Quantcast

pump park?

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Hey I know this isn't diablo related but seems to be that most of you guys have some common knowlede of this. I have just received authorization from our local board to build a pump park / tiny jump park at our local park (too many parks) I bought the book from Leelikesbikes.com and have read as much as I can about the subject but never being on a pump park and never seeing one in person any information or pictures people could forward to me would be helpful. Thanks

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Hey I know this isn't diablo related but seems to be that most of you guys have some common knowlede of this. I have just received authorization from our local board to build a pump park / tiny jump park at our local park (too many parks) I bought the book from Leelikesbikes.com and have read as much as I can about the subject but never being on a pump park and never seeing one in person any information or pictures people could forward to me would be helpful. Thanks

That's awesome. Guys like you make more of a difference than a lot of pros and companies. You may want to do a little filming of your process or at the very least take pictures, including town officials and contractor and such.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have never build one before.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
The park is located in Wavelry, NY. It is about 2.5-3 hrs northwest of diablo. There will be pics and video taken as progress begins. This is going to be the first "legal" location I've built.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
We tried a "legal" method here, actually presented to the big head trail committee/land trust but a bunch of the women there hated bikers. So, back to illegal stuff.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
thats great, too bad its not closer to me. i have ridden a few pump "tracks" back in AZ, tons of fun. i know there are actually people out there that design these tracks proffessionally, ive seen some designs somewhere on a forum,will try to find, also i just saw a few weeks ago a town called plainfield il. suburb of chicago(my home town:) ) is doing a very similar operation at a town park with pumptrack,dirt jumps, skills area, ect. i will try to dig up some info and get that to you.

IAMAPRO

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Wow, and I though you were full of it. Congratats, and my I suggest you visit Stowe, VT and Highland, NH. Stowe is a public track like the one you mention, and Highland is private.

Highbridge in NYC also has a pump track, but I am not sure what kinda condition it's in. Contact NYCMTB, they will give you better advice than most.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
We tried a "legal" method here, actually presented to the big head trail committee/land trust but a bunch of the women there hated bikers. So, back to illegal stuff.
That was bull****. Oh well we still have plenty of illegal spots.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Start there.

as if I haven't thought of that allready, the problem is there are no pump parks close to me, when the season gets underway I plan on checking a few out on my travels but I want to get this thing started before the village changes their mind.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
You should take a trip down to NYC and check out our jump park. Since we're both in New York State, we're all constrained by the same recreational use statutes, and your village might find it compelling that a similar project was undertaken successfully in NYC...

Lenosky

Lenosky

Lindsey Voreis

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
highbridge looks like a great place to start for me, any info on when the location would be rideable?, everything around me is mushy so I assume it's the same there. My son and I would love to make a trip down there to check it out and hopefully get some ideas. Thanks

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Just check the weather for the city on weather.com. As long as the temps are below freezing, it'll be hard and fast. If it's warmer, it's a bit of a crapshoot this time of year. Last weekend we were up there, and guys were riding the big line of jumps, but the pump track was just too soft. You can't pump if the track sucks all the energy out of you. ;)

If you want to post up on nycmtb.com before you make the trip, our guys are usually up there every weekend...

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
My son and I have begun pump park construction tonight. Just putting this out, The pics that I have received have given me some great ideas. I have purchased the book from leelikesbikes.com which has also helped. Any additional pics and or ideas that you would like to forward onto me would be appreciated. I have decided that I am in fact going to stray away from the norm with pump parks in that the course is going to cover approx. 2 full acres and will included more advanced "short cuts" to skip from section to section. Again thanks for the advice you have given so far and I look forward to any other advice that you can offer to help give the local kids a place to ride. After riding this past weekend with a group of local kids and getting kicked out of 4 locations and stopped by the police and told that "non-motorized" vehicles were illegal for use within town limits has prompted me to get this thing done. What the hell is this world coming to. Must be all officials want our kids to stay inside with their nintendo's, sorry x-boxes these days, and get to be 300 lbs and live off the system when they are too fat and lazy to work for a living.:banghead:

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
we are about 2 1/2 to 3 hours west of NYC depending on your route/location and speed you travel. It should be ready by late april early may.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
The pump track is supposed to be small.

Just be careful that the entire track is level- pumping uphill (or having to pedal) kills the whole thing. Even a small grade change can be pretty significant when you're trying to pump.