Quantcast

Push Gen 2 MX Tune DHX + Yeti 303 RDH

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
My shock arrived this evening. We just had a baby last week so I probably won't be able to ride it farther then down the street for a few weeks.

Parts they pulled out

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks guys. Definitely the coolest thing I've ever done. I'm already getting her ready for the bike - I prop her on my knees and then we do cornering drills with her hands on my fingers. Right now shes working on counter steering :)

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Congratulations on your new baby...my wife and I still make comments on how unreal it is that we already have a ten and seven year old. The time flies!

Cool pictures, and a good looking bike. Enjoy!

Darren

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Congrats on the birth of your child!

I JUST saw the new Gen 2 MX Tune the other day, and very curious about it. Let us know how it rides when you have the time!

Darren - some nice looking CNC work on the new bridge piece! Aside from this, are there any performance differences between this and the First Gen MX Tune?

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Darren - some nice looking CNC work on the new bridge piece! Aside from this, are there any performance differences between this and the First Gen MX Tune?
The Gen-2 system is redesigned from the ground up and features significant refinements. From a chassis standpoint it's lighter and sleeker. The valve is an all new system that gives us a larger tuning range while at the same time giving the customer a broader range of external adjustment. We also can create different types of compression force curves to better compliment specific frame leverages. Obviously, the new kit uses finger controls instead of having to use a wrench which is nice.

In a nutshell, the Gen-1 kit was a great product. The Gen-2 system just features all of the things we either learned or wanted to be able to get out of the first generation.

Darren

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sweet! Sounds good Darren - thanks for the info!

I still have my old PUSH'ed Factory Rebuild DHX 5.0 from my Sunday soooo... think I'll be shipping that out to you in the next month or so. :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
i'm considering doing this for my DHX on the Session and upgrading to a Ti spring...

or getting the Vivid Air DH shock
Avalanche offers something similar too which you can look into.

Ohh and don't forget you are going to be a farther soon that may cut into your riding just a little bit and give you time to see what happens to the Vivid Air.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Wow, looks nice. This version does look more refined and not needing tools for the adjusters is a huge plus. Definitely provide some feedback when you get some time on it.

Congrats on the new kid! It is life changing and a lot of fun....enjoy:thumb:

after thought: it would be sweet if they offered the option to get the bridge in different anodized colors:D

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
The bridge is the original Fox bridge as the MX tune now fits inside the normal Fox.
I won't go as far as to say you are wrong since I don't know 100% but I am pretty sure it is a new bridge. The pix on their site show a different bridge and gurp's photos show what was removed and it included the original Fox bridge in that photo.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I won't go as far as to say you are wrong since I don't know 100% but I am pretty sure it is a new bridge. The pix on their site show a different bridge and gurp's photos show what was removed and it included the original Fox bridge in that photo.
He was talking about Avalanches race tune does the same thing just fits in factory bridge.

As far as PUSH as long as you catch a bridge before it hits the ano guy its not an issue they run it same batch pull the clip that its attached too if they have the dye tank drop it in color chosen let it sit approx times are similair pending DYE and PH if its maintained it wont slow the process down any if at all... Hook it back or individually stick it in the rinse.nicle seal and rinse there you go... MAybe a few extra bucks to cover a littel bit of extra racking but easy easy...

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
The bridge is the original Fox bridge as the MX tune now fits inside the normal Fox.
He was talking about Avalanches race tune does the same thing just fits in factory bridge.

As far as PUSH as long as you catch a bridge before it hits the ano guy its not an issue they run it same batch pull the clip that its attached too if they have the dye tank drop it in color chosen let it sit approx times are similair pending DYE and PH if its maintained it wont slow the process down any if at all... Hook it back or individually stick it in the rinse.nicle seal and rinse there you go... MAybe a few extra bucks to cover a littel bit of extra racking but easy easy...
My bad, didn't realize Avalanche calls it the "MX Tune" as well ;)

If it is that simple for them to do and I ever get around to buying one, it would be a nice custom feature to offer existing custom features:thumb:

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Just to clear things up, our MX-Tune for the FOX includes the new bridge assembly. We could have designed a valve that would've retrofit into the stock bridge but that would've eliminated the ability for the kit to fit both the DHX 3.0 and the VAN-R models. So with the bridge assembly the upgrade can be installed in all models of DHX 3.0/4.0/5.0 and VAN-R Models.

Our bridge also features revised geometry to give more clearance at the end of the reservoir. This allows more fit options as some air shock specific frames out there cause the end of the resi to crash into the frame.

As for the Ano options, we considered it and could possibly offer it in the future without issue as Bullcrew mentioned, but as for now, black is all that we have.

Darren

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Doesnt the dhx 3 have the blow propedal postition sensative valve (just preset no adjustability) part inside and a sticker over the detent hole and a aluminum plug capping the other??? Same bridges I thought...
We've definitely done our homework on this one as I would argue that, outside of FOX themselves, no one has serviced and tuned more DHX units than us. :thumb: :)

Some DHX 3.0's do have a plug, however not all of them. We didn't want to be in a situation where we would have to call a customer and tell them "sorry we can't tune your shock" when we advertise that we do.

Darren

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We've definitely done our homework on this one as I would argue that, outside of FOX themselves, no one has serviced and tuned more DHX units than us. :thumb: :)

Some DHX 3.0's do have a plug, however not all of them. We didn't want to be in a situation where we would have to call a customer and tell them "sorry we can't tune your shock" when we advertise that we do.

Darren
Mine has the plug came on my kids bike so I dissassembled it.. :thumb:

Was actually surprised that it literally was a 5.0 minus adjusters...

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was able to get in a half an hour on the dual track behind my house. Nothing great, it's a ~20 second run with three hair pins and a long runout sweeper over hard packed clay and grass with some ruts and high speed chop.

I ordered a DH race tune and was running the suggested settings.

The bigger ruts felt spikey at first, but during the last couple of runs it seemed to be smoothing out. The seals may be taking some time to break in. The chop felt rougher then I'm used and I was hearing more chain slap from the rear end, but I felt like I was moving faster and the rear tire maintained traction. It's definitely staying farther up in the travel; I was getting close to 90 percent compression before on this trail and now it's at ~60/70. I'm in-between spring weights now, I think I'll need to drop down 50lbs.

I have clearance for 2 hours of riding Sunday to break it in a bit more and play with the settings and tackle some rougher terrain. I'll post more after that.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
The bigger ruts felt spikey at first, but during the last couple of runs it seemed to be smoothing out. The seals may be taking some time to break in.
2-4 hours of off-road riding before everything settles in. After break-in feel free to contact me with questions about the setup.

Darren

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
do you make everything in house for this kit now?
Yes. To my knowledge we are the only MTB suspension service/tuning company that does the entire process from design concept to production manufacturing under our roof. Which stands to say that there is a whole group of people at PUSH that deserve credit. The MX-Tune was my idea, but it took the hard work of our engineering, manufacturing, and skilled technicians to give you the customer the finished product. All of these people deserve credit and thanks as I'm often associated with what you guys ride, but it's important to me that you know a lot of it falls in the hands of others.

Here's a vid of the first setup for the bridge being made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rsuCi2p_XvY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rsuCi2p_XvY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Will do, thanks Darren.
10-4.

Darren

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Just to clear things up, our MX-Tune for the FOX includes the new bridge assembly. We could have designed a valve that would've retrofit into the stock bridge but that would've eliminated the ability for the kit to fit both the DHX 3.0 and the VAN-R models. So with the bridge assembly the upgrade can be installed in all models of DHX 3.0/4.0/5.0 and VAN-R Models.

Our bridge also features revised geometry to give more clearance at the end of the reservoir. This allows more fit options as some air shock specific frames out there cause the end of the resi to crash into the frame.

As for the Ano options, we considered it and could possibly offer it in the future without issue as Bullcrew mentioned, but as for now, black is all that we have.

Darren
If you are doing a new bridge, why not going crazy and do a rotating reservoir or something that will fit a lot of All Mountain Frames? It would be so cool.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Wow... I know Greg from Straitline would appreciate this... is that one of the new HAAS mills you acquired back in Feb.?
Yeah, we got a new 2010 HAAS VF-2 specifically for this product. It was tooled and powered up in early March and hasn't stopped working since!:thumb:

If you are doing a new bridge, why not going crazy and do a rotating reservoir or something that will fit a lot of All Mountain Frames? It would be so cool.
Partly because of cost, and partly because this bridge design fits everything that we're aware of.

Darren

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
After 3 months I've been able to get some quality time with the shock. Here's how it's gone -

- The first tune was a big improvement in stability through the rough compared to the stock DHX. Small and medium impacts were smoothed out well, but I found that large high speed impacts (larger then curb size) were feeling rougher then I wanted and I wasn't getting close to full travel during a full day at Mammoth, even on some relatively large drops.

- The second tune has been on target. I'm running a bit more low speed compression damping then the suggested settings and I'm able to get the stable feel I'm looking for while the high speed impacts are being smoothed out without the harshness I felt before.

- Compared to the stock DHX tune (which I must admit was the best stock tune to a frame with a DHX that I've ever encountered), the ride is much more stable without giving up anything in bump absorption. I am riding the same sections on my local trails noticeably faster, and am finding new lines opening up to me.

- In the end, Push did a great job of building me a shock that does exactly what I want. Thanks.

Product Suggestions:

- The suggested high and low compression settings for my shock are at the ends of the adjustment range. It would be nice if they were centered. In practice this hasn't been an issue for me, as I've been able to adjust in the direction I want to go (more low speed comp), but that won't be the same for everyone.

- It's really tough to turn the high speed comp knob. It does get easier over time, but it's still stiff. A less resistant adjuster would be great. High speed detents would also be welcome.

- On retunes, a follow up "here's what we did" summary sheet. My shock works great now, but it would be nice to know what changed.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Regretfully PUSH wont service anyone out of North America. I've tried but been told no.

Even their Australian agents aparently wont service outside of OZ.

Darren - please get an NZ agent!!!

Just not Blueshark.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Did not know. That is very cool. Now I want to Push my shock even more than ever. What's the turnaround like?
Fast. Push got my shock last Tuesday, it was back in the mail by Wed, I got it back on my bike this Monday. That is all with standard shipping from NorCal.

Already feels better in the parking lot. I can almost hear the Santa Cruz trails sobbing. They are afraid, very afraid.