used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Still cheap.
You think?
Don't forget that dumb but cheaper to produce 44mm straight headtube (for an external lower cup and zero stack upper). Pretty much redundant external dropper cable routing.
the fact that it has an 853 sticker for the one tube and for all the "legendary ride of steel" BS Cotic put out it's oversized cromo tubing gives it a harsher ride than many Alu hardtails
IMO £400 isn't really a bargain for a heavy AF old standards hardtail frame chucked together in Taiwan with no real direction.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I still don't understand the general fascination with the LLS trend from UK folk. They have a rather flat country, mud to fill the Marianas trench, yet they are campaigning those wheelbarrows like there's no tomorrow.
Let me explain.
Clive and Nathan are your typical UK weekend warrior mountain bikers. They grew up reading MBUK and riding XC gaining mediocre skills and slightly better bikes over the years. They were never part of the downhill scene but along came this new category of mountainbiking called Enduro and DH uplift centres began catering for the less skilled riders. Eager to be a part of this new cool scene Clive decided they should move away from the trail centres loops they'd grown up to love, buy full face helmets and pads and start riding some of the steeper more technical handbuilt trails that were popping up all over the country and eventually start entering events so they could talk about how rad they were coming in 5 minutes behind the genuine racers. Nathan actually started gaining confidence and skills and began dropping Clive... So there was only one thing Clive could do. Yes. buy a MOAR capable bike. So off Clive trotted to the bank to move money into another account so his Mrs wouldn't see his statement and now he could buy a super heavy, super long Geomanonanon Enduro bike he'd read Chris Porter banging on about the added stability and confidence it would give him. This was the edge he needed... until Nathan cottoned on and the arms race began. Bigger wheels were next, then longer dropper posts etc. etc. until one of the two went out and bought himself an even heavier and even moar stable Emtb. Nowadays Nathan and Clive travel to ride other peoples handbuilt trails they've found through social media and Youtube videos almost every weekend "practicing" in an attempt to bag a mid pack beginner E-Enduro finishing position in their next mtb festival's race.

Basically the whole of Scotland and Wales is full of woodland/hills littered with all manor of steep tech mtb trails. And to get to some of these areas it's not much moar than a 2 hr drive from most of the flatter heavily populated built up areas of England.

I'm in a tiny niche minority in still preferring my bikes to have smaller wheels, smaller frames and sketchier but far moar nimble handling. But can totally understand how anyone who buys into LLS won't ever go back. Especially if they weren't very skillful on a bike in the first place.
I have one long bike. an XL carbon Giga 290. it is undoubtedly waaay moar stable and definitely faster than my smaller bikes and on paper it's the perfect *modern* fit for me. But I just don't really enjoy riding it as much. Barely cost me anything to build ho.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Let me explain.
Clive and Nathan are your typical UK weekend warrior mountain bikers. They grew up reading MBUK and riding XC gaining mediocre skills and slightly better bikes over the years. They were never part of the downhill scene but along came this new category of mountainbiking called Enduro and DH uplift centres began catering for the less skilled riders. Eager to be a part of this new cool scene Clive decided they should move away from the trail centres loops they'd grown up to love, buy full face helmets and pads and start riding some of the steeper more technical handbuilt trails that were popping up all over the country and eventually start entering events so they could talk about how rad they were coming in 5 minutes behind the genuine racers. Nathan actually started gaining confidence and skills and began dropping Clive... So there was only one thing Clive could do. Yes. buy a MOAR capable bike. So off Clive trotted to the bank to move money into another account so his Mrs wouldn't see his statement and now he could buy a super heavy, super long Geomanonanon Enduro bike he'd read Chris Porter banging on about the added stability and confidence it would give him. This was the edge he needed... until Nathan cottoned on and the arms race began. Bigger wheels were next, then longer dropper posts etc. etc. until one of the two went out and bought himself an even heavier and even moar stable Emtb. Nowadays Nathan and Clive travel to ride other peoples handbuilt trails they've found through social media and Youtube videos almost every weekend "practicing" in an attempt to bag a mid pack beginner E-Enduro finishing position in their next mtb festival's race.

Basically the whole of Scotland and Wales is full of woodland/hills littered with all manor of steep tech mtb trails. And to get to some of these areas it's not much moar than a 2 hr drive from most of the flatter heavily populated built up areas of England.

I'm in a tiny niche minority in still preferring my bikes to have smaller wheels, smaller frames and sketchier but far moar nimble handling. But can totally understand how anyone who buys into LLS won't ever go back. Especially if they weren't very skillful on a bike in the first place.
I have one long bike. an XL carbon Giga 290. it is undoubtedly waaay moar stable and definitely faster than my smaller bikes and on paper it's the perfect *modern* fit for me. But I just don't really enjoy riding it as much. Barely cost me anything to build ho.
AHAHAHA Gary this time you delivered. And delivered good. My work mate is looking at my face with a look that could only be described as "perplexed", after the all-lungs-out laugh I just threw.

Where the fuck is the rep button when yuou need it most?

I guess, except for the e-enduro MTB and the hidden separate bank account I now shall be known as Clive...

I have been there, done that. My previous bike, an Orbea Rallon, could only be described as a steam roller. Even when it was a 27.5-inch wheeled bike, I felt like it was robbing all the fun off my flattish, local trails, while only giving me modest improvements on moar vertical trails. I bought it after feeling my previous, 26" Cannondale Prophet was like riding a kid's tricycle on steep and tech stuff.

Now that I've regained confidence and started riding my dirt jumper a lot moar, I'm on a place where a moderately long trail bike with a smaller frame (and a longer dropper) gets me giggling much more frequently. I'm sticking to 29" wheels simply because of the chronical spare parts shortage we have used to live under here in Argentina.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You think?
Don't forget that dumb but cheaper to produce 44mm straight headtube (for an external lower cup and zero stack upper). Pretty much redundant external dropper cable routing.
the fact that it has an 853 sticker for the one tube and for all the "legendary ride of steel" BS Cotic put out it's oversized cromo tubing gives it a harsher ride than many Alu hardtails
IMO £400 isn't really a bargain for a heavy AF old standards hardtail frame chucked together in Taiwan with no real direction.
I won't have a hardtail frame without a 44mm straight HT, and I don't understand how a visible cable makes it redundant, it's easier to work on so that's a plus.

It's a hardtail for basic people like me, it's not a fuckin' Scott wonderboi bike.

I also trust the Taiwanese more than the English for bike manufacturing.

The last 853 frame I had was the worst riding hardtail* I've had, but I don't know if the stays were 853. It wouldn't have mattered because they were so thick even licorice tubes would have been too stiff.
*. 243 racing DH frame was stiffer but it was a Huck frame.

The gusset in the seat stays does concern me a bit, that would be my guess for the location of future failures, if any.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I won't have a hardtail frame without a 44mm straight HT, and I don't understand how a visible cable makes it redundant, it's easier to work on so that's a plus.
Just a few weeks back I had to let a customer know his wonderful steel Cotic 44mm lower headtube had flaired. Haven't had to do that in a very long time.
What's your reason for insisting on a 44mm straight headtube?
External routed droppers are max 125mm drop. and that's what makes the routing redundant.
internal dropper routing on almost all hardtails is really easy to work on.

Oh... I absolutely trust Taiwanese factory frame manufacturing... English people who sell them claiming all their bikes are built in the UK less so. If you search hard enough they do say 'some' frames are manufactured in Taiwan (but it's really not obvious)

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just a few weeks back I had to let a customer know his wonderful steel Cotic 44mm lower headtube had flaired. Haven't had to do that in a very long time.
What's your reason for insisting on a 44mm straight headtube?
External routed droppers are max 125mm drop. and that's what makes the routing redundant.
internal dropper routing on almost all hardtails is really easy to work on.

