Quantcast

Pulling a Toshi and buying cars

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We're still looking at buying Wifey a new car because her Infiniti is less reliable than the M. We've been looking at the Subaru Ascent and the new Kia Telluride because they are both really damn nice for their price and reliable and/or have killer warranties.

Wifey is still pushing me to sell the M, but I want a fun car, because I want a fun car. I've been looking at the Kia Stinger for a while because it's AWD, a hatch, and fast/fun. I still have the Subaru, so selling that off with the M would cover 3/5 of the expense of the Stinger. I'd also pick up their "competition discount" for switching from the BMW to the Kia. So I get an extra $2k off, which is pretty nice.

The Telluride is also covered by the "competition discount", but only for $1k. Still puts the price in line 1-1 with the Subaru with more spec and a better warranty.

What's ridiculous about this whole situation is with the value of all of the cars, I can sell and walk in with one car effectively fully paid for and then finance the other (which is effectively where we start, just down one car).

The question I have about this whole situation is when it comes to buying multiple cars at once. Has anybody done this? What amount of leverage do you have? We're looking at buying their two highest model cars, at the highest level and second highest level. Wifey's mom is also looking at buying a car and we're looking at a Kia or Subaru for her too, so there is a chance we might be able to lever a third too...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There’s only so much they can discount regardless of how many you’re buying but moving a couple units may inspire them to negotiate harder for your biz.

Offer invoice + split the holdback + any incentives. That’s generally a fair deal.

Email the specs you want plus your offer to the fleet or internet sales manager.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So all 3 cars would go and 2 would replace ‘em? Why do they have to be new?

I have 3 car notes at the moment. DCU extended their best advertised rates at the origination date for each to me. Total loan balance is a small fraction of gross income, though, so no debt to income issues.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
There isnt much room to haggle when it comes to new cars (unless you are buying low demand old-stock).

Have you checked the Mazda CX9? I have just received one as a company car, and its pretty sweet. I checked all the options, and found the CX9 to be a great value for the money.
The interior is pretty much german-entry level.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Cousin Karen just sold her Kizashi Racing Suzuki car for 8 grand. Granted thats in Canadian $ Wtf still the same...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
We're still looking at buying Wifey a new car because her Infiniti is less reliable than the M. We've been looking at the Subaru Ascent and the new Kia Telluride because they are both really damn nice for their price and reliable and/or have killer warranties.

Wifey is still pushing me to sell the M, but I want a fun car, because I want a fun car. I've been looking at the Kia Stinger for a while because it's AWD, a hatch, and fast/fun. I still have the Subaru, so selling that off with the M would cover 3/5 of the expense of the Stinger. I'd also pick up their "competition discount" for switching from the BMW to the Kia. So I get an extra $2k off, which is pretty nice.

The Telluride is also covered by the "competition discount", but only for $1k. Still puts the price in line 1-1 with the Subaru with more spec and a better warranty.

What's ridiculous about this whole situation is with the value of all of the cars, I can sell and walk in with one car effectively fully paid for and then finance the other (which is effectively where we start, just down one car).

The question I have about this whole situation is when it comes to buying multiple cars at once. Has anybody done this? What amount of leverage do you have? We're looking at buying their two highest model cars, at the highest level and second highest level. Wifey's mom is also looking at buying a car and we're looking at a Kia or Subaru for her too, so there is a chance we might be able to lever a third too...
you got kids.....buy a used midrange beater minivan......beater used midrange beater sedan.....keep the ////////M in the garage.

buy new car smell christmas trees to hang from the rear view mirrors.

save the money for when the next time you have a for real next level brain fart/seizure....

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you got kids.....buy a used midrange beater minivan......beater used midrange beater sedan.....keep the ////////M in the garage.

buy new car smell christmas trees to hang from the rear view mirrors.

save the money for when the next time you have a for real next level brain fart/seizure....
I've lost the minivan argument so many times I've given up on it. She will purposely make her life more difficult with loading kids, elderly parents, getting in and out in a tight garage, etc. - all just to avoid having a minivan. I think they are fucking brilliant and she refuses to acknowledge the "mommy van" despite having two kids and a dog.

Then again, she doesn't need a vehicle that large... A 5-seater hatch is plenty big for us and if we need more we can drive two cars. But again, logic is losing this battle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seriously get them to quote trade in values on your current fleet and bring those data to her.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I've lost the minivan argument so many times I've given up on it. She will purposely make her life more difficult with loading kids, elderly parents, getting in and out in a tight garage, etc. - all just to avoid having a minivan. I think they are fucking brilliant and she refuses to acknowledge the "mommy van" despite having two kids and a dog.

Then again, she doesn't need a vehicle that large... A 5-seater hatch is plenty big for us and if we need more we can drive two cars. But again, logic is losing this battle.
Minivans are awesome.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Minivans are awesome.
Agreed.

The Sienna is going to be refreshed in a year or so. TNG platform, rumored hybrid only drivetrains, and historically with AWD. Toyota PHEV AWD would get me to ditch FCA while keeping those awesome sliding doors.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Holy crap, I might have opened the minivan door. Her mom struggles getting into her existing car because of the height. Anything she is looking at is just as bad, which is a serious problem. Only solution? Minivan.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Holy crap, I might have opened the minivan door. Her mom struggles getting into her existing car because of the height. Anything she is looking at is just as bad, which is a serious problem. Only solution? Minivan.
Jessica would love to give Sarah a tour of ours. She loves it and demands sliding doors for anything that might replace it. $12.5k off whatever you negotiate (we got $1k below invoice and even better is possible) sweetens the deal, too.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Jessica would love to give Sarah a tour of ours. She loves it and demands sliding doors for anything that might replace it. $12.5k off whatever you negotiate (we got $1k below invoice and even better is possible) sweetens the deal, too.[/QUOTE]
How?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
$12.5k off for the PHEV Pacifica Hybrid at tax time. $7.5k Fed, $5k CO.