Quantcast

pump park?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by runnin12s, Feb 7, 2008.

1. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hey I know this isn't diablo related but seems to be that most of you guys have some common knowlede of this. I have just received authorization from our local board to build a pump park / tiny jump park at our local park (too many parks) I bought the book from Leelikesbikes.com and have read as much as I can about the subject but never being on a pump park and never seeing one in person any information or pictures people could forward to me would be helpful. Thanks

#1 -   Feb 7, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. FOXROX

FOXROX Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    were is this park? nj?

#2 -   Feb 7, 2008
  3. SPINTECK

SPINTECK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0

That's awesome. Guys like you make more of a difference than a lot of pros and companies. You may want to do a little filming of your process or at the very least take pictures, including town officials and contractor and such.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have never build one before.

#3 -   Feb 7, 2008
  4. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The park is located in Wavelry, NY. It is about 2.5-3 hrs northwest of diablo. There will be pics and video taken as progress begins. This is going to be the first "legal" location I've built.

#4 -   Feb 7, 2008
  5. jcook90

jcook90 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    We tried a "legal" method here, actually presented to the big head trail committee/land trust but a bunch of the women there hated bikers. So, back to illegal stuff.

#5 -   Feb 7, 2008
  6. V-Dub GTI

V-Dub GTI Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

It doesnt have to be legal to be fun...

#6 -   Feb 7, 2008
  7. AzToJrse

AzToJrse Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    thats great, too bad its not closer to me. i have ridden a few pump "tracks" back in AZ, tons of fun. i know there are actually people out there that design these tracks proffessionally, ive seen some designs somewhere on a forum,will try to find, also i just saw a few weeks ago a town called plainfield il. suburb of chicago(my home town:) ) is doing a very similar operation at a town park with pumptrack,dirt jumps, skills area, ect. i will try to dig up some info and get that to you.

#7 -   Feb 8, 2008
  8. IAMAPRO

IAMAPRO Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Wow, and I though you were full of it. Congratats, and my I suggest you visit Stowe, VT and Highland, NH. Stowe is a public track like the one you mention, and Highland is private.

Highbridge in NYC also has a pump track, but I am not sure what kinda condition it's in. Contact NYCMTB, they will give you better advice than most.

#8 -   Feb 8, 2008
  9. dirttastesgood

dirttastesgood Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    That was bull****. Oh well we still have plenty of illegal spots.

#9 -   Feb 8, 2008
  10. captainlawndart

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    you should contact jbogner of NYCMTB, he would have all the right info.

11. RideRMB

RideRMB Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Start there.

12. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

as if I haven't thought of that allready, the problem is there are no pump parks close to me, when the season gets underway I plan on checking a few out on my travels but I want to get this thing started before the village changes their mind.

13. jbogner

jbogner Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    You should take a trip down to NYC and check out our jump park. Since we're both in New York State, we're all constrained by the same recreational use statutes, and your village might find it compelling that a similar project was undertaken successfully in NYC...

Lenosky

Lenosky

Lindsey Voreis

14. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    highbridge looks like a great place to start for me, any info on when the location would be rideable?, everything around me is mushy so I assume it's the same there. My son and I would love to make a trip down there to check it out and hopefully get some ideas. Thanks

15. jbogner

jbogner Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    Just check the weather for the city on weather.com. As long as the temps are below freezing, it'll be hard and fast. If it's warmer, it's a bit of a crapshoot this time of year. Last weekend we were up there, and guys were riding the big line of jumps, but the pump track was just too soft. You can't pump if the track sucks all the energy out of you. ;)

If you want to post up on nycmtb.com before you make the trip, our guys are usually up there every weekend...

16. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    My son and I have begun pump park construction tonight. Just putting this out, The pics that I have received have given me some great ideas. I have purchased the book from leelikesbikes.com which has also helped. Any additional pics and or ideas that you would like to forward onto me would be appreciated. I have decided that I am in fact going to stray away from the norm with pump parks in that the course is going to cover approx. 2 full acres and will included more advanced "short cuts" to skip from section to section. Again thanks for the advice you have given so far and I look forward to any other advice that you can offer to help give the local kids a place to ride. After riding this past weekend with a group of local kids and getting kicked out of 4 locations and stopped by the police and told that "non-motorized" vehicles were illegal for use within town limits has prompted me to get this thing done. What the hell is this world coming to. Must be all officials want our kids to stay inside with their nintendo's, sorry x-boxes these days, and get to be 300 lbs and live off the system when they are too fat and lazy to work for a living.:banghead:

17. Mtblucaso

Mtblucaso Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    when will the park be ready and how long of a drive is it from NYC?

18. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    we are about 2 1/2 to 3 hours west of NYC depending on your route/location and speed you travel. It should be ready by late april early may.

19. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Just a photo update of the park, we now have one berm and 4 pumps started with a drop in again any photos or ideas to help this thing along would be appreciated, I have 3 acres to fill with a pump park it's gonna be a long spring.

Attached Files:

20. Mtblucaso

Mtblucaso Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    um there kinda small

21. FOXROX

FOXROX Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ^^^ you still wouldnt do it.

22. jbogner

jbogner Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    The pump track is supposed to be small.

Just be careful that the entire track is level- pumping uphill (or having to pedal) kills the whole thing. Even a small grade change can be pretty significant when you're trying to pump.

23. runnin12s

runnin12s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    just progress updates, again if you see something wrong or have a recommendation, shout it out, this thing will see lots of kids, want to keep it simple and fun

Attached Files: