Quantcast

PSA re: road gaps

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't 50-50 them. It hurts. It also may do bad things to your rear wheel. I nuked a 5.1d in this manner today. So, what to replace it with? I got 2+ years out of the 5.1, so that's not bad at all, I don't need anything super burly. I'm light, and, aside for the occasional moment when I'm not (see: 50-50'd road gap) am pretty smooth. On the other hand, it is sort of tempting just to say fvck it and get an 823 or something that I know I'll REALLY have to try to break.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes, yes I did. Maybe 7' down, 25' out, about 2' short, ass over tea kettle, still clipped in. My knee's about the size of a grapefruit, and I'm sporting some nice rock rash, but I'm mostly ok. Only real damage to the bike was the rear wheel, which is 10 kinds of fvcked.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
yea that step down you gotta go into with a pretty good head of steam.

diablo was good, really hot.
I know. Very well.

Bike behaved pretty well overall. I still need a bigger chainring, now a new rear rim, and could use some better brakes.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I'm sure someone will jump on here to tell me how I don't know sh!t about sh!t but I would just relace another 5.1. They are pretty light and mine seem to last me a good couple of seasons unless I do something like what you did... It seems DT has changed the name of the 5.1 to something else but I just scored 2 on the fleBay for 75$ brand new. Another option would be a No Tubes ZTR Flow, they are around the same price.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm sure someone will jump on here to tell me how I don't know sh!t about sh!t but I would just relace another 5.1. They are pretty light and mine seem to last me a good couple of seasons unless I do something like what you did... Another good option would be a No Tubes ZTR Flow. It seems DT has changed the name of the 5.1 to something else but I just scored 2 on the fleBay for 75$ brand new.
Oh, I forgot I asked for advice. Thanks. :rofl:

The 5.1 is now the EX500 or something, but yeah. I've got Flows on my Bottle Rocket, and honestly like the DTs better.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Ironically, they're easier to set up tubeless, and I'm not a huge fan of the lack of eyelets on the Flows.
Thats funny, what is your method of choice for tubelessizing the 5.1? I don't think you can go wrong especially since you already ran the 5.1. Chances are most of the spokes can be saved unless its completely dominated.

Last edited: