Quantcast

Push an RC or get a Different shock

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Planning on sending out my rear shock to Push after the new year for teh RC special......Anyone here running one? And if so How do you like it? My next choice would be a Romic or a fifth element, But seeing how i Have teh RC now Push seems the cheaper way...Anywho Khs FR1500 Vanilla RC Marz Z150 XT Drivetrain Juciy brakes... and so forth......Any input is welcome..:confused:
________
Hyde Park Residence

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would personally PUSH it, but I have no knowledge of any of the shocks you are talking about. But it's cheap and custom valved, so that would be my choice.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I swapped out my 5th for a PUSH'ed Fox RC on my old bike - holy hell did that make a world of difference. Just do it, you won't regret it. 5th's are nothing but problems. A PUSH'ed Fox will behave extremely well, and not blow up spontaneously like a 5th will. And Romics are....well, Romics.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
BKQuill said:
What is this "push" thingie you all speak of?
Is this something one should do with a Vanilla RC shock?
PUSH Platform Damping Upgrade:
Want to join the new shock performance revolution that’s going on, look no further! Valved with the rider, riding style and frame in mind, let our technicians turn your “old school” shock into “new generation shock” crusher. With ease of use and maximum performance in mind, this kit will transform the function of your bike.

Available for: Fox Vanilla R, RX, RL, RC / RP3, Float R, RL, RC, AVA

PUSH Vanilla RC Race System, available only for the Vanilla RC, Race Systems take the “Works” approach and put it into the privateer’s hands. With Multi-Stage Valving and high grade materials, this kit brings World Cup performance to your local trail. As with all PUSH services, Race Systems services are valved with the rider, riding style and frame in mind, by our technicians.

more info here :

http://www.pushindustries.com/index.php

and more (TFT Europe)

http://www.tftunedshox.com/push/pushfox.htm#platform

I'm getting my old RC pushed in February. (so no real life info here)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Push it. It's worth every penny. Several of us here have been on them for a couple years now with great results. I love mine.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'm sure you could find a few reviews by doing a search.

I had an RC done a while back and it performed well. I wouldn't call it a world of difference, but it was worth the money for the extra control, performance and reliability. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
To get the most out of pushing your shock; when you fill out the form the provide, you are asked such things as what kind of bike, how much you weigh, your riding style, etc. Be very specific, and HONEST. Don't tell them you huck 20 feet to flat if what you are really doing is jumping 4 feet to a transition. Your shock will be valved to your specifications, make your specifications as truthfull as possible, and you will get the best results possible.
I had my rc pushed early in the year for an RFX with custom rockers. What I didn't know when I made the rockers is that I created a greater rising rate supension than the stock rockers offered. The results where I didn't get a shock that worked for my bike. Recently I got together with push industries, we figured out my problem, and they reworked my shock. The result is I have a fricken great shock now, absolutely fabulous.
So what I'm saying is; the results you get out of pushing your shock is directly proportional to the accuracy of the data you give them.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well the next silly question is, is a damn vanilla r even worth the time?

I have had nothing but trouble out of this shock, and then the perfomance was real bad...

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
sirknight6 said:

I have had nothing but trouble out of this shock, and then the perfomance was real bad...
Ralph I would probably look around for a cheap RC and then send the RC off to PUSH. A RC will fit your Ironhorse frame. My bro has the same frame.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sirknight6 said:

Nah. Even with push valving you've still got a shock that has too small of an oil volume for a lot of DH riding, and it will still heat up and fade. I'd either find a vanilla rc to send or just get one of the avalanche shocks you're thinking about. I do have an extra rc that's 9.5 x 3.0 if that's the size you need.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
If at all possible, get a DHX.

The ability to tune bottom out control is priceless. The RC is lacking in that regard.

Ebay has them popping up once in a while.

beamer

Chimp
Sep 13, 2005
Springville, Utah
I have a Pushed RC that is set to my weight, bike, and riding style. It soaks up bumps great and takes a 5-6' drop (don't dare to go bigger yet) to flat flawlessly. It's butter baby:thumb: .

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
beamer said:
I have a Pushed RC that is set to my weight, bike, and riding style. It soaks up bumps great and takes a 5-6' drop (don't dare to go bigger yet) to flat flawlessly. It's butter baby:thumb: .
If you value your bike, I wouldn't go any bigger!

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Spokompton said:
If at all possible, get a DHX.

The ability to tune bottom out control is priceless. The RC is lacking in that regard.

Ebay has them popping up once in a while.
Sorry, but push industries CAN build bottom out protection into your shock.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Renegade said:
Sorry, but push industries CAN build bottom out protection into your shock.

well thats been going on for years. its just a matter of repositioning the air/oil separator when you rebuild the shock.
you can do that with any shock, the question is just how much bottom out protection you can safely put into a relatively small shock, i guess with push's improved seals they can do a lot in that regard.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Pushing a shock would be a nice little weight savings. You get something that works really well and you could put a Ti spring on it. You could do the same with a Romic shock (they go for pretty cheap here these days) but would still be heavier.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Kevin said:
Sorry for the Hijack but anyone know about pushing a DHX?
Is it worth it or even available?
I want to have mine serviced so I thought Id might as well have it tuned while its wintertime anyways...
Push will be "soon" releasing a serious upgrade for the dhx coil. When I visited push a few weeks ago to get my shock re-dialed, I had the pleasure of taking Darren's own Turner six pack out for a parking lot spin. His bike has the pushed dhx coil on it as well as a pushed Rock shox pike fork.
Is it worth it? The shock felt amazing. Prices haven't been anounced yet.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
kidwoo said:
Nah. Even with push valving you've still got a shock that has too small of an oil volume for a lot of DH riding, and it will still heat up and fade. I'd either find a vanilla rc to send or just get one of the avalanche shocks you're thinking about. I do have an extra rc that's 9.5 x 3.0 if that's the size you need.
is that the correct size for my DHR?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Renegade said:
Push will be "soon" releasing a serious upgrade for the dhx coil. When I visited push a few weeks ago to get my shock re-dialed, I had the pleasure of taking Darren's own Turner six pack out for a parking lot spin. His bike has the pushed dhx coil on it as well as a pushed Rock shox pike fork.
Is it worth it? The shock felt amazing. Prices haven't been anounced yet.
Kay thanks, I think Ill send Tim Flooks an Email about it since they do the PUSH thingy here.

Cheers

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
My brother just had his vanilla RC pushed (race system) by TFTuned shox and is loving it at the moment. Seems to pedal really well and the damping is so much better than stock. You are basically getting a new, works level shock when you do this so I think its a no brainer.