Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i recall fondly when our currency was ~at par & we bought greedily from the US online shops.

ALSO, when we could buy shimano & sram overseas at about shop cost (sometimes less).

shit be $$ these days.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
i recall fondly when our currency was ~at par & we bought greedily from the US online shops.

ALSO, when we could buy shimano & sram overseas at about shop cost (sometimes less).

shit be $$ these days.
When you could pull a full set of brakes, rotors and mounts, shipped, all duties and taxes in and be in under the dealer cost of just the brakes alone....

Or a set of XTR pedals for less than 1/2 of Canadian retail...
Or two made in Canada chain rings, bought out of the US, shipped, taxes etc for less than one locally?...

Etc...Etc...Etc...

So, what do they do,? Protect the customers, oh fuck no, we will just make is so you are protected in your ass rapeage. We will prevent NA customers from pulling parts from any more reasonably priced local. Oh and if you are Canadian, we will spout a bunch of crap about a massive country with spread out population even though 90+% live next to the US border. Then we will not sell you anything direct because we have a Canadian distributor, even though we know they only carry a fraction of our products, and just don't ask about wear items.

Fucking shit was seriously broken before covid, now it is just a smouldering pile.

Edit - a more recent example.
I just bought a Leatt protective shirt out of Germany for 180.00 Canadian.
Cheapest in Canada - 339.00, DHRII for 65 vs 109 and a quart of Stans race for 40 vs 65.00.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cheapest in Canada - 339.00, DHRII for 65 vs 109 and a quart of Stans race for 40 vs 65.00.
And that's just the cost. Actually receiving it is a whole other animal.

Every time I've resorted going to a local bike shop for over the last two years has resulted in them saying "ayup none here in the store but we can order it for you! ETA is today plus six months."

Last shop I went to didn't even have any shimano olives and barbs to sell me. :dead:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Just received a Magura kit from R2-Bike. Two Magura MT5, 2 two HC 203mm rotors, 2 sets of brake pads, a bleed kit, a bottle of Magura blood, spare bleed screws and color rings, an adapter, all for 440$cdn including shipping, taxes and duty. Getting that kit locally would have been over 1000$+tx, but they didn't have them in stock anyway.

If I think about the hourly rate I was given when wrenching at a local shop, I don't feel bad ordering overseas anymore at all. Grabbed 3 headset spacers last spring from a close by shop, leftovers they had from sold bikes, for 18$. I needed them to finish my build right away, so I bought them, but that was my last time buying there. Most local shops screwed friends over when they needed some parts last year too. They had a price on their website, friend goes to get the things in store and he paid like 25% more for his parts+accessories.

And I'm not talking about getting some attitude from the store employees. Not all bike shops are the same, but unfortunately, I much prefer not talking to humans in this context nowadays.

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Also, for Canukistans, Shimano 12 spd chains in stock at SteedCycles.com too.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Anybody have any leads on Maxima brakes? Everywhere I can find appears sold out for the next 12-18 months. No objection to paying full price, just don't want to put money down for something that's 18 months out.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
In Canada, Bicicletta has lots of Shimano and SRAM chains, cassettes, derailleurs, etc. The parts shortage seems pretty much solved (or getting significantly better) on that front.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Regarding the lbs situation: I continue to support my lbs for the sake of buying local, but I agree the situation is getting increasingly frustrating. No deals anymore since the beginning of COVID, horrible waste of time compared to ordering online, higher prices, etc.

Like @vivisectxi, I took advantage of the situation when the $ were at par and stocked up on some good stuff. I bought a full XX1 11sp group for a fraction of what it would cost now...and two full custom BMX race bikes. I had a feeling this situation would not last.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Regarding the lbs situation: I continue to support my lbs for the sake of buying local, but I agree the situation is getting increasingly frustrating. No deals anymore since the beginning of COVID, horrible waste of time compared to ordering online, higher prices, etc.

Like @vivisectxi, I took advantage of the situation when the $ were at par and stocked up on some good stuff. I bought a full XX1 11sp group for a fraction of what it would cost now...and two full custom BMX race bikes. I had a feeling this situation would not last.
You at least have some nice actual MTB focused bike shops around Quebec City :p

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

shit be $$ these days.
I remember those days too... I bought my 1up rack when the Canadian dollar was above US... had it shipped to the UPS store across the border. That way I got free shipping, and didn't have to pay the extortionate FedEx "brokerage" fee... Also bought a fancy espresso machine the same way. those were the good ol' days.
In Canada, Bicicletta has lots of Shimano and SRAM chains, cassettes, derailleurs, etc. The parts shortage seems pretty much solved (or getting significantly better) on that front.
gotta link for said shop? I'm having trouble finding it, searching for "bicicletta" is returning a lot of results, but few are about a bike shop in Canada...
You at least have some nice actual MTB focused bike shops around Quebec City :p
Sure. and with the attitude to match. when I was at MSA last year I went to a shop looking for the Spesh Grid Trail Butcher. I said I wanted the 2021 version specifically because they changed the casing and rubber compound from 2020. They still sold me the old version, even though they were adamant it was the new version (I called Spesh Canada to confirm). When I went to return it, I explained wanted to replace my EXO+, which I found too fragile as a rear tire with its 120 tpi casing. The shop guys basically did a backflip their eyes rolled so far back. They as much as told me I was an idiot thinking a 60tpi casing would make a difference. And lo and behold, what does Maxxis do for 2022 but switch the entire EXO+ lineup to 60tpi... I almost want to go back to the shop and fucking rub it in ttheir faces. but that would be petty... :D /coolstorybro
TLDR: QC shops are full of pompous douches too.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
gotta link for said shop? I'm having trouble finding it, searching for "bicicletta" is returning a lot of results, but few are about a bike shop in Canada...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anybody have any leads on Maxima brakes? Everywhere I can find appears sold out for the next 12-18 months. No objection to paying full price, just don't want to put money down for something that's 18 months out.
keep an eye on bike components de and bike24. they pop up periodically, but maybe half a dozen sets and will sell out in minutes.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
TLDR: QC shops are full of pompous douches too.
For sure. They need to teach YOU, because you don't know anything and THEY know better man. You would have brought the exact part number and told them that it's exactly what you wanted, but instead of thinking that it could be right, they'd start the search in Google and 15 minutes later give you a different number that's not the right part. Happens to me every time. I just don't want to waste their time and do the research before, but it ends up being too long and they can't order it.

