Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
1. 3 fucken millimeters is nothing to lose sleep over. All the punters wanking over videos of WC riders n their mechanics deliberating over a mm here n there in reach is laughable. It makes fuck all actual difference.

2. the cheapest Mega is a LOT cheaper than the cheapest Capra.

I was just pointing out buying a bike with suspension you deem FAR TOO Progressive and meaning you feel you have to spend money to get it less progressive doesn't really make a lot of sense if you're on a tight budget. But it is what it is. And I know you're very happy with your choice.
Personally I don't think the Capra is too progressive at all. Infact I still fucking love riding my l'il ol far MOAR progressive Capra from the arse end of last decade. It's playful AF in a way pretty much no modern bike is now.
1. You misunderstood me. Most bikes I've tried were more than a few mm longer and the stack was also different. I dgaf about a few MM. It's just in between most sizes and most sizes don't differ by 5 or 10mm.

2. No it's not. The cheapest alloy Mega is 3700 GPB for the 29er Alloy. That's 4100 Eur. For that you can get a Carbon capra or if the XL capra 4 is good for you even the discounted XL Capra on the high end spec with the top fox boingers.

Then again I am not advocating against buying NP. I seriously considered one. Went for YT mostly due to the awesome component package on the Uncaged 9.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I know I'm a cyclical old bastard but I wouldn't get too excited just yet. bike/component prices have absolutely sky rocketted over the last couple of years. Plenty folk now simply accept paying £90 for a fucking bicycle tyre FFS. Predicted sales and price drops are unlikely to be any lower than standard prices were just 3 years back.
we used to charge 29chf to change a tire/tube. new price: 35chf

lazy suckers don’t mind.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Random possibly interesting fact : NP's Mega carbon frame weighs the same as the Alu version. (stiffness will obvs differ. But who's to say which is better er)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
TRP Slate Evos (pair) fr 86$usd (67%off) at Merlin
I have never tried them and I just switched all my bikes to Magura, but this could be a good trail / 2nd bike brake.

Also, 8.66$ 180mm TRP rotors :

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Another one for us Canucks.

10% off sitewide (except Sram and Rockshox stuff) at https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/

Might have to grab the second set of tires now. $90 for one tire sure beats $130 that most other shops are selling them for...

Unless anyone knows of another shop with a sale on Maxxis?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Another one for us Canucks.

10% off sitewide (except Sram and Rockshox stuff) at https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/

Might have to grab the second set of tires now. $90 for one tire sure beats $130 that most other shops are selling them for...

Unless anyone knows of another shop with a sale on Maxxis?
They're probably best for lowest price on maxxis fairly consistently. I picked up 2 sets of dhf/dhrII at the chromag thanksgiving sale for like 30/tire, best deal I've had in years on tires!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
230x65mm Tri Air shock is half price, they don't review all that well though.

Or if you buy a Durolux or Auron you get a free Tri Air 2.

For the Euroze Monkeys, forks, shocks 'n' stuff.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Will report on initial feel and shifting performance
- fitted no dramas and shifts well. Smooth light action shifter feel similar to deore/Zee of old but is noticeably cheaper/plasticy because of the non removable gear display. Shifts quietly, smoothly and quicker than either wide range 12spd shimano or sram. Not really too surprising given the smaller range, stiffer shorter cage mech and stiffer cassette sprockets. Mech cage is a definite medium length rather than short but still has tons more ground clearance than a 12spd SGS cage if you're running 26 or 27.5 rear and looking for better clearance

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
- fitted no dramas and shifts well. Smooth light action shifter feel similar to deore/Zee of old but is noticeably cheaper/plasticy because of the non removable gear display. Shifts quietly, smoothly and quicker than either wide range 12spd shimano or sram. Not really too surprising given the smaller range, stiffer shorter cage mech and stiffer cassette sprockets. Mech cage is a definite medium length rather than short but still has tons more ground clearance than a 12spd SGS cage if you're running 26 or 27.5 rear and looking for better clearance
NSMB has a nice piece on the LinkGlide Shimano line:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Be interested in hearing what the "new" linkglide cable pull ratio actually is. (sorry, I was far too drunk busy/lazy to do it myself)
But it's good to know LG cassettes will work with OG 10/11spd mechs/shifters AND that the 10/11spd deore/XT link glide mechs/shifters are cross compatible. Eg. An XT (windowless) shifter with Deore 10spd LG

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

According to that piece, it's "linear":

BikePacking said:
The new LINKGLIDE components include DEORE XT 1×11 and DEORE 1×10-speed shifters, rear derailleurs, chain, and cassettes. The good news is that each of these individual components was designed to get more mileage before repairs or replacement; the bad news is that LINKGLIDE components aren’t cross-compatible with other Shimano HYPERGLIDE+ components. Namely, the LINKGLIDE cassettes have different cog-to-cog spacing in order to make room for the wider teeth. And, the LINKGLIDE derailleur pull ratio is different—it’s linear to help accommodate the wider cassette tooth design. This allows different speed Linkglide shifters and derailleurs to work together seamlessly. So, you can use the 11-speed LINKGLIDE shifter with the 10-speed LINKGLIDE derailleur. Each of the components will feature a LINKGLIDE logo to differentiate them from regular DEORE XT and DEORE components.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I "think" all that means is the sprocket spacing and cable pull ratio is exactly the same between 10 & 11spd LG

All cable pull ratios are linear. Ie shifters pull the same amount of cable per shift no matter which two gears you're shifting between

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Gary
It seems that you have been listened to: shimano has just released the CUES group-sets including displayless shifters working within the linkglide range
Not sure how the link will work but your shimano rep will certainly know about it

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
So maybe bikes have become too expensive lately? Who could have guessed? :brows:
I see more and more second hand bikes bought during covid with very low mileage where the seller tries to get them sold for 20-25% off the resale value. Hard time ahead for them...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
TRP Slate Evo brakeset (pair fr/rr) for 127$cdn at Merlin Cycles (were 113$ when I bought them last week) They come with adapters sometimes it seems, and the lines are not attached to the levers but they're full of oil.

•203mm R1 2.3mm rotors centerlock are 21$each, https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-r1c-centre-lock-rotor-282010.html

•180mm R1 6-bolt rotors are 11$ each (sorry 203mm out of stock now). https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-r1-6-bolt-rotor-282001.html

Cost me 200$cdn all included for 2 CL rotors, 2 6-bolt rotors and the pair of brakes, and shipping. I'm looking forward to replacing my 2 piston SLX and put them on another bike.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Free shipping to Canada and maybe elsewhere from bike-component.de for the next week:
"Use the code "MARCH4FREE" to get free shipping on your order until 20/03/23 at 12 PM."

Edit: does not work, sorry

Last edited: