Quantcast

Public indecency and its correlation with the Gay lifestyle...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
One of Nashville's more popular MTB trails currently has something of a problem. It seems as if the gay community views this chunk of public land a little differently than the average outdoor enthusiast. That is to say.... they go and **** in the woods instead of ride bikes, swim, fly model airplanes, race the bmx track or any of the other stuff there. The "problem" in question is so bad that public indecency signs have been put all over the property as a reminder (to no avail) and recent police stings have nabbed several of the perps (huh huh) in action.
I understand this is also not a problem endemic to Nashville area trails, but a pretty common thing on public lands across the country. Its a pretty wierd feeling to be getting ready for a ride, and see 9 dudes in cars just sitting there staring at all the riders hoping for...well...whatever it is they want. I once saw to dudes go into a Port A John down there for chrissakes....that's heinous.
Just so you all dont think Im nuts, I linked this trail review which highlights some of the issue.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-tennessee/trail/PRD_170298_4578crx.aspx

Now, debate something please.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Anyone ever mention you have repressed homosexual written all over you?

You seem like you must spend more time thinking about gay sex than Elton John and George Michael combined...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
for the sake of it, lets say, there is a correlation... that gays are more likely than non-gays to do "indecent things in public".

so what???????????

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
for the sake of it, lets say, there is a correlation... that gays are more likely than non-gays to do "indecent things in public".

so what???????????
A few things really, but for starters, lets say first that uh.....its gross and uh....INDECENT. Not to mention UNSAFE for AIDS sake to find random partners at rest stops and state parks and INDECENT for kids that use the park to see and well...maybe you get the point now???? Its just a bad practice all around.

But without "offending" anyone....how do you approach such a problem without the ACLU blowing sweet same-sex kisses into your ear?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Dood! They do it (literally) here too! They are always sitting around in their cars and looking around. Sometimes another car will roll up and they will go walking into the woods together. One of my friends came across 2 dudes getting freaky in the middle of a freakin trail! heinous stuff right there...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
BurlyShirley said:
But without "offending" anyone....how do you approach such a problem without the ACLU blowing sweet same-sex kisses into your ear?
Just tell them you don't want people f*cking in the woods, whether they are gay or straight.I think that no matter what, it will get painted as an issue of homophobia though.

This sort of behavior was an issue a year or so back at one of the trailheads in the Boston metro area; it was cited as the reason to close one of the rest areas on I89 in Vermont.

There's a whole range of behavior that I regard as aberrant - getting drunk and obnoxious, riding four wheelers, dumping trash or jacked deer carcases at trailheads, just about anything about the gangsta culture, starting disastrous wars in the middle east. Some are more worth bitching about than others.

Find another place to ride and get over it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
A few things really, but for starters, lets say first that uh.....its gross and uh....INDECENT. Not to mention UNSAFE for AIDS sake to find random partners at rest stops and state parks and INDECENT for kids that use the park to see and well...maybe you get the point now???? Its just a bad practice all around.

well yeah, that political correctness is a POS sometimes...but i think society is better with it than without...

i think the best approach would be banning the activity (which i´d say every group would support) without mentioning any group in particular.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
BurlyShirley said:
So do you want to ban bars and nightclubs too?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ridetoofast said:
its a fairly subversive channel and i certainly wouldn't let my kids watch it at home...of course you can't control what they do outside of the home but they sure as fvck wouldn't watch it at home
Do you censor them from your mouth?

Look, here's the deal. There is virtually no mammalian libido as powerful as that of the homosexual male. Having several gay friends throughout my life as well as being a house music little rave kid in Atlanta during college, this is just something I learned. It's just the way it is. So the existence of hookup spots for the casual pokey pokey is just one of those side effects.

If it's a problem, just start hanging up some of the KKK fliers I know you have access to around the area. I really do think that might work.

I don't necessarily want to come accross two men doing hydraluic research anymore than you do but at least I realized it's usually consensual and pales in comparison to the hetero gang raping that goes on in frat houses.

Try a ban on tank tops in the county.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
kidwoo said:
Do you censor them from your mouth?

Look, here's the deal. There is virtually no mammalian libido as powerful as that of the homosexual male. Having several gay friends throughout my life as well as being a house music little rave kid in Atlanta during college, this is just something I learned. It's just the way it is. So the existence of hookup spots for the casual pokey pokey is just one of those side effects.

If it's a problem, just start hanging up some of the KKK fliers I know you have access to around the area. I really do think that might work.

I don't necessarily want to come accross two men doing hydraluic research anymore than you do but at least I realized it's usually consensual and pales in comparison to the hetero gang raping that goes on in frat houses.

