Quantcast

Public Service Announcement: Pipeline tables

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
Just a heads up to anyone who has yet to hit the tables after the Pipeline drop and is planning on doing so. Make sure you check your speed (quite a bit), those tables send you higher and farther than the Lower dominions going the same speed.

Just letting everyone know so they don't make the same mistake as I.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
it's truen when you get on the lift and say... "hey lets do, Exodus to Tempest...." Do that RUN... when you change your mind last minute it always end's pretty bad... lol at least thats my experience... it's like thel "This is my last Run"..... ... :-)

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
it's truen when you get on the lift and say... "hey lets do, Exodus to Tempest...." Do that RUN... when you change your mind last minute it always end's pretty bad... lol at least thats my experience... it's like thel "This is my last Run"..... ... :-)
haha, it was exactly like that. I was riding with Fastbandit, we get on the lift, here's the conversation:

BK: "What do you think, last run of the day?"
FB: "Yeah since we're riding tomorrow we'll take it easy. You pick this time."
BK: "I dunno, let's do Monarch and see if the upper part of Waterboy is open, f not we'll take Careless Whisper."
FB: "Sounds good."

jump to where we are gearing up getting ready to get off the lift:

FB: "I wonder if Pipeline is open today?"
BK: "You want to go check it out?"
FB: "Yeah."

Worst idea ever.

what happened... do tell.......................
It's real simple, we check out the drop, doesn't look too bad. The tables afterwards look about the same length as the last lower dominion, so I just kept that in the back of my mind. Speedy went first, waited for him to go off the drop, didn't hear any screaming so I went. Hit the drop a little fast, but on the transition, brake checked a bit to get my speed to around what I do to clear the last dominion, hit the jump look down and realize that I'm up there. So I'm trying to spot the landing and as I'm over the landing I'm still a good 3-4 feet in the air (The details will need to be filled in, it was probably less). I know I've totally overshot the landing and the last time I did that and held onto the bike I destroyed both my arms, so I decided to ditch the bike and let out a girly scream. Well I woke up on the ground not having much of a clue where I was (again details of the fall will need to be filled in), turns out I re fractured my right wrist and destroyed the Navicular bone in my left foot. Surgery is likely needed on my foot so I'm going to be out most of the season.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
damn dude... sorry to hear, man... heal up... i'm just "starting" to get back on my bike due to a shoulder injury..... AC joint Separation... been a full month, and slowly getting back into it, did only 3 runs (could have done maybe 3 more) last weekend... but again, taking super easy, limiting my self to Greenhorn IX alpine.. u know....

HEAL UP man!

I'll Quote my Buddy Marc T. (aka mini-mac) "Listen to your Doctor's"..... heal up!

FastBandit

Chimp
Jul 4, 2007
Northern, NJ
You did ditch your bike mid air...about 5 feet past the transition of the table. I'm not quite sure how you broke your foot though when your head took most of the impact! You hit the ground so hard your helmet flew off.

ride4fun

Monkey
May 23, 2008
Long Island
Happened to me too 2 weeks ago.

I borrowed a friends bike - worst thing I could've done. I took the drop like always, but after i came down, his brakes weren't tight like mine and I was going way too fast. I shot up without the bike, like about 10 feet on top of the table, did a helicopter spin and landed on the rocks on the side. I bruised my foot, knee, and cracked my carbon fiber helmet - blacked out for a few, and continued to ride most of the day - with my head hurting like crazy.

I learned something that day. I should've took it easy with a different bike - I never rode it to get a feel for it, thus, taking that run on the first ride. I also appreciated my bike much more and vowed never to ride another (my fork is being repaired do to 2 punctured holes on the legs from the lift jamming up on top - it slowed down way to much and my wheel got jammed - i wasn't even paying attention :imstupid:)

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
haha, it was exactly like that. I was riding with Fastbandit, we get on the lift, here's the conversation:

BK: "What do you think, last run of the day?"
FB: "Yeah since we're riding tomorrow we'll take it easy. You pick this time."
BK: "I dunno, let's do Monarch and see if the upper part of Waterboy is open, f not we'll take Careless Whisper."
FB: "Sounds good."

jump to where we are gearing up getting ready to get off the lift:

FB: "I wonder if Pipeline is open today?"
BK: "You want to go check it out?"
FB: "Yeah."

Worst idea ever.

It's real simple, we check out the drop, doesn't look too bad. The tables afterwards look about the same length as the last lower dominion, so I just kept that in the back of my mind. Speedy went first, waited for him to go off the drop, didn't hear any screaming so I went. Hit the drop a little fast, but on the transition, brake checked a bit to get my speed to around what I do to clear the last dominion, hit the jump look down and realize that I'm up there. So I'm trying to spot the landing and as I'm over the landing I'm still a good 3-4 feet in the air (The details will need to be filled in, it was probably less). I know I've totally overshot the landing and the last time I did that and held onto the bike I destroyed both my arms, so I decided to ditch the bike and let out a girly scream. Well I woke up on the ground not having much of a clue where I was (again details of the fall will need to be filled in), turns out I re fractured my right wrist and destroyed the Navicular bone in my left foot. Surgery is likely needed on my foot so I'm going to be out most of the season.
WOW! sorry dude, that is harsh. I'm supper bummed for you. I'm not a fan of that table & that hip isn't that cool either. The pipeline is good though. Heal up man!

GoBigStudios

Chimp
May 27, 2009
I busted out a few spokes over shooting that one too. I haven't hit is since. I wish there was a pipe jump just like the trail to the right but just a bit smaller to prep me for that but I guess diversity is better. Heal up!

Dave - I had a separated shoulder too and don't be afraid to work that out as soon as doc says its okay. My strength came back and pain subsided after I started weight training pretty quickly.