Quantcast

push

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
how many of you have had your dhx's pushed? i want to get it done, is it worth the nearly 200$?

what did you monkies think of the service?

has anyone had it done and put it on an SX Trail?

Oct 8, 2003
On my V10 after I got it done it did pedal better and never bottomed out ever. I don't think bump compliance was any better at all though. I don't have that bike anymore and I won't be getting it done again for the 200$.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I did it a long time ago when I had my M1 but won't really do it again. It felt really good and pedaled a bit better but it's simply not worth the $200.
Besides, if you push it, Fox won't service it at races. That's the main reason I just have a stock DHX 5.0 on my M3.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
I did it a long time ago when I had my M1 but won't really do it again. It felt really good and pedaled a bit better but it's simply not worth the $200.
Besides, if you push it, Fox won't service it at races. That's the main reason I just have a stock DHX 5.0 on my M3.
Yea, Fox service guy would not even change my bushings because it was pushed. He did give them to me thou.

Oct 8, 2003
yea it was good im not saying it wasn't good. But the bike didnt really bottom out before and pedaled pretty good before. I got it done because I thought that bump compliance would be better and it was not better and it was not worse just the same. For me it was not worth 200 and then on top of that like everyone said if it breaks at a big race and fox is there and can fix it they won't.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
The push factory tuning costs $180 and includes a rebuild.
I'm not sure how much fox charges for a rebuild but I figure at least $50.
So factory tuning really only costs $130 if your shock is due for a rebuild.

I have a pushed fox Rp23.
I didnt really get a chance to ride it stock as it got stuck down sortly after I purchased it 2nd hand. I sent it to push for a rebuild and had the factory tuning done to it.

After the push tuning your shock is in theory better sealed and has higher quality shock oil in it so it should therefore perform better for longer between rebuilds (fewer rebuilds = $$$ saved).

Also consider that for many applications Push can make a Fox Van R feel better than a stock DHX5.

I dont think its worth pushing a brand new dhx.
I think if your rebuilding your dhx anyway its definitely worth the $130 or less to push it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I think if your rebuilding your dhx anyway its definitely worth the $130 or less to push it.
I sent mine in for that very reason....looking foward to having it shimmed for my weight, i think that plus the parts upgrades make it worthwhile.....

If you're a fairly light rider or a bit heavier there's more benefit.....

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I sent my 5.0 through push and got the Factory Tune for my Commencal DH Supreme. At first I was very disappointed when I received the shock because of the very slow sluggish feel from the very slow rebound. After riding it a couple of times I got used to the slow feeling since it would start rebounding quicker the faster the shock got compressed. The Pushed Tech guys were very helpful in every step to tune the shock more for my tastes. Is it worth it? I believe so. It rode ahell of alot better then my stock DHX, but If you have the money Id spend it on a better shock maybe a Vivid or a CCDB. just my 2 cents...

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
The push factory tuning costs $180 and includes a rebuild.
I'm not sure how much fox charges for a rebuild but I figure at least $50.
So factory tuning really only costs $130 if your shock is due for a rebuild.

I have a pushed fox Rp23.
I didnt really get a chance to ride it stock as it got stuck down sortly after I purchased it 2nd hand. I sent it to push for a rebuild and had the factory tuning done to it.

After the push tuning your shock is in theory better sealed and has higher quality shock oil in it so it should therefore perform better for longer between rebuilds (fewer rebuilds = $$$ saved).

Also consider that for many applications Push can make a Fox Van R feel better than a stock DHX5.

Fox charges $100 to rebuild a DHX.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
^ Thats pretty rediculous that fox would charge $100. I hope they change out EVERYTHING for new parts - but in reality I doubt they do as some of the stuff hardly sees much wear. I did it myself, and I've never rebuilt a rear shock of any sort before. I only had to buy one "special" tool if you could call it that - a circlip tool. I played around with the shims, and the "boost" spring or whatever fox wants to call it, and to be honost, its now the best feeling shock... ever (readers note - I was not blind as to what the internals do before I "operated" on the shock, even if my writing makes it appear that way). all that for $15 (cost of decent 5wt synthetic susp oil). Dont be afraid to rip your bike parts apart, you'd be surprised at how simple some of them are, despite the marketing voodoo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
has anyone had it done to a 5th??
You can do a 5th on your own; take it apart, remove the SPV(cv/t) valve, replace with a shim stack. While you're at it I'd swap the o-rings too. Any well equipped moto shop should have all the shims you'll need. I don't have a TON of experience with it, so I couldn't really tell you where to start when it comes to the specs of the shims you need, but some other monkies here could give you a good starting point.

This site has a good writeup:

http://mtbshock.com/swinger_5th_shim_mod.htm

You can also order a shim kit and o-rings for $35 + shipping that will be pretty spot on to your weight and frame. I'm sure there's a way to calculate this (but I have no idea, can someone give me a clue?)