Try a ban on tank tops in the county.

so let me get this straight...

in your warped sense of reality im into the kkk because you have gay friends?

its OK that they cant reign in their libido so hyrdraulic adventures in public are OK? are they not adults with reasoning capabilities and therefore able to see that normal people don't have random sex with strangers in public?

wow thats fan-fvcking-tastic logic.

i have enormous lust for bike parts that i cant afford, since this lust is so strong i can just go steal something from the bike shop and thats ok because i really, really, really, want to do it and just cant restrain myself :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So i just have to ask burly..would it still be an issue if it was dudes pickin up chicks at the trail head and bangin' in the woods?

Cause you know..then I'd have to agree. Doin it in plain view in a public recreation area isn't proper...be it hetero or gay.

I don't see why being gay is a big part of this story...having no sense of decorum on the other hand probably is.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Tenchiro said:
Just tell them you don't want people f*cking in the woods, whether they are gay or straight.I think that no matter what, it will get painted as an issue of homophobia though.
That's funny. I just read an article in the NY Times about a Queens Park which is a hook-up spot for gay men.

Not to stereotype, but there is predilection in the gay community for anonymous, casual sexual encounters (just watch a episode of Queer as Folk). Not that there is anything wrong with it, but there is a difference between two guys holding hands versus having a sexual encounter in a public place.

While hetreo's will also have sex in public places, a park won't be where women will be waiting for unknown guys to show up (if there is such a park, please PM me).

New York is a "diverse" city, and despite kids and families playing nearby, there were no major complaints in this park. Obviously Tennessee is a more conversative state, so I can understand their objections. Frankly, I think timing is the key. If this was done at night, no one should care, but the daytime is an inappropriate time.

Or they should open the gay bars at noontime.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
P.S. I read over the mtbr review. Kids who are worried about "homos staring at them", should watch 100 episodes of Queer as Folk and "Philadelphia" and shut their mouths.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Are we fighting about whether people should shag randomly, or are we fighting about gay dudes shagging randomly.

Either way if you see it happening make a phone call to the police and then move on down the trail.

Is this unreasonable?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Tenchiro said:
Don't homosexuals in Nashville have apartments?!? Are these gay hobo's or something?
LOL............too funny..............

We have the same problem here in North Little Rock at Burns park (the 2nd largest urban park in the US after central park) at several of the trail heads and parking lots in the park there's lots of "activity". I did a road ride there this past Saturday and where I parked must have been the used condom dumping ground...........ick.

I think one of the attractions for Burns park is that all the roadies ride through there in their lycra...........it must be like the beach for hetero dudes checking out chicks in bikinis.......

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
sanjuro said:
P.S. I read over the mtbr review. Kids who are worried about "homos staring at them", should watch 100 episodes of Queer as Folk and "Philadelphia" and shut their mouths.
I guess I don't get the fear of being checked out. I get checked out by gay dudes all the time (Mrs. Andyman says it's because I'm thin and neat...LOL) at the mall, and when I'm doing a road ride by the gay roller bladers. It doesn't bother me, I take it as a compliment.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
valve bouncer said:
Yeah, MTV is about as subversive as a church knitting circle.
Yeah.......... :rolleyes:

ridetoofast - with all due respect I find it a bit interesting and yet hypocritical that you say MTV is "subversive" and you wouldn't let your kids watch it yet you drop the "fvck" word on here all the time........I don't get it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ridetoofast said:
i have enormous lust for bike parts that i cant afford, since this lust is so strong i can just go steal something from the bike shop and thats ok because i really, really, really, want to do it and just cant restrain myself :rolleyes:
almost, but not quite. i take it yr bike shop wouldn't be a consenting partner in that scenario, would it?

i side w/ BS on this one; having lived near the Fens and ridden in the Fells, i've seen more of this 1st hand than i cared to. i can understand the dynamics of cruising, but it doesn't make it right.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
From The Onion:

Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Years

April 25, 2001 | Issue 37•15

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA–The mainstream acceptance of gays and lesbians, a hard-won civil-rights victory gained through decades of struggle against prejudice and discrimination, was set back at least 50 years Saturday in the wake of the annual Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade.

Participants in Saturday's Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, which helped change straight people's tolerant attitudes toward gays.

"I'd always thought gays were regular people, just like you and me, and that the stereotype of homosexuals as hedonistic, sex-crazed deviants was just a destructive myth," said mother of four Hannah Jarrett, 41, mortified at the sight of 17 tanned and oiled boys cavorting in jock straps to a throbbing techno beat on a float shaped like an enormous phallus. "Boy, oh, boy, was I wrong."

The parade, organized by the Los Angeles Gay And Lesbian And Bisexual And Transvestite And Transgender Alliance (LAGALABATATA), was intended to "promote acceptance, tolerance, and equality for the city's gay community." Just the opposite, however, was accomplished, as the event confirmed the worst fears of thousands of non-gay spectators, cementing in their minds a debauched and distorted image of gay life straight out of the most virulent right-wing hate literature.

Among the parade sights and sounds that did inestimable harm to the gay-rights cause: a group of obese women in leather biker outfits passing out clitoris-shaped lollipops to horrified onlookers; a man in military uniform leading a submissive masochist, clad in diapers and a baby bonnet, around on a dog leash; several Hispanic dancers in rainbow wigs and miniskirts performing "humping" motions on a mannequin dressed as the Pope; and a dozen gyrating drag queens in see-through dresses holding penis-shaped beer bottles that appeared to spurt ejaculation-like foam when shaken and poured onto passersby.

Timothy Orosco, 51, a local Walgreens manager whose store is on the parade route, changed his attitude toward gays as a result of the event.

Members of the Laguna Beach Leatherdaddy Association make their final pre-march preparations.

"They kept chanting things like, 'We're here, we're queer, get used to it!' and 'Hey, hey, we're gay, we're not going to go away!'" Orosco said. "All I can say is, I was used to it, but now, although I'd never felt this way before, I wish they would go away."

Allison Weber, 43, an El Segundo marketing consultant, also had her perceptions and assumptions about gays challenged by the parade.

"My understanding was that gay people are just like everybody else–decent, hard-working people who care about their communities and have loving, committed relationships," Weber said. "But, after this terrifying spectacle, I don't want them teaching my kids or living in my neighborhood."

The parade's influence extended beyond L.A.'s borders, altering the attitudes of straight people across America. Footage of the event was featured on telecasts of The 700 Club as "proof of the sin-steeped world of homosexuality." A photo spread in Monday's USA Today chronicled many of the event's vulgar displays–understood by gays to be tongue-in-cheek "high camp"–which horrified previously tolerant people from coast to coast.

Dr. Henry Thorne, a New York University history professor who has written several books about the gay-rights movement, explained the misunderstanding.

Participants in Saturday's Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, which helped change straight people's tolerant attitudes toward gays.

"After centuries of oppression as an 'invisible' segment of society, gays, emboldened by the 1969 Stonewall uprising, took to the streets in the early '70s with an 'in-your-face' attitude. Confronting the worst prejudices of a world that didn't accept them, they fought back against these prejudices with exaggeration and parody, reclaiming their enemies' worst stereotypes about them and turning them into symbols of gay pride," Thorne said. "Thirty years later, gays have won far greater acceptance in the world at large, but they keep doing this stuff anyway."

"Mostly, I think, because it's really fun," Thorne added.

The Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, Thorne noted, is part of a decades-old gay-rights tradition. But, for mainstream heterosexuals unfamiliar with irony and the reclamation of stereotypes for the purpose of exploding them, the parade resembled an invasion of grotesque outer-space mutants, bent on the destruction of the human race.

"I have a cousin who's a gay, and he seemed like a decent enough guy to me," said Iowa City, IA, resident Russ Linder, in Los Angeles for a weekend sales seminar. "Now, thanks to this parade, I realize what a freak he's been all along. Gays are all sick, immoral perverts."

Parade organizers vowed to make changes in the wake of the negative reaction among heterosexuals.

"I knew it. I said we needed 100 dancers on the 'Show Us Your Ass' float, but everybody insisted that 50 would be enough," said Lady Labia, spokesperson for LAGALABATATA. "Next year, we're really going to give those breeders something to look at."

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ridetoofast said:
so let me get this straight...

in your warped sense of reality im into the kkk because you have gay friends?:
Sorry. Should have specified. That was for burly surly, not you. I don't know where you live. I'm just on a mission to get posts from you that don't have four letter words in them.

ridetoofast said:
fan-fvcking-tastic logic.:
Darn.

ridetoofast said:
its OK that they cant reign in their libido so hyrdraulic adventures in public are OK? are they not adults with reasoning capabilities and therefore able to see that normal people don't have random sex with strangers in public?.:
You should read slower and try to see past the dark red color that seems to cover your eyes when you enter this forum. I never once said it was ok or that I approved. I even sympathized with burly's frustration by saying it's not something I would want around my trails either. I even then made fun of the gayness with the tank top comment.

Unless it's agelina jolie and jennifer connoly, I don't want to come across anyone doin it while I'm out for a bike ride.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I rather see lee lee sobieski and Kristin Kreuk.....

There are certain norms that society expects, I'm pretty liberal in the sex/nudity area but pretty conservative in the violence. I don't think it's O.K. for people to have sex in the middle of the trail, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Society in general agrees.

How do you explain to your four year old what they just saw? Sex is one of those things I think you have to choose the right time to talk to your children about, children are different and some are ready to hear about it at an early age, some aren't ready..ever.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, and in all seriousness, of course it's wrong to have sex in public outdoor spaces (at least routinely and en-masse...I'm sure most of us with any life whatsoever have pushed this boundary when young/on occasion), but as far as hooking up with anonymous strangers, I think most hetro males would be delighted if there was a park nearby in which women willingly went to have anonymous hookups.

Now, I can imagine a lot of the gay men involved in this behavior claiming that 'the anonymous hookups are a reaction to oppression and lack of societal acceptance of their way of life,' forcing them to express themselves in this furtive manner rather than have a chance 'normal' life, dating, and relations, but I think that excuse doesn't hold water all that much anymore. We're not in the 1800s or 60s or 70s, and there are plenty of ways for people of all stripes to meet and keep partners within norms of societal acceptance and personal discretion.

But the anon-hookup scene remains a relic of the gay past, which lots of them are (understandably, if you consider the hetro equivalent) loathe to leave behind. If I was used to meeting random women every other day and having tons of anonymous sex, I wouldn't want to lose that, either! You can decry it as 'decadent,' but face it...people like sex, in its anonymous/"fun" aspects as well as any deeper meanings you can ascribe to it/find in it.

That doesn't make it right for anyone, hetro or homo, to be exposing their sex life to you or your family in public, and they should be apprehended and prosecuted for it.

If a cop caught a teenage couple (or any couple, really, hetro or homo) having it out in a park, I'd probably expect him to issue a stern warning, embarrass the hell out of them, and let them go home...but if it was a place where such behavior had become a routine, endemic problem and a public nuisance, I'd expect (and demand, as a resident of the affected area) legal action. Prosecution IS a form of deterrence, and crimes, even minor ones, which affect public quality-of-life are to be taken seriously.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BurlyShirley said:
You mean the ones that allow sex in plain view of children? Then yes.
What nightclubs allow children in??

If there are children in nightclubs, there are a few problems precedent to their exposure to sex therein. Is this a Tenessee thing?

MD

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
MikeD said:
Oh, and in all seriousness, of course it's wrong to have sex in public outdoor spaces (at least routinely and en-masse...I'm sure most of us with any life whatsoever have pushed this boundary when young/on occasion), but as far as hooking up with anonymous strangers, I think most hetro males would be delighted if there was a park nearby in which women willingly went to have anonymous hookups.

Now, I can imagine a lot of the gay men involved in this behavior claiming that 'the anonymous hookups are a reaction to oppression and lack of societal acceptance of their way of life,' forcing them to express themselves in this furtive manner rather than have a chance 'normal' life, dating, and relations, but I think that excuse doesn't hold water all that much anymore. We're not in the 1800s or 60s or 70s, and there are plenty of ways for people of all stripes to meet and keep partners within norms of societal acceptance and personal discretion.

But the anon-hookup scene remains a relic of the gay past, which lots of them are (understandably, if you consider the hetro equivalent) loathe to leave behind. If I was used to meeting random women every other day and having tons of anonymous sex, I wouldn't want to lose that, either! You can decry it as 'decadent,' but face it...people like sex, in its anonymous/"fun" aspects as well as any deeper meanings you can ascribe to it/find in it.

That doesn't make it right for anyone, hetro or homo, to be exposing their sex life to you or your family in public, and they should be apprehended and prosecuted for it.

If a cop caught a teenage couple (or any couple, really, hetro or homo) having it out in a park, I'd probably expect him to issue a stern warning, embarrass the hell out of them, and let them go home...but if it was a place where such behavior had become a routine, endemic problem and a public nuisance, I'd expect (and demand, as a resident of the affected area) legal action. Prosecution IS a form of deterrence, and crimes, even minor ones, which affect public quality-of-life are to be taken seriously.

MD

well said...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
Yeah, MTV is about as subversive as a church knitting circle.
Subversive? Ha! It's the very embodiment of the global mass-culture that US policy has endorsed and seeks to extend...

MTV talks about 'rocking the vote' and seems to have trendy-lefty politics, but it's the very embodiment of what the right wants to spread around the world and profit from. And look at the political stance of the people who own the big mass-media companies...

MD

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
MikeD said:
If there are children in nightclubs, there are a few problems precedent to their exposure to sex therein. Is this a Tenessee thing?

MD
They don't worry about it in Tenessee too much. Most kids there get exposed to sex when dad gets drunk and forgets to take your aunt behind the curtain in the trailer...Not a bad system actually. Gets the sex and the drinking discussion taken care of in one shot.