Quantcast

Pulled the trigger on a new road bike today

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've been thinking about a new road bike for a while and put down a deposit today on a Trek Madone 6.2 with the 'H3' sizing. I went through the full fit process on Friday since my measurements are all out of whack and I wanted to make sure I bought a bike that fits me. My legs fit a 60 frame and the rest of my body fits a 56. So the shop owner said a 58 Madone in H3 sizing would work for my long legs.

I walked out of the shop Friday with the 5.2 on my mind, but after discussions with the wife, the shop owner, and a little research, I decided to go with the 6.2.

Color is "rage red" (one of four Project One choices that doesn't cost extra)
Bontrager XXX Lite fork
Ultegra drivetrain (standard double)
Bontrager Race X Lite Clincher wheels
Race X Lite stem
Race X Lite handlebar
Cane Creek IS2 Carbon headset

I went ahead and got a Bontrager DuoTrap Node 1 computer and sensor too since it was only about $20 more than the Cateye computer I had my eye on. And of course I needed a couple of carbon bottle cages. :rolleyes: :D

Current bike is a 2002 Trek 2000...I've had it about 10 years and put around 4,000 miles on it. I'm going from a triple to a standard double. ETA is about three weeks. I can't wait! :weee:

(sorry to interrupt the TdF talk)

splat

Nam I am
New Bike Woooo Hoooo

I've been thinking about a new road bike for a while and put down a deposit today on a Trek Madone 6.2 with the 'H3' sizing. I went through the full fit process on Friday since my measurements are all out of whack and I wanted to make sure I bought a bike that fits me. My legs fit a 60 frame and the rest of my body fits a 56. So the shop owner said a 58 Madone in H3 sizing would work for my long legs.
cool 58 CM is my Size!

I walked out of the shop Friday with the 5.2 on my mind, but after discussions with the wife, the shop owner, and a little research, I decided to go with the 6.2.

Color is "rage red" (one of four Project One choices that doesn't cost extra)
Bontrager XXX Lite fork
Ultegra drivetrain (standard double)
Bontrager Race X Lite Clincher wheels
Race X Lite stem
Race X Lite handlebar
Cane Creek IS2 Carbon headset

I went ahead and got a Bontrager DuoTrap Node 1 computer and sensor too since it was only about $20 more than the Cateye computer I had my eye on. And of course I needed a couple of carbon bottle cages. :rolleyes: :D

Current bike is a 2002 Trek 2000...I've had it about 10 years and put around 4,000 miles on it.
a 2002 that is 10 years old would make it 2012 ! Math FAIL !!

4000 Miles in 10 years ? thats 400 Miles a Years -- Fail!! ( or is it anothe Math Fail ? )

I'm going from a triple to a standard double. ETA is about three weeks. I can't wait! :weee:

(sorry to interrupt the TdF talk)
Good for you , real Road riders don't need no stinkin Tripple!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
a 2002 that is 10 years old would make it 2012 ! Math FAIL !!

4000 Miles in 10 years ? thats 400 Miles a Years -- Fail!! ( or is it anothe Math Fail ? )
I bought the old bike in late 2001...so 2002 model year.

I've put a large chunk of those miles on within the last two years. For an entry level roadie, the bike did its job for 10 years. BTW, forgot to mention that the shop has offered me $400 in trade in. SCORE. I've got a friend who might be interested. If he passes, I'll take the shop up on the trade in offer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It gets old walking around on the backside of my wrists

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bike Shop Owner just told me ETA is 16 days.

I love that shop. The owner was truly enthusiastic during the entire process and you can tell he just loves what he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you implying that they got rid of the spokes using x-rays?! Wow!

:D

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I've done way over 4000 miles this year if that makes me better than you? :D

Congrats on the new bike! That Trek in red looks great!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Far off into the future perhaps. Seeing what I'm paying for this bike, it's going to be with me for the long haul.
By long haul I hope you mean you will ride it more than a few hunnert miles a year.

The bigger question is what kind of microwaves come with the bike and can it fit a 3" Gazzalodi?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MY NEW BIKE IS IN! MY NEW BIKE IS IN!! :weee:

So much for a 16 day wait. I feel cheated out of the 16 day anticipation period. :(

On my way to the LBS as soon as the wife gets home.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This bike is friggin awesome. It's everything I had hoped it would be. So darn smooth, light and fast. I put on about 90 miles over the weekend. The shifting needs to be fine tuned as can happen with new bikes. I also need to lower the seat just a hair, as evidenced in the third pic below. I am thrilled with the bike so far though.

:picsstfu:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is this a joke?

On my ride today a random lady rider pulled up next to me and started chatting. After a few minutes she started making fun of my bike. To avoid further ridicule I dropped her like a rock. Felt pretty manly.

Nice bike BTW.