dyno results as a tapered one, but on the track the tapered one had better cornering traction. I assumed it was the lighter stack being able to react quicker. If you can think of things in the frequency domain, less phase shift.