Quantcast

PSA - Push ElevenSix Sale

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Question about the viability/practicality of coil forks (from a guy who would like to ride one). My biggest issue with the 36 Van RC2 I had was that I was between spring rates. Had the same problem with a 2012 Marz 888. To me the big advantage of air for forks (aside from weight) is that you can find the correct spring rate for you. For rear shocks, PUSH, Fox and other manufacturers have gone to 25 pound increments to address this issue. So while a coil shock could have 25 spring rates to meet the needs of most riders, coil forks typically only have 3-4 spring rates. Is this an unmet need? Is it even practical to offer a similar number of springs for forks?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I was poking around the fox website yesterday. I may have this wrong, but it looks like there are OEM 40's with coil springs and simplified damping for 2017. Reading the manual there were 5 spring weights available.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
At the stiffer end, I almost think there are too many spring rates for rear shocks. 500 to 550 lbs/in is only a 10% change. If you're running a 200lb/in spring because you weigh 130lbs on a low leverage bike, sure, but I don't think 25lb/in increments are necessary at the stiffer end.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's the 40R. Been around for a while. I'm running one. I dropped a fit cart in it and it's baller, aside from spring rattle. it doesn't have kashima, so I'm 5-10% less smooth with the ladies.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
At the stiffer end, I almost think there are too many spring rates for rear shocks. 500 to 550 lbs/in is only a 10% change. If you're running a 200lb/in spring because you weigh 130lbs on a low leverage bike, sure, but I don't think 25lb/in increments are necessary at the stiffer end.
What would help the most is accurate springs.
Steel is especially bad, with +/- 10% being reported - that can cover pretty much 3 spring rates when talking 500 lbs springes ie 450 on the low side and 550 on the high side.

Good Ti is a couple of percent, no idea on what the new super steels are ie SLS, Stendec or Valt

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
What would help the most is accurate springs.
Steel is especially bad, with +/- 10% being reported - that can cover pretty much 3 spring rates when talking 500 lbs springes ie 450 on the low side and 550 on the high side.

Good Ti is a couple of percent, no idea on what the new super steels are ie SLS, Stendec or Valt
I understand the Fox SLS are more accurate, but their light weight is at the expense of fatigue lifespan. The Hyperco springs that PUSH is using are rumored to be within 1% tolerance and have a much longer fatigue lifespan, and the Standec claims less than 2% variance from stamped rate.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This offer is disturbingly attractive, a test ride would likely pull out my wallet.