Quantcast

PUSH Ind Fork?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
And unlike landing gear you also have an axle between the two ends.

Anyway, I just hope this new fork is called "Forkz" and that is has sweet dampeningers.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
you probably just never rode a good one

they did exist

I'd take a white brothers groove fork over anything with the name boxxer on it at the time
The prior-gen Dorado (before the one that just came out a couple months ago) was also pretty awesome for the day, at least earlier in its lifespan. No, it wasn't very stiff, but it also didn't bind up and stop working if it flexed a little, and the damper and spring were both great.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The prior-gen Dorado (before the one that just came out a couple months ago) was also pretty awesome for the day, at least earlier in its lifespan. No, it wasn't very stiff, but it also didn't bind up and stop working if it flexed a little, and the damper and spring were both great.
gonna get time on the new dorado?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
and god forbid they experiment with new ideas instead of rehashing the same thing over and over again

RM: "why doesn't the bike industry try some out of the box thinking?"

also RM: "no not like that"

As a prototype I think that thing is dope as hell. Perhaps it would be more welcomed if they could demonstrate it skidding through a berm.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As a prototype I think that thing is dope as hell.
:stupid:

I dunno how well it actually worked, but it's an interesting idea and I'm sure they learned some stuff from it. This thread is proving Darren right re: it being a tough sell marketing wise though.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I think the speculation that they go upside down to get around casting lowers makes a certain amount of sense. They obviously have plenty of experience on the spring and damper sides of things with their mods, so most of what's left after that is a chassis.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
LMAO at this thread!

In that light...

How about a self-adjusting-headtube-angle-fork?

Use Case: Seems like the gnarly 63.5* HA of current DH bikes were too gnarly for the gnar at Snowshoe, which apparently only needed 65* of gnar.

Also. East Coast Rox. See: Moar Shimz

:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
you probably just never rode a good one

they did exist

I'd take a white brothers groove fork over anything with the name boxxer on it at the time
That didn't make a WB a good fork, it just made the Boxxer an exceptionally crappy one.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
I think the speculation that they go upside down to get around casting lowers makes a certain amount of sense. They obviously have plenty of experience on the spring and damper sides of things with their mods, so most of what's left after that is a chassis.
The process for casting lower legs is readily available here in the USA as it's so widely used in the automotive industry for instance. Post precision machining the bores, dropouts, etc is very easy for a company like ours that does that type of work every day of the week. :thumb:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That is cool to know!

The process for casting lower legs is readily available here in the USA as it's so widely used in the automotive industry for instance. Post precision machining the bores, dropouts, etc is very easy for a company like ours that does that type of work every day of the week. :thumb:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The process for casting lower legs is readily available here in the USA .... :thumb:
Are you ready to order 100,000 castings at the time?
As far as I remember, Cornelius, the guy behind Intend, said in an interview that the process is also available in Germany, but the number of castings that need to be ordered to even get the manufacturers interested was enormous. This is why he went a different route.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As far as I remember, Cornelius, the guy behind Intend, said in an interview that the process is also available in Germany, but the number of castings that need to be ordered to even get the manufacturers interested was enormous. This is why he went a different route.
Even at a lower MOQ, say 50k pcs, at $25/unit (low) that's still over $1mil without tooling costs or development. Plus storage for 50k lowers. If push has the assets to manage that kind of overhead more power to them.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
We are not ready to order 100,000 castings but then again why would we have to order 100,000 castings? I can't speak to the German suppliers, but here in the US, there are several companies looking to grow their businesses and are happy to work on a product of this type.

Even at a lower MOQ, say 50k pcs, at $25/unit (low) that's still over $1mil without tooling costs or development. Plus storage for 50k lowers. If push has the assets to manage that kind of overhead more power to them.
Again, I'm not sure where these numbers are coming from but we certainly wouldn't start off with 50,000 lower leg castings on a new product.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
We are not ready to order 100,000 castings but then again why would we have to order 100,000 castings? I can't speak to the German suppliers, but here in the US, there are several companies looking to grow their businesses and are happy to work on a product of this type.

