Quantcast

pump tracks

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The new design of our pump track is coming together. It is a blast to ride with options everywhere.

Here is some video of riding the most basic lines.

We have the two small bowls running now.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Make the lumps/pumps more sine-wave like and make the berms more bermy and it should be fine.

the pumps should be smooth, not lumpy. :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Someone sent me the detailed pic of the Fix pump track measurements to give me a better guideline. The two up top were the 90" distance but super tall. And the one is too close to the berm. The bottom 3 were apparently WAY too close and as you said "bumpy". I knocked the tops off the top 2 and it helped and this morning before work started on pushing the one at 11 o clock out and turning the two at 9 o'clock into a single and backing it away from the berm at 6 o'clock..

I think it's still going to be too small to carry any speed, even with those drastic changes so I will have to push the berm out to the tree in the background.

Now that I know I was going too steep and pointy with them, it should be easier to complete. DO NOT want to do a new berm though. Was so very proud of myself. :rolleyes:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
How about some real 3D modeling?

Multi-directional track with four 'arms'. The hump in the middle can be jumped/pumped/hipped. One section of this is designed to be a little easier, smaller. And the other section will have different sized rollers on one end and some kind of step up/down triple roller on the other end.
Wall ride may or may not happen.

Thoughts, suggestions?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have never built my own pump track before and I now know I suck at it. Tried to ride this thing today and am thinking it's unrideable:

1 to 10 rule for the rollers.

1' high rollers need to be spaced 10 feet apart (crest to crest)

1.5' rollers need to be spaced 15 feet apart (c to c)

2' rollers need to be spaced 20' apart (c to c)

and so forth.

Remember, when it comes to rollers, they should look like a sine wave, not a jump!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
dialed "pump track" and super-dialed riding:

is that asphalt? or just super packed black clay?????

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
dialed "pump track" and super-dialed riding:

is that asphalt? or just super packed black clay?????

Looks like soil-tac to me, its almost like elmers glue for dirt. It basically seals it and turns the surface like concrete so you leave rubber marks all over it. When you do the rythem section at our local track your front tire will sometimes chirp when it touches down through the rollers.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i was working on some designs for a concrete bmx park and so i started trying to figure out exactly what an ideal roller shape and spacing is.

i was never a math whiz, but i started researching "sine wave" patterns to try to get some exact dimensions, i realized that maybe that's not actually the shape that makes an ideal roller. sine waves are consecutive positive/negative parabolas, and therefore "peaky," not consecutive domes and bowls.

i drew some wave patterns based on a circular radius:

the shape on this concrete roller is interesting because the transition at the bottom, where the skater first gets the boost to go over the roller is a tighter transition. it's almost more like two launches with a mellow dome in the middle. a parabolic shape roller would be the reverse--it would mountain shaped, mellow at the bottom then peaking/cresting at the top.

this is a pretty interesting "monster roller" -- basically a box jump with a dome on top.

monster rollers built into trails can be soooo sick. remember that Foster scrub photo from a while back:

Last edited:

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
local public pumptrack in Queens NY http://vimeo.com/16256297

and after embedding a billion videos, i now fail at this... help!

Nice Fellas =)
Good to see you guys out there flowin the trails. When do ya think your going again?

How ya like the new tweaks to the pumptrack. The second berm is just some much fun to rail now. It could use some more love but we just fixed up the major flow issues.

Have a good one!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
rad clip of shredding racer Kyle Bennett.

but also interesting how bmx-track-ish this "pump track" is:

Kyle Bennett riding the pump track

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
Anyone ever heard of/built a sorta cross between a bmx/dj/ and pump track? I'm workin on building this thing but I have no idea what to call it. Everything is too tight to get a fell pedal stoke in but its got lots of very small gaps. You drop in and pedal about fifteen feet and then its all arms and legs from there.. Four or five feet is the biggest gap. But there is flow like none other. Hips and rollers and plenty of speed. What exacty have I built?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
sounds like trails to me.

I'd throw in some pumps where you pedal so you can eliminate the pedaling all together. That may not be possible with your setup but I personally enjoy riding tracks/trails that require less pedals and more pumping to gain speed.

You have any pics?

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
No. But it starts with a little gap about a bike length long. So you have to have a little speed to start with. That's the reason for a short pedal section first. Other than that I would have put rollers in that space.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Anyone ever heard of/built a sorta cross between a bmx/dj/ and pump track? I'm workin on building this thing but I have no idea what to call it. Everything is too tight to get a fell pedal stoke in but its got lots of very small gaps. You drop in and pedal about fifteen feet and then its all arms and legs from there.. Four or five feet is the biggest gap. But there is flow like none other. Hips and rollers and plenty of speed. What exacty have I built?
in austin, we say that if it's a loop, and you can roll everything (not pure-gap doubles) without pedaling, then it's a "pump track." we are not buying the idea that a pump track must consist of only rollers and berms. jumps--even reasonably big ones--are part of the mix. when i planned out our pump track (some vid clips above), i used things i learned from years of bmx trails and bmx racing--spacing, jump transitions, rhythm sections, racer-jump rounded corners, etc. etc.

i have had people tell me what a pump track "is supposed to be." but, i don't even think Lee McCormack (leelikesbikes.com and author "Welcome to Pump Track Nation" e-book) necessarily intended pump tracks to be limited to just smaller rollers and berms. his book is an excellent guide to beginner backyard-sized tracks. he never said you couldn't do more and make pump tracks bigger and radder.

if you go to BMX Movie Database http://bmxmdb.com/films/183-Madd-Matt under "Madd Matt" (a video from 1995) and scroll down to the Taj Mihelich section, and watch starting at 0:18, you'll see a 10 pack of rollers which we called the rhythm section back then--they were rollers but they were also spaced a little more like sets of back-to-back doubles.

in another example . . . i would consider the old wood rhythm section at now-dead Chenga bike park in to have been an inspiration for something like Ray's MTB Park's wooden pump track and trails lines. (makes me wonder if some of the same people designed and built)..... http://bmxmdb.com/films/76-Home-Of-The-Brave Scroll down to Taj (again) and watch at 0:49. back to back rollable doubles. that size and spacing works really well in an MTBMX style pump track.

in one more example, also from this same era and also Taj, check out 1:24 of his section in UGP Face Value. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5178313616516099716# that kind of multiple-roller manualing got a lot of trails riders stoked on adding these type of rollers to trails and not just having dirt jumps that you pedal across a field and hit.

Last edited:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Just started this berm track a month ago. Really excited bout this little project. Currently rooming with my buddy, owner of the LBS due to recent family issues. He wanted something in his yard so this is what is started. It feels good working with a fresh canvas. Prolly come back here looking for opinions and ideas. I love big trails but this will be limited to smaller hits but hope to keep the fun meter up with good berms and mini roller dubs. Currently working on a little fire pit hip jump.

Haven't even completed a full lap yet so im sure a few things will change.

As you can see from this photo, only less than half the yard is being used so far.

this mini roller set into the small right hand berm will take you into the fire pit hip, wrapping left around the tree shown.

its hard knowing exactly where to put these rollers. Trying to find the right place that isnt too far away where you cant double them up and or too close where they are hard to roll at speed.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Naw, it's super fun. Great for skills building.
My setup last year had a tight ass berm like that. Loads of fun but after a lap or 2 I'd get spit out of it and keep spinning/turning.

You put a ton of stuff in there for such a small/tight space - looks great!