Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you're wanting to try out options I wouldn't waste money on K-edge. Plenty similar and just as good anodized aluminium out front, bar mounts and top cap/headset spacer mounts on AliXpress/Ebay for a, fraction of the cost. From the likes of GUB, ZTTO etc. as well as unbranded.
Eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165218135700
The quarter turn mount insert is replaceable and can also be fitted at 90deg allowing you to sit the garmin alongside to any stem so long as you have uninterrupted room for a headset spacer above it. I find quarter turn mounts tend to eventually wear out and become wobbky/rattly if you swap the device between bikes or remove it for charging often but replacement inserts are available in 3s for just a few quid.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not with the short riser stem. Anywho, I don't interact with gadgets when I ride besides starting and stopping them so I'll see what might work when the thing arrives.

1665143980048.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The mount I linked to will work perfectly with that stem. Just offset it 90deg and rotate the insert so the device faces the correct direction and the device will sit safely protected by your bars alongside the stem.
The Edge 530 is a kinda pointless purchase if you don't interact with any of its functionality. Still nice to have incase you ever do change your mind though. Mapping and navigation is fairly decent and the amount of on screen data available is absolutely massive.
But it sounds like something smaller and inobtrusive along the lines of Garmin's Edge 25 would actually have been a better buy for you.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd throw R2bike into the mix of Euro shops to monitor for deals as well. Worldwide, non-express shipping is 30€. https://r2-bike.com/sale_1

Also can't hurt to check the mtb-news bargain hunting thread from time to time.
Yeah, I think I got both my pairs of Dominions (stealth color even) from them for like $320/pair. US retail is $250/each.

Merlin has a pretty narrow selection but their prices were really good. At some point I added enough crap to my cart that shipping went free (even international). And they're shipping UPS instead of fucking DHL like all the Germans, so maybe they won't sit at the Frankfurt airport for 2 weeks.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@canadmos Thanks for the FullCycle link! I was waiting to get the V3 lever for my OneUp post so the no minimum shipping made me buy it from them right away! Quick shipping too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@canadmos Thanks for the FullCycle link! I was waiting to get the V3 lever for my OneUp post so the no minimum shipping made me buy it from them right away! Quick shipping too.
hopefully the v3 lever will snap off less easily than the v1 and v2 i've broken! running a pnw right now which has been good. still on the v1 dropper, which has a bit of lateral play in the saddle but still works great.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
As ghetto as it gets, for now, the placement felt good. For $139, I think this 530 is a steal - it came in an original box with all accessories, factory refurb by Garmin with 1 year warranty.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As ghetto as it gets, for now, the placement felt good. For $139, I think this 530 is a steal - it came in an original box with all accessories, factory refurb by Garmin with 1 year warranty.

I think that's what @Full Trucker picked up a couple of months back was a refurb 530. My wife has a 530 and she's happy with it.

Yours appears to have some sort of condom on the lower half though??

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Double-sided tape on the underside, electrical + clear tape for extra security. Not pretty but not permanent solution, either.
The normal Garmin mount will probably work on that stem, I have a 40mm e13 that looks similar and it's been fine on there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Double-sided tape on the underside, electrical + clear tape for extra security. Not pretty but not permanent solution, either.
Silicone cases are like £3 on Ebay.
You entirely sure you don't have any Scottish in you?
Would you like some? :brows:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Thanks, but no thanks. :fie:
I didn't wrap the thing in tape, the tape goes around the top tube to prevent the thingy from flying away.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Big fan of the 530, but I usually have it on my road bike where it's hooked up to all kinds of other dumb shit. I should have added my cadence sensor to my last ride so I could see how terrible it was.

Anyways, there are stem cap mounts, the k-edge style mount posted above, and I use the criss-cross oring mount on my MTB. It's nice to have guidance on which direction to turn at each intersection

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Does the 530 navigate well? I was happy with my Bryton 420 with everything except navigation, the turn by turn function is flakey at best, and after I had a couple big crashes with it an road rashed the hell out of the screen I must have damaged the GPS antenna because its now way less accurate than the apple watch. Right now I've kind of given up on it and use the work outdoors app on the watch to navigate but it doesnt do turn by turn, only alerts me if I went off route.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yes. it navigates very well. the Garmin 530 is basically the 830 but with buttons instead of a touchscreen.
I've had both for a few years now. but got rid of the 530 as I found navigating the map screen pretty much unusable on the move because of the amount of fucking about required to operate pan/zoom and scrolling with multiple button presses and awkward button positions and even pulling over to stop and fuck aboutr with it was a chore.. So I'd do yourself a favour and buy an 830 if you're going to be looking at maps. The only downside is the touch screen can sometimes become a little unresponsive is severe weather and will require taking gloves off to use. (I don't really wear gloves).
If you're just planning on uploading courses to follow you'll be fine just leaving maps on auto zoom 99% of the time without panning/scrolling.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah, and that reminds me that touchscreens outdoor shit is infuriating

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah... its low res and nothing like a phone touchscreen. Garmin have designed to work really well outdoors. unlike a phone screen it still works really well in the rain. Even with gloves on. In over two years of almost daily use all year round I've only had it become unresponsive once. That was in seriously poor conditions. and simply switching the device off and back on again was all that was required to get it working fine again.
I had an old Edge 800 for years and years and that touchscreen worked perfectly the entire life of the unit. but it was very basic and slow and clunky in the first place. The 830 touchscreen in comparison is a lot quicker and far nicer to use

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Freerider Pro's are $75 in a bunch of places.

OneUp has 20% off. Had to pick up two of their bars to try versus the e13 scaffolding pole that came on our Smash's.

edit: Wife decided she wanted to go back to the 2FO's, they should be ~$65 shipped. She used to use them years ago when they first came out, but the soles used to last about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Noble wheels has 20-40% off everything for Black Friday if you are signed up for their news letter. That seems like a heck of a deal. I was waiting for Project321 to release their G3 hubs, but not sure I can pass up this sale...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Q about these - the "regular" ones look very plasticky in pictures, the canvass ones look OK. Is my assumption about their breath-ability correct?
AFAIK the only gotcha on Freerider Pros is that the Prime Blue ones use a less sticky rubber.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
For anyone needing cheap/durable 29" boost wheels, Bike24 has some great deals currently, like those :
for 46euro (on sale from 50).

-Shimano Deore FH-M410-B microspline 32h 148x12mm rear hub (centerlock, cartridge bearings, with steel axle and cassette body and no Scylence problems like their higher-end hubs)
-WTB i30 rim with their tubeless strip in the middle
-DT 2.0mm black spokes and brass nipples

I actually received the first one with 8 bent spokes (the builder had problems with his builiding order it seems), but the wheel was straight and the box it came in was fine too. I removed and straightened them, tightened all the spokes to proper tension and now it's perfectly tensioned, round and true.

Bike24 even gave me a 10euro refund for the bent spokes when I sent them a picture... So I bought another one, and the front one to go with it. 100euro + 40euro shipping is still cheap for a complete boost wheelset, and I've had great luck with all my WTB rims (currently running an Asym i29 and KOM Tough i29). Picked up some 37euro Magura MT sport brakes with that and spare brake pads (the cheapest place to get them) and did not get hit with any tax or duties in Canada on a 575$cdn order.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
one wheel wheighs the same as the set i want
Your choice. I don't care as it's for my beater hardtail and I don't mind the weight since they're cheap, durable and strong.

Edit : 1274g for the rear wheel by my kitchen scale