Again, I'm not sure where these numbers are coming from but we certainly wouldn't start off with 50,000 lower leg castings on a new product.
Darren, how frustrating is it to read comments that think to know more about your business, product development and financials than you do?

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Darren, how frustrating is it to read comments that think to know more about your business, product development and financials than you do?
Honestly, I'm sitting here having a cup of coffee at the moment and not frustrated at all! :thumb: Happy to have the conversation, I guess I'm just missing the context of where some of the information comes from.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Honestly, I'm sitting here having a cup of coffee at the moment and not frustrated at all! :thumb: Happy to have the conversation, I guess I'm just missing the context of where some of the information comes from.
Are you going to make straight 1-1/8 and 26"?? Inquiring minds would like to know.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@PUSHIND I'd rather know where and when you're going to ride that fancy Yet-E?! LOL Thing looks amazing.

Let's see if my E-Commencal can keep up!

I'm thinking tomorrow, Lory or Curt Gowdy :)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Germany apparently.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that # was the MOQ quoted from the dude who runs Intend. i'd read it from the same article.

it was an example. the #'s are ballparks based on what i've heard from others in the industry, but that's based on mnfg in ASPAC. for the scale (and high end focus) of your company I wouldn't expect you to start off with such a large commitment on an NPI. if you've found a domestic foundry that will take on smaller volumes (and with costs that make sense for the product), that's absolutely awesome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've worked w/ manufacturing my entire career, with products where everything is 100% done by hand start to finish, to manufacturing sites where a single line could put out a quarter million pieces a shift. i've dealt with suppliers who won't even respond to inquiries if the order sizes you'll be placing aren't large enough. i've also dealt with suppliers that'll fulfill your smaller orders, but the total order price was the same regardless if we were ordering 1k pieces or 5k pieces, because for the smaller runs they'd be spending more time setting up the lines than they would be running them.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have not. Always wanted to, tho. I'm in Fort Collins, can't seem to make that commitment given all the other options. Is it that good?
Dammit man. My in laws are in Centennial so when I am in town, I can be at the bottom of the North Fork Little Laramie trail in a few minutes. It's the difference between IMBA and old school Forest Service trails.

Up on top is a another animal. There is a 12ish mile loop that is a giant rock garden. Last time I rode it, I averaged 4.5 mph. But if you feel like slow going rock crawling moves for hours (fuck yeah) its proper. At 12,000 ft no less. It's called Matildas alpine loop on Strava. Then theres the Rock Creek shuttle that starts on top of the Snowys and ends in Arlington, on Route 80. I haven't hit that trail yet but it is on the bucket list.

Snowys are raw, remote, and thin air. Not for everyone.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Dammit man. My in laws are in Centennial so when I am in town, I can be at the bottom of the North Fork Little Laramie trail in a few minutes. It's the difference between IMBA and old school Forest Service trails.

Up on top is a another animal. There is a 12ish mile loop that is a giant rock garden. Last time I rode it, I averaged 4.5 mph. But if you feel like slow going rock crawling moves for hours (fuck yeah) its proper. At 12,000 ft no less. It's called Matildas alpine loop on Strava. Then theres the Rock Creek shuttle that starts on top of the Snowys and ends in Arlington, on Route 80. I haven't hit that trail yet but it is on the bucket list.

Snowys are raw, remote, and thin air. Not for everyone.
Dood! Great info! Will def do some research! I'll see if it's on "PinkForks" :D (that's my name for Trail Forks on Pinkbike LOL)

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Are you going to make straight 1-1/8 and 26"?? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

@PUSHIND I'd rather know where and when you're going to ride that fancy Yet-E?! LOL Thing looks amazing.

Let's see if my E-Commencal can keep up!