It usually happens to me once a year when I try to support local bike shops and get things locally, but then I get the attitude treatment and open up an overseas website when I get back home.

A few weeks ago I went in a local shop asking them a Deore M6100 12 speed 10-51 cassette. The guy comes back with an XT M8100 that's twice the price and he starts typing the bill on the computer. I said "sorry that's not the Deore". He says in a condescending tone "Well that's all we have." I asked when they could have the Deore back, he looked online and said November. I just said thanks and I left to buy it online at BC retailer. (RideHub in Squamish, awesome place too).

bicicletta.cc is awesome too, I've ordered plenty of times there. They have great service, a quick and responsive live chat feature, and they pack items well. Too bad they don't do the 5$ shipping on anything anymore, but I guess that they were losing money on that. They still offer free shipping over 100$ though.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Related PSA: Don't do business with BikeInn.

No price can be good enough for the headache and frustration you will get trying to unfuck their fuckery when an order gets screwed up. Never again.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Related PSA: Don't do business with BikeInn.

No price can be good enough for the headache and frustration you will get trying to unfuck their fuckery when an order gets screwed up. Never again.
Dammit, order some tires on them just the other day. Hopeful the order goes smooth.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I ordered from BikeInn once....took like a month to get my "in stock" order.
Their shipping time estimates are pretty "optimistic". 2 months actual for a set of tyres when the tracking indicated they sat in NL airport for at least half of that. That said, my last order with them came pretty quickly, definitely the cheapest I could find.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Dammit, order some tires on them just the other day. Hopeful the order goes smooth.
To be fair, most people get their stuff from BikeInn, it just takes a while. The problem with them is when things go wrong, you will not get any support from them to fix the situation.

In my case, their system cancelled my order for some weird reason after my card was billed. I then got sucked in a never-ending-loop of unhelpful and apparently random generic answers:
- "It's only the pre-authorisation and it wont be charged",
- "Your refund has been processed and should appear within 3-5 days",
- "We never captured the payment, check with your bank".

All of this was bullshit. The payment did pass and they did capture it. For weeks, I was arguing nearly every day asking them to simply check with their billing departement, find the payment and refund me. It was so easy, but they couldn't be bothered doing anything about it and they kept telling me they did not have my money.

IIRC, it was about 450$, so I was really interested in getting it back. At one point, I sent them a print screen of the transaction from my credit card bill to demonstrate they did capture the payment and this is when they did something about it. Unsurprisingly, it was very easy to solve and I got the money just a couple of days after.

I am not the only one who got issues like that with them...so beware.

Good luck! :)

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
bicicletta.cc is awesome too, I've ordered plenty of times there. They have great service, a quick and responsive live chat feature, and they pack items well.
yeah, they're good people. i've done a bit of business with them (though @ the brick & mortar as they're local).

re: another solid canadian online option - i really like TBS. somewhat limited inventory, but what they have is typically the cheapest available. fast service & free ship over $150. they're my usual go-to for maxxis rubber.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yeah, they're good people. i've done a bit of business with them (though @ the brick & mortar as they're local).

re: another solid canadian online option - i really like TBS. somewhat limited inventory, but what they have is typically the cheapest available. fast service & free ship over $150. they're my usual go-to for maxxis rubber.
yeah TBS is where I've purchased every one of my tires for the last few years. Never have had a mixed up order or anything with them.

They also have access to other stuff, or they did, just need to shoot them an email. I purchased a KS seatpost from them way back when.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Since this thread is turning into "how the bike industry in fvcking Canadians"... I'll add: I can't find an 11sp XX1 or X1 chain in stock anywhere (neither LBS' or any of the Canadian on-line retailers). My LBS checked their distributors, and X1 is back ordered till November 2022, and XX1 till May 2023. Yet I can't order one of those chains from outside the country. Neither zee Germans nor the Yanks are allowed to ship them to our shores. FU SRAM, FU right up the behind.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Since this thread is turning into "how the bike industry in fvcking Canadians"... I'll add: I can't find an 11sp XX1 or X1 chain in stock anywhere (neither LBS' or any of the Canadian on-line retailers). My LBS checked their distributors, and X1 is back ordered till November 2022, and XX1 till May 2023. Yet I can't order one of those chains from outside the country. Neither zee Germans nor the Yanks are allowed to ship them to our shores. FU SRAM, FU right up the behind.
I'll do you a deal on the X8, now that I don't singlespeed anymore it's been in the spares for a few years :D
20220506_123056.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Alchemy have frames/bikes in stock-

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mastodon rebuild kit on Bike24. Well, not now, because I bought it. Can't find them anywhere.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For our Canadian folks, I just stumbled across this online store that has some bike stuff. Another option...

Gear Hub out of Fernie also:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
if you wanna pay a premium over rsp than there are usually some brand new ones offered over at the classifieds @ mtb-news.de