Quantcast

Pt ?

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
I had a klutz moment and badly sprained my ankle and broke my foot a couple weeks ago. I've gotten the go ahead to begin rehabing the ankle---without any weightbearing activities for a couple more weeks-- and was given the option of going to PT or doing the exercises at home on my own. The exercises seem pretty straight forward. Is there any benefit to going to a physical therapist? Have any of you who have been injured had to make a similar choice?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BENEFITS
The PT knows exactly what to do, whereas we -- the rehab'er -- have almost no experience. They can speed up the process and reduce risk of futher damage.

NEGATIVES
Cost. If money is an issue, then that could be a problem. If the Dr. gave you a choice and wants you to rehab, say, 3x/week. Maybe go to the PT once or twice a week and do some on your own.

If you do it completely on your own, don't go as agressive as you would with the PT. Don't push yourself too hard cuz you could screw everything up.

Good luck.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I had to go to a PT after my knee surgery. She basically explained some exercises to me, made sure my form was proper and stood there and counted for me. I could easily have done all this on my own because I know proper form and whatnot. Since I was paying part of it that my insurance didn't cover, I told her I only wanted to see her every other week so she could give me new exercises to do and then I'd do them for 6 sessions or so and see her again.

Alwayslast

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
VA
If you have edema and effusion(swelling), then treatments along with the rehab can help you. Especially if insurance pays for it, at least give it a try.

DirtyBlonde

Chimp
Oct 18, 2006
Milford, CT
If you have edema and effusion(swelling), then treatments along with the rehab can help you. Especially if insurance pays for it, at least give it a try.
The treatments will help with the healing process even if there's no presence of swelling.
Plus going to PT keeps you honest. I stopped doing my knee rehab exercises at home once I stopped going to PT. I'm also not running only biking and the other cardio machines in the gym. No weights either...the bike is enough right now. Good luck!