Oh... I absolutely trust Taiwanese factory frame manufacturing... English people who sell them claiming all their bikes are built in the UK less so. If you search hard enough they do say 'some' frames are manufactured in Taiwan (but it's really not obvious)
Wow, I haven't seen a flared headtube in years.

I am an old person who likes good posture, slack HA's, no headset spacers and not much travel, both my last bikes had 150mm, 44mm HT's.
Much to the rejection of this site I fucking hate tapered steerers, when they are 200+mm long they flex like fuck when mashing the pedals and I fucking hate it, so I use an Intend Stiffmaster upper headset.

Yes I know I could have a long semi integrated headtube but from memory the 150mm*44 straight was the longest the framebuilders I used could get. White people problems, innit?

I'm confused by the dropper post dropper comment, can't you just put the hole further down on the seat tube?
My Norco is as above and it had 150mm, I haven't taken much notice as I've had wireless ones for maybe 5yrs.

Bring back 1.5"!!!!!!!!

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I fucking hate tapered steerers, when they are 200+mm long they flex like fuck when mashing the pedals and I fucking hate it, so I use an Intend Stiffmaster upper headset.
Wut? Only the lower portion of steerer tapers all steerer above the taper is 1&1/8" the same as any straight steerer. You could even use the same intend upper headset if you so wished

I'm confused by the dropper post dropper comment, can't you just put the hole further down on the seat tube?
I've no idea what hole you're referring to.
the Cotic frame features cable hose guides below the top tube for an EXTERNALLY routed dropper cable/hose. ie. one in which the cable/hose attaches to an actuator located outside the post.
eg.
1722911450520.png1722911769707.png1722911047315.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wut? Only the lower portion of steerer tapers all steerer above the taper is 1&1/8" the same as any straight steerer. You could even use the same intend upper headset if you so wished

I've no idea what hole you're referring to.
the Cotic frame features cable hose guides below the top tube for an EXTERNALLY routed dropper cable/hose. ie. one in which the cable/hose attaches to an actuator located outside the post.
eg.
View attachment 216250View attachment 216251View attachment 216246
Yeah I want a straight 1.5" steerer not a straight 1 1/8", and tapered is dumb.
Then I don't 'need' to have a band aid headset on a XC bike. Same reason Intend make the thick wall steerers for other brands, because tapered is dumb, so they make two band aid fixes.

Maybe it's because I'm in the southern hemisphere but I see the dropper cable going in to the seat tube. So it has two options, people put old parts on hardtails because they are usually N+1 anyway.

Tapered is dumb.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Then I don't 'need' to have a band aid headset on a XC bike
All that headset does is add a clamping spacer. Presumably to give MOAR assurance it won't work loose. When Infact all that's required to insure headsets don't work loose is a stem with sufficient clamping area and well enough designed pinch bolt system that it won't slip. It's not going to change whether the additional steerer pretruding out above the headset is able to flex or not.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
All that headset does is add a clamping spacer. Presumably to give MOAR assurance it won't work loose. When Infact all that's required to insure headsets don't work loose is a stem with sufficient clamping area and well enough designed pinch bolt system that it won't slip. It's not going to change whether the additional steerer pretruding out above the headset is able to flex or not.
In regards to the fork flexing from trail input yeah it won't do much.
But it makes a pretty solid difference in how taut the front end feels, pretty sure it would be a measurable difference too.
My current norco feels fairly stiff in the front end so I'll try to do a video of the difference. I'm a 120kg fat lad that likes to mash the pedals.

My last frame was so noodly that you couldn't notice any difference with the Intend headset.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I fail to see the relevance of mashing pedals with regards to steerer stiffness.
I'm not exactly light either.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Any chance we can see pics of these bicycles?

I'm kinda imagining something like...
This
_20240806_133216.JPG

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Trying to find a shop that has BOTH a 29" front 2.4 Kryptotal and a 27.5 rear 2.4 Kryptotal, in the Enduro soft casing, AND be on some sort of sale, has been a nightmare.

About to just pay full price....

1723230299789.png

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2024
Anyone has a lead on cheap Shimano 4-pot calipers?
You can find the Zee calipers for a pretty good deal....

If you don't mind not-fancy parts the br-m6120 and br-m520 calipers can be found pretty cheap...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You can find the Zee calipers for a pretty good deal....

If you don't mind not-fancy parts the br-m6120 and br-m520 calipers can be found pretty cheap...

Thanks! yeah, those are pretty much the reference values I'm finding online. I was maybe thinking of something with 20-30 % off those prices.

Aug 7, 2024
Thanks! yeah, those are pretty much the reference values I'm finding online. I was maybe thinking of something with 20-30 % off those prices.
Not to cross reference another thread, but I've bought several complete brake sets (front and rear) of SLX and XT of Aliexpress for around $150. They seem genuine and of good quality. The come without any packaging and its a crap shoot weather you get barbs and olives or not. I'm pretty sure they came home in someone's lunch box.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Durolux forks seem stupid cheap right now. Self equalizing air spring and spring backed IFP damper.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I fail to see the relevance of mashing pedals with regards to steerer stiffness.
I'm not exactly light either.
Really, you've never gone for a bit of a sprint and thought, "Wow That handlebar/stem/whatever is pretty flexy?"
Maybe you don't pull up on the bar when you push down on the pedal? We can't all afford E-bikes so some of us still have to pedal.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

Durolux forks seem stupid cheap right now. Self equalizing air spring and spring backed IFP damper.
Don't forget 20mm axle!

Have heard good things, worth a shot for that price.

Got one coming to check out, thanks!
$30 off first order, $278 to the door. :rockout:

Aug 7, 2024
Did I read on here somewhere that someone found ztto 2.3mm disc rotors for stupid cheap?

Like @schwaaa31 said they are stupid cheap on Aliexpress. I'm going to try them with some Shigura's on my new downhill bike and compare them to Saints on the old one. The quality looks good and I've checked the flatness with a straight edge and they are flat and clean. Impressed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't forget 20mm axle!

Have heard good things, worth a shot for that price.

Got one coming to check out, thanks!
$30 off first order, $278 to the door. :rockout:
Fuck them, they moved to the stupid trend of new air shaft if you want to change travel.
They should have gone straight from their shitty old neg coil system to a proper dual air spring and allowed the use of clip on spacers for travel adjust.
That's why I went the Mezzer, then the formula.

EDIT- At that price I guess I shouldn't whinge.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Really, you've never gone for a bit of a sprint and thought, "Wow That handlebar/stem/whatever is pretty flexy?"
not really. No.
But then again. I just don't use stupid flexy bars.
I suggest you do the same.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Good info on what tools needed.
That's going to be a fun damper to pull apart.

The hsc plate thing is garbage.
Looks like the piston could use some more or bigger compression ports....:monkey:

*edit Found a good pic looks like the hsc plate also acts as the check valve.
IMG_3261.JPG

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What happened, no damping?

Did that thing have the ultra crappy damper or the Charger 2.1?
I don't remember....
Yeah the crappy damper. Just opened it up and the rebound piston unthreaded from the piston rod. Scored up the rod, lots of metal flakes, and I'm sure the sealhead (which was way too tight) is probably destroyed as well. Don't think I'll be able to save this one...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Good info on what tools needed.
That's going to be a fun damper to pull apart.

The hsc plate thing is garbage.
Looks like the piston could use some more or bigger compression ports....:monkey:

*edit Found a good pic looks like the hsc plate also acts as the check valve.
View attachment 216897
If it's the same as the durolux I had I found it way better than the Z1 I bought to replace it.
I had the durolux stripped down to be recycled but after three weeks with Z1 I put it all back together and ran it for a few months.
The Z1 was nice for putting around, the Durolux was only any good when you were giving it a nudge, and I was okay with that.