Quantcast

Puppy toss

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
If you spend much time on Digg or various other 'news' sources, you might have seen the link to a video of a US serviceman tossing a puppy over a cliff in either Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not going to post a link as it's easy to find if you really want to. Anyway, his last name is mentioned in the video and people all over have posted up addresses, phone numbers and links to online profiles of the individual they believe is depicted in the video. I won't bother discussing the actions of the individual in the video but I'm more concerned about the slathering of someone's information all over the web. What happens when this guys family and friends become harassed to the nth degree through phone calls, mail or, at worst, some sort of physical retaliation? I'm sure this sort of thing has happened in the past but who is responsible when innocent people become caught up in an issue such as this? What kind of recourse is there when someone becomes the target of thousands of misdirected (if, in fact, they are) people? I probably know the answers to these questions already but what's your take?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dont throw puppies off cliffs or convince teenage girls to kill themselves and you wont have to worry about it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Looked fake to me.

If it's not, I have to channel Bill Hicks and wonder why we are surprised that a group of hired killers would exhibit cruelty to animals...

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
If you spend much time on Digg or various other 'news' sources, you might have seen the link to a video of a US serviceman tossing a puppy over a cliff in either Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not going to post a link as it's easy to find if you really want to. Anyway, his last name is mentioned in the video and people all over have posted up addresses, phone numbers and links to online profiles of the individual they believe is depicted in the video. I won't bother discussing the actions of the individual in the video but I'm more concerned about the slathering of someone's information all over the web. What happens when this guys family and friends become harassed to the nth degree through phone calls, mail or, at worst, some sort of physical retaliation? I'm sure this sort of thing has happened in the past but who is responsible when innocent people become caught up in an issue such as this? What kind of recourse is there when someone becomes the target of thousands of misdirected (if, in fact, they are) people? I probably know the answers to these questions already but what's your take?
All excellent questions, but it looks like the individual responsible may get what's coming to him: link

"The video is shocking and deplorable and is contrary to the high standards we expect of every Marine," the Kane'ohe Bay base said in a release.

Base officials said the video came to their attention this morning. An investigation has been initiated. Maj. Chris Perrine, a Marine spokesman here, said "it's looking like" the Marine is based out of Hawai'i.

"We do not tolerate this type of behavior and will take appropriate action," the base said.
So, the threats to friends and family are obviously wrong, but on the other hand, all the online furor brought it the attention of this soldier's commanding officers.