Quantcast

Pulling a Toshi and buying cars

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
also stoney. kia telluride? really? don't you know better than to get a first gen vehicle?
10/100 warranty is the fallback there. @Toshi madfe a really good point about looking at getting another extended warranty from the CU. If we can pull it off, we might keep it. otherwise the Highlander/Ascent are point. I still an pushing for the minivan though. It's the most logical and effective for what she wants the car to do.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Kia Stinger GT2 looks fun, but all the reviews say go rwd for fun. I see there is no manual option, either. While the Stinger brings a lot to the table, it is no ///M.

The New AMG GT Pro would be nice, though.

<edit> my car lacks a back seat, but cost me $14k and has gone just over 100k miles in 5 years (178k total) and has cost me $3k in repairs ($2k was clutch parts and 12 hours labor).

You could find a Pontiac G8 or GTO and do a Holden conversion to remove the Pontiac logos.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The Kia Stinger GT2 looks fun, but all the reviews say go rwd for fun. I see there is no manual option, either. While the Stinger brings a lot to the table, it is no ///M.

The New AMG GT Pro would be nice, though.
AHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

AWD is my go to if I get another car. We spend enough time in the mountain during the winter that I need 4wd/AWD. I think I'm just going to say fuck it, do the necessary repairs to keep the M alive for an extended period (with the rod bearings still sitting out there), keeping it and the Forester. Let her pick out her car, then hard line on the "I want a new kitchen" shit, because fuck that noise

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A surprising % of vehicles upside down in the ditch here are 4WD/AWD. Probably somewhat due to the geographical ubiquity of 4WD/AWD in CO.
But also because many people don't do winter tires, figuring having a Subaru is enough in and of itself.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But she'll have the JX or something comparable and big. And AWD. So why must you have it, too?

Keep the M and the Forester already.
She scares me driving in the dry. I'm giving her every advantage in the snow: tires and AWD.

My plan is to just keep both at this point and change the insurance over to Haggerty or the like.

Here too. That's the point of my post... I blame the false sense of security...
But also because many people don't do winter tires, figuring having a Subaru is enough in and of itself.
This. Inherently a RWD with snows is better than AWD with all-season, because traction for turning and braking. AWD is about accelerating.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm not the one with a new kitchen.

The only counter I gave her was that we should just close off the dining room and turn it into a room sized pantry, then move the dining room into the front room which is unfurnished. The look she gave me was amazing bordering between disgust and terror.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not the one with a new kitchen.

The only counter I gave her was that we should just close off the dining room and turn it into a room sized pantry, then move the dining room into the front room which is unfurnished. The look she gave me was amazing bordering between disgust and terror.
///Negotiations

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My wife just got an Ascent. AMA.

I like the stinger, but it feels decidedly Kia. Not even "Genesis", but Kia with leather. I think you might have a hard time coming from a BMW. The suspension lacks finesse too- it feels pretty crashy over broken pavement. That being said, it's a very fast car and it's pretty big inside. I couldn't get over just how much you pay for a V6 in any format (for a fuckin' Kia) so I didn't get one. Gas mileage blows, too.

As for AWD v RWD/FWD- I totally disagree. AWD is a game changer even with all season tires. Yes it's "acceleration", but keep in mind you accelerate while you turn, so being able to turn comfortably is the biggest difference I've experienced. With FWD you just go straight into the pole, with RWD your tail end hits the pole, and with AWD you can see the pole while you hit it and therefore potentially avoid it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like the stinger, but it feels decidedly Kia. Not even "Genesis", but Kia with leather. I think you might have a hard time coming from a BMW. The suspension lacks finesse too- it feels pretty crashy over broken pavement. That being said, it's a very fast car and it's pretty big inside. I couldn't get over just how much you pay for a V6 in any format (for a fuckin' Kia) so I didn't get one. Gas mileage blows, too.
I'd still pick the 4 banger RWD manual G70 over the Stinger. But I think I am keeping our MT Beetle alive for as long as I can.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I get the desire for AWD in CO. The winters here are wicked mild, so the Silverado with all seasons does fine (we all know what happened when I tried to skate in my first Vette :rofl: )

Keep the ///M for sure, that would be hard to replace.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Love it so far. It is the ultimate car for "people who refuse to buy minivans but probably should". There is room for 7 (we have the captains chairs). The back seats are cramped, but we have child seats in the middle so they could probably move forward and give the rear passengers some room. Car is quiet on the highway with unintrusive engine speeds and adequate passing power. Infotainment is nice- android auto is arguably better than carplay, but integration was a breeze and the touch screen is pretty great. I did not like the lane keep assist- it bounces too much from one lane to the other and I felt like I was always fighting it to just go straight. The cool thing is that you can turn it off but keep lane departure warning on, which lets you make the corrections. Rear ventillation is nice for the kiddos, but there's no rear light control (in my alfa, I can press a button to turn on the lights above the kiddos heads, in the subaru you have to reach back which is impossible- probably not a problem for older kids). What else...I don't love the throttle calibration...I feel like a small dab lurches the car forward, but I also don't drive it often so I may just not be used to it. I don't feel like the CVT is as good as the toyota hybrids we had before...the car seems to go a totally irrelevant speed to my foot position, then when I correct it all of a sudden it's go time or nap time. The interior is super durable but not cheap like our toyotas, so it feels high quality. Driving position is way up there but it doesn't feel like a large car. Radio is good, but it seems tuned to be kind of bassy rather than well balanced. Should be fine if you're listening to tailor swift or LMFAO

Any specific questions? We got the midrange model premium plus the convenience package which add heated seats and power rear liftgate. Seems to be a great package with nothing missing. I hate it when you need to spend a ton of money to get power seats and shit like that. It's the wifey's car but I drive it on long trips and occasional target runs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mrs. Stoney still would be better off with an AWD Sienna, but stoney can only win one battle per year and apparently the M is it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Love it so far. It is the ultimate car for "people who refuse to buy minivans but probably should". There is room for 7 (we have the captains chairs). The back seats are cramped, but we have child seats in the middle so they could probably move forward and give the rear passengers some room. Car is quiet on the highway with unintrusive engine speeds and adequate passing power. Infotainment is nice- android auto is arguably better than carplay, but integration was a breeze and the touch screen is pretty great. I did not like the lane keep assist- it bounces too much from one lane to the other and I felt like I was always fighting it to just go straight. The cool thing is that you can turn it off but keep lane departure warning on, which lets you make the corrections. Rear ventillation is nice for the kiddos, but there's no rear light control (in my alfa, I can press a button to turn on the lights above the kiddos heads, in the subaru you have to reach back which is impossible- probably not a problem for older kids). What else...I don't love the throttle calibration...I feel like a small dab lurches the car forward, but I also don't drive it often so I may just not be used to it. I don't feel like the CVT is as good as the toyota hybrids we had before...the car seems to go a totally irrelevant speed to my foot position, then when I correct it all of a sudden it's go time or nap time. The interior is super durable but not cheap like our toyotas, so it feels high quality. Driving position is way up there but it doesn't feel like a large car. Radio is good, but it seems tuned to be kind of bassy rather than well balanced. Should be fine if you're listening to tailor swift or LMFAO

Any specific questions? We got the midrange model premium plus the convenience package which add heated seats and power rear liftgate. Seems to be a great package with nothing missing. I hate it when you need to spend a ton of money to get power seats and shit like that. It's the wifey's car but I drive it on long trips and occasional target runs.
we'd be looking at the captains chairs too as an option. i agree with your assessment on the lane keep assist, our outback does the same thing. our outback is the limited (top tier).