I'm thinking tomorrow, Lory or Curt Gowdy :)
We just got our test bike this past week. I took it out two days ago but am sidelined for a week or so as I cut off the end of my thumb making lunch yesterday of all things and have to get it healed up. Amazing bike though!

that # was the MOQ quoted from the dude who runs Intend. i'd read it from the same article.

it was an example. the #'s are ballparks based on what i've heard from others in the industry, but that's based on mnfg in ASPAC. for the scale (and high end focus) of your company I wouldn't expect you to start off with such a large commitment on an NPI. if you've found a domestic foundry that will take on smaller volumes (and with costs that make sense for the product), that's absolutely awesome.
Interesting...from my experience those numbers are not even close. Maybe if you're trying to compete with Rock Shox and Fox for an OEM pricepoint? MRP and FOX have both come out with gravel forks recently using cast lower legs and those certainly are not high volume products.

Anyway, just seems like some misinformation has been inflated as it's been passed along the internet. The real cost is the time and energy it takes to prototype...not getting a casting done. It takes a lot of time, manpower, and money for prototyping before you get there. Basically a team of people.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

We just got our test bike this past week. I took it out two days ago but am sidelined for a week or so as I cut off the end of my thumb making lunch yesterday of all things and have to get it healed up. Amazing bike though!

Interesting...from my experience those numbers are not even close. Maybe if you're trying to compete with Rock Shox and Fox for an OEM pricepoint? MRP and FOX have both come out with gravel forks recently using cast lower legs and those certainly are not high volume products.

Anyway, just seems like some misinformation has been inflated as it's been passed along the internet. The real cost is the time and energy it takes to prototype...not getting a casting done. It takes a lot of time, manpower, and money for prototyping before you get there. Basically a team of people.

People don't cost anything. Just hire people willing to work for the exposure.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've worked w/ manufacturing my entire career, with products where everything is 100% done by hand start to finish, to manufacturing sites where a single line could put out a quarter million pieces a shift. i've dealt with suppliers who won't even respond to inquiries if the order sizes you'll be placing aren't large enough. i've also dealt with suppliers that'll fulfill your smaller orders, but the total order price was the same regardless if we were ordering 1k pieces or 5k pieces, because for the smaller runs they'd be spending more time setting up the lines than they would be running them.
neat. this has what to do with PUSH's business needs and capabilities?

...the real cost is the time and energy it takes to prototype...not getting a casting done. It takes a lot of time, manpower, and money for prototyping before you get there. Basically a team of people.
dude just grab whatever existing diameter stanchion chassis you're going for, throw your elevensix damper and acs3 spring setups in there and curb check it in the parking lot. prototyping and testing is done, then just order a bunch of csu's and lowers and bolt them together. you seem to want to make this way more difficult than needed.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nice, that sounds good! :thumb:
Looking forward to a new fork. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, i'd say its a safe bet those are fox/rs #s given they were from people that were product managers or involved with product development.

regarding gravel forks, they may not be high volume #s now, but they're likely looking forward of several years of forecast in a growing segment, and i'm assuming there will be OEM adoption of those as well. plus, gravel racing will be UCI sanctioned next year. similarly, there's a vendor i work with that when we started doing business with them, their MOQ was 5k parts. now we do enough business with them that they'll do runs of 100-500 pcs no questions asked at the same unit price as an order of 5k.

absolutely. for new lines / processes we spend millions / 10s of millions on R&D / production scale up / validation before we even get regulatory approval for release to market.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had a customer in Detroit that specialized in magnesium casting and machining. One of their operators disabled a low coolant interlock switch on a machining center. Machine temporarily ran out of coolant, which started a magnesium fire, when the coolant started running again the molten magnesium reacted with the water and released a bunch of hydrogen wich eventually mixed with fresh oxygen and exploded. A pretty much brand new $2,000,000 cnc machine was turned into a burnt carcass. The operator survived but had some nasty burns on his back. The explosion tossed molten plexiglass and magnesium onto his back as he was running away.