Quantcast

Push Shocker

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was going to start this thread and call it the dual overhead valve shock. Interesting with the hydro bottomout adjust, looks decent....but still $1200 and I don't feel the need for two separate compression circuits.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I was going to start this thread and call it the dual overhead valve shock. Interesting with the hydro bottomout adjust, looks decent....but still $1200 and I don't feel the need for two separate compression circuits.
Do both compression circuits have the same range and rebound setting? Like is one sort of a climb mode or could you theoretically tune them both for descending but have one for jump trails and one for smashy smashy trails?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They cost $800 each but you buy one / get one 1/2 off.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
or could you theoretically tune them both for descending but have one for jump trails and one for smashy smashy trails?
That's kind of the idea, as in you'd have to revalve the main HSC to get a real difference, so with the Push, you can have two separately tuned circuits...but I find that the well tuned damping that adds a lot of good stability to the bike while being all smashy-smashy also does a lot to make it pedal better and handle better overall. One limited situation where I feel a stiffer shock (air shock) is better is on the baby-butt-smooth flow type trails, so I guess theoretically you could just flip a switch, but I have an air shock I can hook up if that's going to be my main riding that day and a good custom tune seems to go so far already.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
No words on weight. I might finally buy one if it's lighter than the first gen stuff.
I'd be a lot more inclined to buy one if they made a single circuit version that was like... $800 or whatever.

On the other hand, RC4s are great, cheap as fuck these days, and I've been hoarding. Don't need moar shox.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do both compression circuits have the same range and rebound setting? Like is one sort of a climb mode or could you theoretically tune them both for descending but have one for jump trails and one for smashy smashy trails?
With the type of "riding" you do these days, don't you mean "could one be tuned for technical climbs, and one for flow climbs?"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It will go great with eewings and trickstuff brakes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Makes sense I think--I already upgraded from the V1 to V2 piston and stuff during a swap to new frame. I've had zero issues with bottoming and am fine with the simple bumper so no loss if HBO isn't on the table.
you also don't ride a bike with a retarded leverage curve that requires things like hbo

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I dont see the need for 2 circuits personally. I try to avoid flow trails. But if riding them I just up the HSC a bit. Granted my shock is great.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was expecting (and hoping) for something more traditional with one compression circuit, less expensive and good for enduro and DH. What they have is cool and I'd like to try one, but I'm currently happy with my CCDB Air and climb switch. I suppose I'll keep on with my idea of finding a bigger Fox Van RC and having my Push MX-2 parts swapped over.

If you have a frame that's so linear, what's the point of having that HBO if it only kicks in during the last 15%?? You need that ramp-up earlier.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I was expecting (and hoping) for something more traditional with one compression circuit, less expensive and good for enduro and DH.
Being a fan of the current shock, I can't understand why they have not filled this niche. I'd love to put one on my DH bike and given the option would probably opt for a single circuit, lighter weight, cheaper version for my trail bike. I do like the dual version for my megatrail because it sees a really wide variety of use--everything from jump trails, gravel climbing, rolling trails and full on DH type stuff in Pisgah. It's nice to have a supportive trail mode and a no holds barred DH mode on that bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Being a fan of the current shock, I can't understand why they have not filled this niche. I'd love to put one on my DH bike and given the option would probably opt for a single circuit, lighter weight, cheaper version for my trail bike. I do like the dual version for my megatrail because it sees a really wide variety of use--everything from jump trails, gravel climbing, rolling trails and full on DH type stuff in Pisgah. It's nice to have a supportive trail mode and a no holds barred DH mode on that bike.
someone posted in another thread lamenting PUSH not doing a Dh shock, and mentioned that PUSH has indicated there's no market for DH shocks. I take that to mean that there's no market for PUSH, as they couldn't produce a DH shock with enough improvements over "standard" DH shocks at a price point people would be willing to pay.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
New shock is the same weight as the old.

Id run one on my DH bike; gnar trails and jumps trails and the exact scenario for the dual circuit config.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm also curious to know if you'll actually use all the travel your frame is supposed to give: Bottom out bumpers will never compress to the point where they don't take up space in the stroke of the shock, then add to that HBO...It almost feels seems like it's a band-aid for bikes that shouldn't use coil shocks.

side note - I've always wondered why shock/suspension companies didn't take into account the space a bottom out bumper takes up in the stroke of a shock at full bottom out. A few mm's can mean a lot of suspension travel in the frame.

At the end of the day, I'm no expert. What do I know?! (seriously, I don't know anything)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
someone posted in another thread lamenting PUSH not doing a Dh shock, and mentioned that PUSH has indicated there's no market for DH shocks. I take that to mean that there's no market for PUSH, as they couldn't produce a DH shock with enough improvements over "standard" DH shocks at a price point people would be willing to pay.
This makes sense--they are a small shop and just like GG need to go where the market is. I do think they could sell a 1000 dollar kick ass DH shock but as you say, small market. If they made a single tune enduro shock and happened to make it in a stroke and eye to eye that fit DH bikes, it seems you'd <Ricky>get two birds stoned at once<Ricky> and avoid the costs of a DH specific R&D/tooling/etc.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
bah

There's no 'dh specific' tooling. The metric shocks they're making now are 11mm shorter than a 9.5" shock.

Since dh bikes aren't stupid and have only one or two shock lengths there would be far fewer specific sizes than making 12 metric sizes and 5 or 6 legacy SAE sizes per trailbike frame like they're doing now. They're already doing a bunch of customer specific shit, this would mostly just be one more size.

We need to just get someone to say they're starting a new ENDURO™ bike company, specifically advertised at golf courses and ski resorts that uses a new metric standard size of 241x76.2, talk about it on facebook and mtbr/pinkbike a lot then maybe darren will make one.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
bah

There's no 'dh specific' tooling. The metric shocks they're making now are 11mm shorter than a 9.5" shock.

Since dh bikes aren't stupid and have only one or two shock lengths there would be far fewer specific sizes than making 12 metric sizes and 5 or 6 legacy SAE sizes per trailbike frame like they're doing now. They're already doing a bunch of customer specific shit, this would mostly just be one more size.

We need to just get someone to say they're starting a new ENDURO™ bike company, specifically advertised at golf courses and ski resorts that uses a new metric standard size of 241x76.2, talk about it on facebook and mtbr/pinkbike a lot then maybe darren will make one.
Think we are saying the same thing--you have just laid out a moar lizard proof sales pitch.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
With the type of "riding" you do these days, don't you mean "could one be tuned for technical climbs, and one for flow climbs?"
You should get one and have one tune for the bike hanging against the wall collecting dust, and another for being buried under a pile of laundry :cool:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm over these custom built shocks. Too expensive to resize and when you try to sell it, unless you find someone that weighs the same as you and has the same frame, you lose a ton of money because you have to factor in the costs of resizing.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm over these custom built shocks. Too expensive to resize and when you try to sell it, unless you find someone that weighs the same as you and has the same frame, you lose a ton of money because you have to factor in the costs of resizing.
It would have been fine if they weren't changing the goddamned standards every couple of years. :banghead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IMO, it's not bad if you keep your bike more than 2 seasons...but if you are a 1-2 seasons and trash-it kind of guy...well no, it's not worth it at all.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well there are several ways to mitigate it, like if you need the latest and greatest new frame at $3500-4000 and are just gong to dump it in a season or two...yeah, spending a bunch for a custom valved shock is a lot, but if you are buying last year's frame or something that is more reasonably priced, it makes a lot more sense, and that's where I don't pay attention as much to the "what if my shock ends up being more than my frame?", as the total cost is still far less and the proper suspension that can smash through stuff at speed is worth it. I did buy one of the expensive frames a few years ago...but Iv'e kept it, it still works great. For my XC bike...it had a mfg flaw and was replaced after two seasons, so one season down on the "new" frame and I hope to get a few more out of it, so again, worthwhile, and that one I picked up at a steep discount in the first place. These days I factor in proper suspension into the total cost, it's not just about custom tune, it's about having decent circuits that at least halfway do what they are supposed to do, as some of the OEM stuff is just bat-shit-crazy in terms of poor performance.